Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / [Idea] Community theme pack

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 00:23 Edited at: 4th Nov 2008 00:24
Well, Christmas is coming up and I thought it could be a nice idea to have a go at a music pack with a consistent theme.
As you all probably know, except for those lucky ones out there actually having music as their sole means for living, time is a big factor here and hence it is almost impossible to finish this sort of thing by oneself in a reasonable amount of time.
Therefore, I was thinking that we could have a go at it as a community, writing maybe one (or more, if you're up for it of course) tracks per person and we might just be able to have a sequence of songs compiled by yule. This could probably serve as a means of getting the other parts of this community to notice the music board as well, which I would say is far from unneccessary

This is just an idea as of current, but I think it could be fun and blow some further life into these desolate pages.
Also, I for myself at least, would find it intriguing to have a shot at writing in a specific genre, for a specific scene, etc.

So, let me know what you think about this

Cheers,
Rudolpho

-> Oh, come on...
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 01:39 Edited at: 4th Nov 2008 01:42
I think that this is a great idea I'm not so good at deciding themes though I usually just look for an image of a scene and write something about it XD lol

I'm in for whatever genre/scene you got

EDIT: Acutally, maybe something actiony, like a battle theme or something

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 19:06
some one comes up with a theme and im in for a couple of tracks , never really just done the music without singing and guitar work so i`m in for a challenge ,keep me on mi toes lol.

chunks

nvidia geforce 8600gt + amd athlon 64
windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 19:12
Well, I'm no star at deciding themes either
I suppose a good old RPG soundtrack could be a good idea, as you can incoperate pretty much in that genre.

-> Oh, come on...
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 20:28 Edited at: 4th Nov 2008 20:33
How old-school? Like NES era or PSX era lol

If NES, we gotta be limited to basic synth settings like wave and sine synths

EDIT: Forgot about SNES lol

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 20:49
Heh, no, "full quality" is fine with me (as in 44.1KHz CD quality audio).

-> Oh, come on...
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 20:57
Ok. That means that I can make an orchestrated track

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 22:21
Yep

Nobody else interrested?
Come on, people!

-> Oh, come on...
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 13:23
I'd love to be part of this, but I hate to promise things too because I tend to get the composer's block when it suits me less.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 13:40
That goes for me too, and that's why I don't like definitive deadlines. Usually you can come up with something that you can adapt sooner or later though, if you have several weeks to think (and of course aren't too distracted by other things that you have to get done).

-> Oh, come on...
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 19:12
I like the idea! Except I am not musically talented and couldn't contribute.

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3D hack N slash http://lastswordsmen.freezoka.com
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 19:33
Quote: "I am not musically talented and couldn't contribute."

That doesn't stop anyone else from making "music" and playing it on TV without end.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 19:40 Edited at: 6th Nov 2008 19:40
Well I am a coder and not a professional at that. I am going to college this year for programming, but its not that exciting to me as I had expected it to be. Any way back on topic, I tried making music and it sounds bad, I'm not sure people would even like listening to it in the background to a dumb commercial.

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3D hack N slash http://lastswordsmen.freezoka.com
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 21:01
Well, you could always give it a try, no?
(Both of you, that is)

-> Oh, come on...
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 00:01
here is my first little loop , its nothing special was just using it to get the latencys right in cubase , nearly there lol .

hope someone comes up with somthing cool to spur us on ...

chunks

windows xp pro.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 00:25
Quote: "Well, you could always give it a try, no?
(Both of you, that is)"

I...can not........counter......powerful argument.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 13:37
Yeah, I know, I've got mad retoric skills.

@Chunks: Other than the tempo being a bit untight, I really like that chord progression
Sounds really nice, "medieval-ish".

-> Oh, come on...
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 21:11 Edited at: 12th Nov 2008 21:11
Ok, so here's what I've come up with.
The rythm didn't quite turn out as I originally intended (it was obviously very hard to sequentiate), but by now, after getting used to it, I think it sounds pretty well anyways.

Medieval theme
I think it would fit quite well as a village theme, or possibly a forest theme.
Edit: forgot to say, it's not quite finished yet.

-> Oh, come on...
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 15:16
Not bad.

I may have misunderstood, but the theme is open? I thought it had to sound "xmassy"?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 16:07
Thanks.

Well, to bring together the main points on the theme as of yet:
Quote: "I suppose a good old RPG soundtrack could be a good idea, as you can incoperate pretty much in that genre."

Quote: "..."full quality" is fine with me (as in 44.1KHz CD quality audio)."

Quote: "That means that I can make an orchestrated track"

So, in other words it's pretty free.
A christmas-carols collection would have been way to limited

Anyways, since nobody has said anything else, I suppose that we're going for an RPG pack. The medieval influences are not neccessary; I just thought it was a fitting sound.

-> Oh, come on...
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 17:19
But moooooom (cartman voice), I've already made something not-quite-RPG stuff.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 21:02
Aw... Well, I guess we can live with that...

