Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK Upgrade - November 2008

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 17:51
Find attached latest upgrade for Dark GDK. This upgrade brings Dark GDK in line with the latest version of DB Pro.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 18:02
Hi Mike,

That's great news! So, it is inline with 7.0?

As DGDK.NET wasn't released as of yet, will it come out updated to this new version?

[center][center]
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 18:07
Yes it is.

I need to talk to APEXNow about GDK .NET and find out what version he has based everything on. The release for this is imminent anyway so can always update later.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
wow incredible!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
got this error

c:\program files\the game creators\dark gdk\include\DarkSDKBasic3D.h(21) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: '.\..\..\..\Dark Basic Pro SDK\Shared\DBOFormat\dbodata.h': No such file or directory
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 18:48
Double-click on the error message - it will open the file with the error and place you on the offending line.

Comment out that line by adding a double-slash at the start. Now uncomment the line 2 lines up from there and save the file.

Ninjateck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 18:56 Edited at: 10th Nov 2008 19:04
I updated my version and i have a ton of problems.

Also
None of my models are loading that loaded with the previous version
do i need to change my code at all for use with the update ?

is there anyway to remove the update without uninstalling and reinstalling DarkGDK ?

Un Commenting the includes just brings up more errors

http://ninjagms.wetpaint.com/
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 19:06
See IanM's post directly above yours to figure out how to fix the include problem.

However i'm having a simular problem with the models - ALL 3D things are currently hidden from screen... not a single thing is showing? Only gui and 2d?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 19:12
I just got to that same point myself - I've fired off an email to Mike to get him to take a look.

In the meantime, I'd advise everyone to stick with what they've currently got.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
dbSetDisplayMode is not accepting arguments for Multisampling. This was one of the upgrades in the latest dbpro 7

no 3d object is showing here too
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 23:03 Edited at: 10th Nov 2008 23:05
Also with dbSetDisplayMode vsync param set to off and dbSetSyncRate(0), http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=121943&b=15, before I install DarkGDK with VS2008 again, is it fixed where GDK doesnt stay locked at the monitor refresh rate anymore? Thanks

Also Mike or anyone, am I just being blind or isnt there a readme of history of changes( added features, bug fixes, etc. ) with the gdk updates like DBPro has? Thanks...

Inspirational Music: Descent ][ Redbook Audio CD Soundtrack
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 23:07
I'm not sure if I should download this or not. :/

Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6 Ghz 1GB DDR2 RAM GeForce 8600GT Twin Turbo
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 23:21
I suggest you only upgrade the GDK if you wish to experience the issues that come with moving from a stable version to one which has the benefits of U70/U71 and also some of the transitional problems. Sorting the problems may also take some time so bear this in mind. I will be conducting a course over the next five weeks on using the DarkGDK via an MS webcast, and I will be working on the GDK which is now combined with the DBP U71 source code. Also, this update does not promise all the same features that have appeared recently in U70 and U71 as we are using DBP as our main test bed for stabilising the commands and then we can bring them over to GDK. Thanks for the feedback on this early update!

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 23:23
No problems with the normal issues that come from a migration such as this But -all- the 3d content failing to display is pretty epic xD

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 23:26 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 00:18
Ok curiousity got the best of me again...

Yeah that was wierd with how it tried to load that dbodata.h file. rem that line out and un remark that #include <DBO Format/dbodata.h> line. Ofcoarse on to my next complaint....

Can you please get rid of the old multiplayer stuff!?!? Or find somehow where we dont need to compile the parts that need that old dplayx stuff? It's important that I have the latest DirectX stuff installed on my machine. I know there was a way to somehow find that paticular old dx library on the net somewhere and use it to stop the link errors. Please seperate the,yeah IMHO, obsolete stuff. Now, Im stuck trying to figure that all out again.

dplayx errors:

Edit: Got past the multiplayer stuff by creating a dummy multiplayer.lib. And low'n behold, the FPS rate is still caped to the monitor refresh rate!

SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 00:02 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 00:04
Ok, I don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but when it goes to install, there is no default directory in place.

