Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Removing Floors From Segments

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 14:11
Ok, so I am working on a dungeon-crawler style game, and while things are going ok I seem to have a slight problem. And I'm hoping that someone out here can call me a noob and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I created a room using basic Wall-01 from Dark Egypt, and then used a rotating fake wall to create a secret, hidden passage. The passage is more like a shaft, leading down to another floor in the dungeon. There is only a 1 floor difference (from 4 down to 3). On floor 3, I use the Wall-01 segment to start the hallway that the character drops in to. This works fine. It's at floor 4 in this shaft that I have a problem.

When I draw the entire segment (walls and floor - I needn't worry about the ceiling as this shaft is directly underneath an existing floor), the floor is drawn. So I go to the command to draw floors only, hover the cursor over the floor, right-click, and....a different texture for the floor appears. I am guessing that this is normal for Dark Egypt as every other segment I've used from Modern, WW2, Sci Fi, etc., works as expected - the floor is removed.

So I sit around and try to figure out how to get this to work. I don't want to use entities - I'm trying to keep the same look throughout the level. I delete the segment and try painting only the walls. But the floor gets painted as well. Hmm. I rotate the cursor and paint the walls from the outside of the shaft. The floors get painted, but not in the space I need to stay clear. This seems to work, and the floors aren't in the way of anything, right? I test the level, spin the fake wall, and the walls....look different? There is a different texture for the outside of the wall as there is for the inside of the wall. Ugh!

So I'm frustrated. Is there a way (apart from re-texturing the whole wall) to get the floors in Dark Egypt Basic Wall-01 to not paint when painting the walls?
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Email Rosstradamus (Dark Egypt author) and search around his threads. I know he released an update/patch for that pack but I don't remember what it was for.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 14:44
I'm using Dark Egypt at the moment for my game http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=139123&b=25, I might be able to help but I'm not quite grasping what you're saying, could you post a pic or two so I can take a better look?

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
I think he's just saying he can't delete a the ground/ceiling section after placing a segment from that pack.
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 15:16 Edited at: 29th Oct 2008 15:21
Leon Kennedy

I have just spotted this post.

Are you using the latest version of Dark Egypt (Dark Egypt-V2) which should be available to you in your 'Order History' on your profile page?
This new 'V2' version has replaced the original version and the one main difference is that there are now 'individual' ceiling segments instead of ceilings being added automaticly when placing rooms in
the FPSC Editor.

Which version of FPSC are you using?
I ask because from FPSC v-9.0 (I think?) and onwards a new 'automatic ceiling' feature was coded into FPSC which I have found causes problems with removing and adding floors and ceilings when useing the Dark Egypt V2 Pack.
This 'automatic ceiling' feature can be swithched off but I can't remember how it is done at the moment but I will search and find out and post back here to let you know when I find the method.
This is most likely where the problem is.

Hope this helps for the moment and I will get back to this asap.

Good luck

Ps....It might also help to have a look through the Dark Egypt PDF Manuals if you havn't already done so.

They can be found at the bottom of the page in the link below:

http://www.fpscreator.com/pack8.html
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 15:16 Edited at: 29th Oct 2008 15:17
Do you have Dark Egypt V2?

Edit: same time

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 16:35
I believe I have V2, and I am running FPSC 1.09. And if the problem is with the automatic ceiling feature in FPSC 9, then I would really like to know how to turn this off so I can continue using the segments that I need to.

And btw - Dark Egypt is very cool. Love the models - they are quite outstanding.
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 21:00
Leon Kennedy

Thanks for your comments and I.m glad you like the Pack.

I have searched in the forum to find the method for turning this option 'off' but have not found it yet but I have seen and used it before (so, it is out there somewhere).

Maybe someone else who reads this post can give us a recap of the method to use?

It might be mentioned in Nickydudes PDF Guide?

I will keep looking myself and let you know as soon as possible.

All the best of luck.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 21:15
To turn off Auto-Ceiling...

Quote: "Open the folder files\languagebank\english\textfiles
Now open the file fpsc-050.txt into notepad
Search for the number 406
You should see this: 406=
Place a 1 after the equal sign making it 406=1
Save the file"

Best.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 21:16
Leon, if you can make a .fpm of just what you're trying to do I'll load it up and take a look.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 22:36
xplosys

Thank you very much for the information, I will make a point this time of saving this somewhere safe for future reference.

Again, thanks and I hope this may help Leon Kennedy with his issue.
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 23:40
I tried the tip about changing the fpsc-050 file, and it didn't work.

I know I have v2 for Dark Egypt, but the manual for that is of no help either.

Basically, here's the issue:

I have a 2 story shaft that I am trying to create using wall-01 from Dark Egypt Basic. I draw story 1 and go to paint floors only mode. I right click, and whether there is another segment below or not the floor does not disappear - a new floor texture appears.

I'm not sure how to take care of this.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 01:20
So basically you're putting one segment on top of another to make a shaft and then trying to remove the floor in between yes?

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 01:31
Quote: "So basically you're putting one segment on top of another to make a shaft and then trying to remove the floor in between yes?"

That's correct, my good man. It works with room segments from all model packs EXCEPT Dark Egypt. Which is extremely weird.

Anyhow, I finally decided to just use a fake floor entity, and 3 wall entities. I stuck with Dark Egypt entities due to the overall likeness and appeal for a dungeon (I know - egyptian stuff looks like dungeon stuff), and now when the player steps on the floor they will just fall right through. Nice effect, although not the one I was going for.

If anyone knows how to fix my original problem, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll just go with what I did.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 01:41
That is weird because I've just tried it and it worked perfectly. I created a 3-story high single segment shaft using wall-01 from Dark Egypt V2 and removed all flooring by switching to 'floor' and right clicking to remove them.

Try it with a completely new blank map, see if the same thing happens.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 12:50
Tried it with a new map, and the same thing happened. For some reason I cannot remove the floors and create a shaft with Dark Egypt segments. I guess the only way around this is to use entities when I need to create a shaft with Dark Egypt.
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 17:36
@Ross: Just so you know, I sent you an email on this issue. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2008 15:38
Leon Kennedy

In case you read this first I have replied to your e-mail and also look forward to futher correspondence.

Good luck

Ross

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 15:21:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 15:21:15