-> Oh, come on...
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 21:21
I'm not so sure.

chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 22:16 Edited at: 13th Nov 2008 22:20
nice work rudolpho , ive got to really pull something great out of the bag to match that .

what would sound nice if you`d let me add a real classical guitar ,you could omit the guitar strum and i could add it ,although it sounds great anyways .

looking forward to hearing something from you grandma .

chunks

ps:
@rudolpho what sequencer do ya use , i`m having a real nightmare with cubase sx and asio4all any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ive got the same midi interface as you , if that helps.

windows xp pro.
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 22:26
Well, everybody is posting W.I.P's so I figured that I would post mine

It is currently very messy, and in no actual sequence to enter the orchestrated parts.

Attachments

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 00:44 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 00:46
@Chunks: Thanks, I'd love that; I'll send you a copy without the guitar part tomorrow
(ehrm... it's today already, huh?)

Well, I'm actually not sure whether you could call it a sequencer or not, but I'm using Sibelius for my sequencing / tracking / what you now want to call it. Its mainly designed for generating printable scores, but it has great midiOut functionality too (you need a separate sampler though; I'm using Kontakt). The sad thing is they're both rather expensive (but I don't know, maybe you won't have to save up for almost a year, like me ). I don't know anything about Cubase really, so sorry, I don't think I can be of any help there.
But if the problem is that the playback response is too slow, you could always check the latency setting of your ASIO driver (although I'm most certain you knew that already).

@DPP: Sounds really nice
I'll comment further on it tomorrow; right now I'm due for bed - I've to get up again in less than five hours...

And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing Grandmas masterpiece as well... (I bet it's more synth reggae )

Quick edit: there were apparently a lot of smilies here... oh well, I'll just blame it on my tiredness for now.

-> Oh, come on...
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 16:56
Quote: "And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing Grandmas masterpiece as well... (I bet it's more synth reggae)"

I don't know how to interpret that one, seemed condescending.

Anyway this one isn't done, and as usual, isn't really fit for a game. I'll see if I can whip up something else. Making music fitting for games is incredibly hard when you don't know what makes game music, game music.

@ da power pwnerer
Very nice. I didn't find it very "messy".

Attachments

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 19:37
Maybe my humour sucks... I was just hinting at you calling it "not-fit-for-an-RPG" and your contest entry. No disrespect intended.

Well, the first part of your song sounds really nice and pretty much shouts "Underwater ruins level" at me, so yes, I think it could fit very well in a game indeed
That theme is somewhat broken off by the "rock parts", but I still think it could be welded to fit into something. And that was a wonderful break beginning at 2.14

@da power pwnerer again: your compositions are really progressing forward at high velocity. I agree with Grandma that there's not much of a mess going on; possibly some further mixing of the instruments could clear that one up completely, but it really isn't all that noticeble at all. And that's a nice theme too, good work

@chunks: I've mailed you my song without the guitar parts.

-> Oh, come on...
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 23:46 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 23:47
Quote: "Maybe my humour sucks... I was just hinting at you calling it "not-fit-for-an-RPG" and your contest entry. No disrespect intended."

It's alright, I'm just overly analytic because I'm fairly used to being insulted in sarcastic and condescending ways.

And thanks. Yes, with some underwater stuff inspiration, I could churn that song out differently to fit that. But I also have another WIP that shows some promise. I'll see about deciding which to go for.

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 04:57
@Rudolpho- Thanks for the comments I really liked you medieval theme, especially the acoustic sounds

@Grandma- I could see your song going into a film rather than a game for some reason lol XD I liked it though. It gave me an action-ish yet soft vibe, which I like to hear Hope to see (well, hear) your other piece.

I should have mine finished by Sunday/Monday

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2008 00:26
If you've got the time, I'd say go for them both.
We're just four people here it seems, so it could be needed in order to put together something that could correctly be labeled a "pack" (I guess at the very least six or eight songs would be required).

@da power pwnerer: Thanks. We'll see if chunks can add in a real acoustic guitar too; I'm looking forward to hearing from him with anticipation.

-> Oh, come on...
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2008 23:53 Edited at: 16th Nov 2008 23:57
i am working on it just struggling a little after a long break from recording and such ,almost got the intro though .

I might record a cover to get me back into the swing of things , plus i`ve managed to get my stuff set up permanently so i can use it when i like which is a bonus.

chunks .

@grandma cool tune it could be quite fitting for action/fps , i nearly jumped out of my skin when it went into the guitars, i had my headphones too loud lol.

windows xp pro.
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds great but im not good in singing in the shower so...

IV
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 20:34
Alright. I have 7 tracks I could throw into this pack now.

Don't be alarmed, only 2 of them are newly composed. The others are unreleased and/or "remastered". But that makes them new to other people and I guess that's jolly good then.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 21:43 Edited at: 18th Nov 2008 21:44
Seven!
Oh my, this doesn't look too good in my favor; I hardly have one song... I decided to have a go at another one yesterday, but it didn't turn out well unfortunately, so I think I'll have to scrap that idea and come up with another one...