No matter where I try to install to (even all the different TGC folders in Program Files) it says it can not find the DGDK Installation.

Thank you.

EDIT: Is there an official feature list? Does this support Anti-Aliasing now and etc?

www.Helios-Online.net
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 01:14
Since upgrades can sometimes have problems with other loaded libraries, is there a list of what version of VC++2008 and what version of DirectX SDK are being used in the development of this upgraded Dark GDK.

If we know this, then we can match it and maybe save ourselves from some of the problems that may crop up.
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 01:17
Can anyone tell me what directory they installed the Update to?

www.Helios-Online.net
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 01:29
SushiBox, it should install right into your Dark GDK directory. Did you install the Dark GDK from here? http://www.microsoft.com/express/samples/gamecreators/default.aspx

That should install the environment variables/registry or whatever stuff for the update installer to recognize what directory to install in.

The Real Abaddon
Years of Service
User Offline
I`m confirming too that after i installed the updates i have no 3d, i had the problem with the include files myself but solved it after putting a absolute path to dbodata.h

Also would like to see a feature/changelog for this update, this update looks like it was just thrown rapidly to us without proper documentation and debugging.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
how can we get back to the "old" darkgdk before the update? re-isntall darkgdk from scratch?

right now the update is pretty useless as no 3d is diaplyed
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 17:17
Hi Guys,

For those a little nervous about using the latest update I suggest reverting to your original GDK by reinstalling the product. For those who want to brave on, find attached the new update which solves the issues reported in this thread thus far.

Just to remind all, this is not intended to support what U70/U71 supports, just to ensure the transition of the source code does not create problems with what used to work with GDK. I have however made some small additions of the dbSetDisplayModeVSync and dbSetDisplayModeAntialias commands

Best Regards,
Lee

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "

Attachments

The Real Abaddon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 18:02 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 18:11
Mister LeeBamber can we get a full changelog of the update please ?
Thanks.

I`m installing the update now, will report new errors if i encounter.

EDIT: Tested it and the problem is solved, we have 3d again.
EDIT2: I just found the change log but is not detailed...can we get a feature list
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 20:09
I believe what Lee Bamber is trying to say is, this is not a feature update, but the beggining transition into adding more features that are supported in DarkBasic Professional version .70 and beta .71.

However, your saying Anti-Ailiasing is now available in DarGDK? This would be splended. Also depth of field/motion blur support would help bring DarkGDK closer to a AAA game engine.

Good work, first update in a long time! I guess the webcasts and growing interest of DarkGDK is finally bringing some progress.

www.Helios-Online.net
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
dbFogColor - has no effect the fog is always black....
this worked ok in the previouse version....
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
All seems to work fine until now with the latest update!

Especially the dbSetDisplayModeAntialias command was a VERY WELCOME addition.

Thanks a lot Lee!

Now that the code of dbpro and dgdk have been unified i hope that we will be seeing some more frequent upgrades!

Well done once again.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 01:02 Edited at: 12th Nov 2008 07:36
Quote: "dbFogColor - has no effect the fog is always black....
this worked ok in the previouse version.... "

I never found it to work properly in the previous FREE version of Dark GDK.

It always behaved like this following mode:
Quote: "void dbFogColor ( int iG, int iB, int iBLACK )....Red does not work"

From memory when ever I used entries in the third parameter, it always acted as a BLACK fog value.

Quote: "Now that the code of dbpro and dgdk have been unified i hope that we will be seeing some more frequent upgrades!"

I may be wrong but I don't think that is what this upgrade is all about.
We are still limited to the function set that we had before (except for the 2 added extra functions).
It looks more like a structural background change in how the library is put together so that in future it will be easy to upgrade Dark GDK and Dark Basic Pro together.

EDIT: has any one tried some of the other new DBPro equivalent commands to see if they work with this release?

