Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Virtual MicroMouse.... How would you make it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm about to start coding a virtual micromouse, which is a small autonomous robot that is designed to find its way around a maze and then make its way to the center. I'm working on a virtual protoype for algorithm testing.

So I was wondering if you guys were making this, how would you start off?

Since the maze only needs to be observed from above, it doesn't need to be 3D, therefore 2D should be good.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 08:36
Well if you want a really simple example, you can just have the bot turn left at every corner, he'll explore the entire maze that way.

SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 22:15
I have worked with a little bot from Parallax called "Boe-Bot", it was a pretty cool programmable autonomous robot. It would help better if you analyzed the different sensory systems the robot used to navigate in real life.

For example, the boe-bot had a ultrasonic PING sensor that used acoustic pulses to wall detect. So you could maybe make the program do a series of audible "clicks" to let the user know the sonar is functioning.

As for actually making the robot navigate, use the DarkAI plug-in and set the object to avoid the walls. Just make him move forward, then when he gets close to the wall, stop, back up, turn 90 degrees, and proceed movement.

That seems like a pretty realistic way to simulate an autonomous robot. Although seems silly to do, a virtual autonomous robot simulation sounds way to easy to cheat on haha.

Post a sample if you get anything going! Sounds nifty.

www.Helios-Online.net
Jimmy 9 Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 16:37
I'd look up "A* Path Finding". A (Star) Path finding uses Heuristics to find the shortest path between any two points.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 17:00
One method of finding your way out of a maze is to always keep the same wall to your right. Effective but fairly inefficient. However, for a computer and the time it takes to accomplish this, it's very negligible. You don't have to show every motion you make, just track to the exit this way while eliminating every corridor you have to backtrack. Then you only display a path along the ones that work.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
RomuluS85
Years of Service
User Offline
when i used to toy around with the idea of mazes (and this might be helpful for anyone thinking about doing some sort of dungeon crawling game), was website called think labyrinth

http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth.htm

if you go in to maze algorithms and then scroll down to maze solving algorithms, it should clear something up about how to make the thing move around the maze. however, if you're trying to make the ... "pseudo-robot" move around in the maze by actually trying to figure out where the walls are, the whole page propably doesn't offer much help, except wall following or random walking... although you might get a better maze making algorithm

hope any of that helps in someway.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 11:40:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 11:40:14