Anyways, yes; sounds great that you have such a library ready

-> Oh, come on...
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 23:36
I'm not very satisfied with the outcome of this, but tell me what you think - should I try to make something out of it or have a clean start?

-> Oh, come on...

Attachments

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 00:55 Edited at: 19th Nov 2008 00:56
Quote: "Oh my, this doesn't look too good in my favor; I hardly have one song... I decided to have a go at another one yesterday, but it didn't turn out well unfortunately, so I think I'll have to scrap that idea and come up with another one..."

You probably try too hard. Don't worry if it doesn't come out as awesome as your flagship song. It's hard to top that one anyway. And it's not a competition.

...oh, your sig: "competitive". Well, I am too, a bit. It does help sometimes though as a motivator.

Quote: "I'm not very satisfied with the outcome of this, but tell me what you think - should I try to make something out of it or have a clean start?"

I thought it was awesome.
Add another segment, see if you can hit the 1 minute mark, and you have yourself a nice track that could play in a shop, main menu or "create caracter" screen.

I just came over a very old WIP. Finished it swiftly. So yeah, 8 tracks.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 10:54
Heh, I was just joking in the first part; I'm usually happy if I can create one or two songs a month. Maybe I'll trow in some of my older songs too, but they're mostly supposed to have lyrics (no, I don't write, and the guys who are supposed to always bail out...) and also be performed by a real band and / or orchestra (the recording is not optimized and just intended to give a feel of how it should sound) so I'm unsure whether it would fit in on this occassion.

And about my sig, I just put it there because it's hardly correct at all (as hinted at by the Oh, come on... I wrote beneath). Well, maybe I'm a bit competitive (who aren't? ), but I wouldn't regard myself as stubborn or arrogant. Also, Seifer was one of my least favourite characters in FFVIII, so I thought it was a pretty funny outcome

On the song; thanks - I felt it didn't have very much structure (tried to go for something like these baroque scale-based fugues), but I might try to shape it up.

-> Oh, come on...
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 15:16 Edited at: 19th Nov 2008 15:17
send some my way rudolpho i will have a go at some lyrics/vocals for you .

most of the time my lyrics don`t come out great but on the odd time i come up with something great , but thats the way it goes lol.

as for my vocal talents ive got a very wide range i just need to start using again , get it working .

other night i did an acoustic cover of the sam sparrow song black and gold it turned out quite well , just need to add a few more tweaks .

anyways i think my tunes are a bit sub-standard for this pack but i will keep trying .

windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 20:46
I'll see if I can find a fitting one; I think I might be better off reusing a theme of one of my older songs and do something new with it.
The thing is that I usually write for female voices though...
But I'll see what I can do, as said.

-> Oh, come on...
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2008 20:57
i`ll just get our lass to stand on mi toes lol so i can sing high, not bad at falsetto (probably wrong spelling) either .

looking forward to it ...

chunks

windows xp pro.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 00:18
Hehe, okey, we'll see about that
I've found a song that might work; it's not very RPG-ish though, but I'll send it over and you can see what you think about it

-> Oh, come on...
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 23:24
So... did you all go into hibernation now or what?
I can't blame you though... we have had such a blizzard in Sweden today that you could hardly go outside...

Anyways, just letting you know that I've come up with an idea for another track that might be used as a main theme, if no-one else have such a track?

-> Oh, come on...
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 20:08
Hibernating, yes.

I'm thinking of not releasing all those tracks. Because then I wouldn't have anything for the next pack.

Haven't composed for a while, most of my stuff that's ready are from old WIP's I finished. Seem to lack inspiration.

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 23:10
sorry i couldn't get my song finished yet. I've been really busy with other things like thanksgiving and my music entry for a contest. I'll have it up soon though

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2008 15:07
I see, well, yes it's hard to think something up when asked, I know.
I usually record the things I come up with straight away (sometimes this is of course not possible though, and sadly in 90% of those cases, the idea finds it way out of my mind) and keep a nice pile of those "ideas" around to be used as a basis when it is time to compose. More than seldom there is nothing fitting in there though.

@dpp: Well, there's no big hurry just yet, so no problems

-> Oh, come on...
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 23:43 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2008 23:44
Now however, the hurrying part is drawing near
Are we going to make it or not?
I've got one more song besides the medieval town theme by now anyway, but have been rather busy tinkering with my anthem entry (see the presidency thread) the last weeks.

-> Oh, come on...
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2008 09:43
Now if I only had a gif of one of those desert bushes that roll across the screen.

Should we upload them individually here, or?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2008 11:13

I could compile them into an archive and put up on my host otherwise... it's a pain to download big files from this forum (~40Kb/s)

-> Oh, come on...
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2008 20:12
http://www.home.no/piip4/stoff/
I put the two I was willing to sacrifice here. The void is an ambient song I made probably OVER 9000 years ago.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:31:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:31:43