EDIT2: "dbSetDisplayModeAntialias ( 1024, 768, 32, 0, 8, 0);" should set to 8x for AA mode.
The game screen still runs as 0x mode.
Yes "Use Application Setting" is selected in driver.
Yes "Disable Catalyst AI" is disabled in case it was interfering.
Looks like some of these later ATI drivers have been giving problems with AA selections at times.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 11:59 Edited at: 12th Nov 2008 18:51
So far so good, a little common error raised in my installation:

I solved it as usual, adding 'LIBCMT.lib' to the 'Ignore specific library' list. Don't know why this happens. Uh.

Other than that, there are a few issues:

Some objects disappear forever. Since they are 'excluded', I think this is related to this DBPro bug:

7.1b4 - EXCLUDE OBJECT OFF doesn't work after SYNC
(my welcome to DBPro 7.0 bugs)

In-built shadows, using
, become solid from certain angles:

This was not working for previous DGDK 2008, but it was working fine for DGDK 120307 (VS2005). (I haven't tried
.)

[GDK] No Delete/Destroy Terrain Commands I thought that 'destroy terrain' was available since DBPro 6.3

As stated above:

dbSetDisplayModeAntialias is not working properly.

[GDK] dbFogColor A very old bug that, along with the shadows issue, reveals that the fixes made to DGDK 2005 have not been ported to the base DGDK 2008 version, and therefore, they are still present.

Attachments

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I may be wrong but I don't think that is what this upgrade is all about.
We are still limited to the function set that we had before (except for the 2 added extra functions).
It looks more like a structural background change in how the library is put together so that in future it will be easy to upgrade Dark GDK and Dark Basic Pro together."

i thought that this was the equivalent of dbpro7
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 18:40 Edited at: 12th Nov 2008 18:48
Well at least now setting vsync to off now works!
We just need to depreciate the multiplayer.lib. Is that library the only reason why the GDK is only supported by the old DirectX version?

Shadow Fan 0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 21:28
Quote: "[GDK] No Delete/Destroy Terrain Commands I thought that 'destroy terrain' was available since DBPro 6.3 "

Sadly, this isn't in the new .NET either. I've had to resort to making my terrains .X models, which is too bad as the Advanced Terrain commands are so simple to use and take up much less code space...

"...The Protoss do not run from their enemies. Aiur is our homeworld, it is here that we shall make our stand!" -Aldaris
krolik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 23:14
Please write all new function or bug fixex because anywhere i cant see sometging about upgrade and whats problems with this upgrade.
krolik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 23:37 Edited at: 17th Nov 2008 02:36
This is not working ehh i instaled update and texture mapping was wrong - bad uv mapping ehh. Who wrote this update dark gdk has many bugs and update is not repairing it lol. Only one word - BIG **** aaaahahahahahahaha
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 00:48
Four words, you're an ungrateful idiot...

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 00:53 Edited at: 17th Nov 2008 02:36
Quote: "BIG **** aaaahahahahahahaha "

That sort of a statement is not very helpful.

If you find a bug then please post the nature of the bug with a picture or demo code for it.

The only way one can help you with your post as it currently is, is to send you a roll of toilet paper.

It looks like there are a few previous versions of "Dark GDK", and they do not behave the same (the free version may actually have more bugs in it than the previous commercial version I am not certain) so it may be worthwhile if we all also post what the previous version of Dark GDK we are referencing the problem to.

I am certain that the rest of us are VERY appreciative that the path to upgrading Dark GDK has finally started.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 10:28
Quote: "I am certain that the rest of us are VERY appreciative that the path to upgrading Dark GDK has finally started."

Certainly.

Bugs are reported to provide the needed feedback to TGC.

If we were to list the things that work fine, that would be endless

It is great to have DBPro and DGDK exactly to the same level. That should make DGDK easier to maintain and easier to track any issue.
Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 17:10 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 17:11
Hi Mike,

Any idea how much time it will take you and Lee to bring the DarkGDK up to speed with version 7.0 of DBP I am not asking a day by day events just want to know if it will be ready for the next news letter or before Christmas or the end of this year.

And after that when would the .Net version will be finally release.

