Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 10:18
To test out some models I've made with normal and specular maps, I thought about installing V1.0 of FPSC on my laptop and trying them out there. As far as I am aware the shaders for normal and spec maps worked in this version, though I could be wrong.

I've been away for some time, so I'm not sure if normal maps and spec maps are working in the current version of FPSC yet. Are they?

If I've been misinformed, please tell me and stop me wasting time and disk space installing FPSC on my laptop.

AE

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 15:39
Normal and specular work in the later updates (I dont know if it did in the first ), Maybe not the best quality, but if you know what you are doing it could get great
Good to see you back!

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 10:24
I don't think FPSC's shaders ever supported specular maps, since there isn't any such code for loading and making use of specular maps. Not that I can see, anyway.

Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 13:36
Normal and illumination maps are working, but i'm not sure about specular maps.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 00:14
Quote: "Normal and illumination maps are working, but i'm not sure about specular maps."

Not on segments. Entities maybe.

Even the EFX devs couldn't get normal mapping to work on segments when used with a lights.

How FPSC has come this far without getting a decent normal map shader for segments is beyond me. TGC maintained it was too much of a performance hit to implement which is probably true and they've recovered by making it work in FPSC X10.

Bond1 claims to be making significant advances with FPSC X9 shaders. In my opinion he should focus his efforts on this otherwise his characters are going to look too good for the environments which are achievable for them to live in.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 12:27
This is just a theory, but it might so be that normal maps for segments don't work because of the static light-mapper. While DarkLights is a fantastic lightmapper, all shadows/lights are static and rendered beforehand as overlays, sort of. A solution would be to either implement deffered shading with dynamic lighting (probably much too hard to do), or hard-code normal-mapping into the renderer for the environments and somehow make it cooperate with the DarkLights-maps.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 14:58
I actually think that I have working specular on my characters. I made a dark specular, wich made the characters less glossy.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 15:18
The stock bump maps don't work on segments in V1.07 mods.....

Any advice on how to get a bump shader going?

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 15:43
All I use is the 'bumpcubereflectalpha' script. It uses the lighting to render the bump map appropriately on the right area, but it is quite faint, so it cannot be seen so well.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 15:47
I know, but that's not very good for static entities and segments...

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 15:49
Yeah, I know. If I knew what program makes FPSC shaders, I'd give it a try.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 16:03
Notepad. You just need to know the lingo, lol.....

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 16:26
Anyway, bumpcubereflectalpha is only useful for getting a nice shiny metallic look, I have found. It would be no good for a material like wood or stone.

AE

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 17:40
Yeh, shame about that....

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 20:51
Quote: "Notepad. You just need to know the lingo, lol....."

...That's not very useful for making a script with millions of colour-coding and rendering settings without any help guide. You'll have to be a super-coding nerd to do that.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 20:53
Lol, or FX Composer. But you still need to know the lingo....

I've been experimenting with the shaders from the DB Pro Ultimate Shader Pack. I'll post s thread wit my progress soon.....

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 20:59
Right, I'm downloading FX Composer now. I hope it works! If only FPSC would have full shader support like displacement and occlusion...It'll probably be answered in X10 sometime though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 17:32:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 17:32:27