Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Creating a low-poly wireframe model

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 11:06
Hi All,

I'm just starting to grapple with 3D and I was wondering if there is a way in DarkGDK to create a wireframe model given a set of vertices? Put another way, I have a list of vertices describing my model (a simple spaceship) and I want to be able to plot them and join them to make the wireframe. Is this possible, or should I be looking at creating the model with something like Blender and inporting it as a .x object? I'm only interested in wireframe at the moment.

There are only 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 17:03 Edited at: 4th Nov 2008 17:03
Well, the wireframe part doesn't really matter, as you can just use 'dbSetObjectWireframe()'. Anyway, I guess the best way would be to look into memblocks and store the vertices in a memblock, then create a mesh from it. I'd provide a link, but it should be easy enough to just search for info on this.

If I were you though I'd just make the model in blender then load it as an x file, and set wireframe mode on for the object.

<<---------CLICK IT
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 18:37
its certainly possible to do it vertex by vertex, I'd look at the "loading custom media" tutorial posted here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=123392&b=22.
But I agree with Andrew, its far easier jsut to make a model, that stuff is quite advanced.
Orac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 21:04
Thanks for the replies guys. As you can probably tell, I'm a complete noob at 3D and haven't even grasped the fundamentals yet. I've done a lot of reading today and came up with the same conclusion. I'll have a go at making a model with Blender (which looks as though it'll take a lifetime to master on its own!)

There are only 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 03:28
Blender is easy to learn, it just looks complex.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 09:17:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 09:17:13