Thanks
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems that Sparky's collision doesn't work on the new version. Bounding boxes are all over the place.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 02:34 Edited at: 17th Nov 2008 02:38
Hi Guys,

Please please do not touch these updates unless you are prepared to have things go wrong. We are currently making a transition of source code behind the scenes and it will do your karma no good if you think the next few updates are going to be anything more than passable. For those however who do not mind helping me test out the updates, you can find a link to the latest one here:

http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkgdk/DarkGDK_Update_NOV08.zip

As so a list of changes, there are hundreds of very tiny ones that happened on the DBP side, so you can imagine how impossible it would be to repeatr them all. For some rough ideas, check out the last five updates of DBP as the code changes from those fixes will indicate many functional differences. Thanks again!

Vote SOCIAL ARCADE every day in November and help TGC make history! Check out the video and voting button at:http://apps.facebook.com/fbfundvote/contests/109/entries/3391
SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 02:38
One fix I would LOVE to see, is the dbEntry(1); command that enables backspace support. Its not hard to get around, but its so much cleaner to not have to work around.

www.Helios-Online.net
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 14:34 Edited at: 17th Nov 2008 15:07
*****Accidental incomplete Post******
Referencing the second update.

Regarding ATI video cards and drivers HD4850 , HD2400 and X300se .

None of these can get AA enabled from "dbSetDisplayModeAntialias ( 1024, 768, 32, 1, 4, 0);"

The "Wait for Vertical Sync" does get controlled properly.
The Real Abaddon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 14:42 Edited at: 17th Nov 2008 14:44
i`m not seeing any unusual things happening with the new update while testing it with my wip game.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 15:03
Regarding the SECOND release of the Upgrade.

"dbFogColor (i,i,i)" produces BLACK fog, no matter what color entries of combination of entries are used.

"dbSetDisplayModeAntialias ()" still will not let a person select AA modes on ATI based cards.
Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 18:15
Lee, is this the same update posted on the main site, or is this a new one?
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 23:36 Edited at: 17th Nov 2008 23:51
I second that. That command would save me the trouble of having to code my own text entry functions for the input field class of my GUI. Surely it could be done with a bit of time, but it'd be nice to have the 'easy' way out.

EDIT: With the latest update, I'm pleased to report great speed increases for 2D drawing operations. I'm not sure what's changed, but in cases where I had clocked as low as 12 FPS, I was seeing 25. Keep up the good work!

My site, for various stuff that I make.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 12:10 Edited at: 18th Nov 2008 12:11
Well, reagarding this last version, '17-nov-08':

Excluded objects do not disappear forever anymore.

In-built shadows, using dbSetShadowShadingOn, become solid from certain angles.

[GDK] No Delete/Destroy Terrain Commands

As stated above:

dbSetDisplayModeAntialias is not working properly for ATI cards.

dbFogColor (i,i,i)" produces BLACK fog, no matter what color entries of combination of entries are used.

I've also tried

dbSetGlobalObjectCreationMode( 2 );

It works as it states, that is, faster loading times and increase in performance. Texture order has lost its meaning for any disable zread setting. I guess you cannot have the cake and eat it too.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 14:53
Apologies for the Hijack.

What is the distinction between
dbExcludeObjectOn()
dbHideObject()

And except for the multi-camera control part of it,

dbSetObjectMask()
morecode
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 19:30
this is a newbee question: I tried to run an example using the ezrotate include and I recieved the following error: "fatal error lnk 1104:cannot open file ezrotate.lib
thank you
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2008 18:01
Very nice. I'm very excited about .NET

Nice to see lots of work has been done lately!

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 11:39
@morecode, I'm using EZRotate with the latest DGDK upgrade here with no apparent problem. Try copying 'ezrotate.lib' to the lib folder or include its path into the libs path.

@sydbod, I that think while dbExcludeObjectOn takes the object completely out of the 'checking' loop, dbHideObject just hides it for rendering, but some checkings are still done for it every loop. So dbExcludeObjectOn should bring better performance if the object is not going to be used (although it will likely to still spend video memory.) No idea really about dbSetObjectMask.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 23:30:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 23:30:56