Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / DBPro.hpp <---Where can i find this thing?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 11:23
Where is this file located?

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 13:58
Nowhere ... at least not until I re-release my Interface library.

It's a C++ library that from a simplistic point of view allows you to access DBPro commands from your own plug-ins.

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 14:56
I see, so Kjelle used your Interface Library while wrapping the newton dll.

I remember you had issues with the game creators with that library, correct me if im wrong.

Anyhow, i need it. Is there any possibility to get it?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 19:43
Yup, when I re-release it - At this point in time, TGC have no issues with it being released again.

There are a few things I want to update on it first, and I need to write some rudimentary documentation for it at the very least. Once it's ready, I'll start a new thread and upload it.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't understand what your interface does exactly. Is it a Visual C++ version of Aaron's Plugin Template?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=97069&b=5

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 21:48 Edited at: 4th Nov 2008 21:57
Let us say instead that Aaron's plug-in template is a version of my interface library Mine pre-dated his by about 3 years IIRC.

[EDIT]
I didn't remember correctly - 4 and a half to 5 years - where does the time go?

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 02:13 Edited at: 5th Nov 2008 02:14
I wasn't sure from your description if it was a library for building plugins or if it was a framework for compiling and debugging DBP executables from Visual Studio right out of the IDE, like PureGDK does for PureBasic.

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 08:34
IanM, could you give me the last release before updating it?
As im trying to work on a plugins source code which is based on your last version, i may have troubles in the compilation if you update it.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 14:06
Sorry, but there is no 'last release'. This stuff has been in continual use and development - I just stopped packaging it up and distributing it.

You won't have any problems with compatibility. I use it myself, so I'm not going to make things difficult for myself by changing things and breaking all the plug-ins I've written. I have examples that I wrote for the first public release that will still compile and run cleanly.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 17:17
IanM is there any ETA on when you will publish your latest version? And what types of improvements have you made?

I've done work on the same plugin Cucumber is looking into. I have a copy of the DBPro.hpp and associated files, if it's okay with you can I send it along to Cucumber (with no help at all because I'm a hack at C++) ?

Are there any new (since 6.8) changes that Lee made to internal objects which would break plugins using your older interface?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 19:53
Go ahead and give him a copy.

The library is fairly resistant to changes made to internal structures - it only uses the GlobStruct directly. That doesn't mean that your plug-ins are safe though if Lee makes changes to other structures that your code relies upon.

Improvements over what you already have:
- As always, every useful DBPro command is included (up to 7.1b4).
- Inclusion of almost every Matrix1Util plug-in command.
- Addition of new 'private' function calls into some of the DBPro DLLs.
- Shaving a few instructions here and there to make it a little faster.

Support for other plug-ins can be added as long as the plug-in author agrees - it takes a few minutes as long as it isn't an encrypted plug-in. If it is encrypted, I'd need a copy of the string resources.

There are also a few other things I'm doing in my plug-ins that would benefit people if I moved them into the interface too - I'm currently looking into ways to implement/introduce some of them.

I'm also looking into moving more towards using inline functions for further speed increases - not moving everything, but it would cover the majority of the library. That will be a future update though, because it will some drastic changes to my code generator.

No ETA - it'll be done when it's done. It will mostly depend on how I get on with the documentation, but if I'm having too much of a block I'll release the library without it.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 20:19
Ah, ok thanks. I'm a bit new to Globstruct and haven't figured it all out yet, so nervous about any changes Lee makes that might break something in the Newton plugin. 7.1 is very tempting though so I might make the jump and hope for the best.

Cucumber, email me and I'll send the DBpro.hpp stuff that Kjelle was using at the time.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 21:48
The globstruct has lots of extra unused space in it, so anything you use it for will work for years

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
GenChurch
Years of Service
User Offline
What about DBProlight10.dll? My app crashes when ever I try to test play it or after I build it. Obviously it exists or else it wouldn't work.

The error appears when you go to test it at the very end. It asks me to click ok to test but before I can the app craps out. I uninstalled it and re-installed it and still no go...it was working fine yesterday morning now it doesn't want to cooperate

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:22:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:22:12