Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Transparency & Lighting Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 14:17
I have questions on 2 different topics, and am hoping that someone here can help me out:

1. I am attempting to make an entity wall transparent. I set the transparency to 100, test the game, and the wall...is still entirely visible. Hmm. I have searched on this topic, and I cannot seem to find any answers as to why this happens. I used one of the false walls from Dark Egypt, and set the main script to default.fpi. Anyone know why the wall isn't transparent? Do I need to use a different script in addition to setting transparency to 100?

2. This one is a little different. When setting lights in a level, the light they emit is in a spherical shape, emanating from the center point out to the farthest edge (dependent on the range set). This is all fine and dandy for standard lights. But how do you get a light marker to fire a cylindrical beam of light? What I want to do is set up a series of "mirrors" that, when the player puts them in the right position, reflect light between 2 points. I want the beam of light to be cylindrical, much like that of a laser. For a reference point of what I am trying to accomplish with this, see the attached picture. Does anyone have an idea on how to do this?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 23:59
Firstly sorry to take this off topic but your profile avatar is amazing and I've got Marvel vs Capcom 2.

I went back through my FPSC project files and found a segment wall I created which is partially transparent and allows light and shadow mapping to be cast based upon the shape of the transparent area.

See attached screenshot.

For what your describing you'll need to make the texture opacity like 50% or something. There's a bunch of tutorials on the forums that explains how to do this.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Haven Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 01:48
Quote: "Firstly sorry to take this off topic but your profile avatar is amazing and I've got Marvel vs Capcom 2.

I went back through my FPSC project files and found a segment wall I created which is partially transparent and allows light and shadow mapping to be cast based upon the shape of the transparent area.

See attached screenshot.

For what your describing you'll need to make the texture opacity like 50% or something. There's a bunch of tutorials on the forums that explains how to do this."

He didn't make that some other artist did I remembered him from a while ago but he did some amazing stick videos.

Follow what nomad sound said you need to also make the file .dds or .png for transparency, nomad Soul do you have an AIM or some other chatting program I can contact you with?

Haven Studios
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 14:07
Quote: "nomad Soul do you have an AIM or some other chatting program I can contact you with?"

Hi Haven Studios

You can catch me as Nomad5oul on xbox live. We can talk more from there. Otherwise I'll drop you a line on yahoo messenger.
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 20:59
Neither of my questions was really answered by your response...

I am attempting to make an ENTITY transparent, not a segment.

And nobody answered my question about the light. Do I need to create a model for this effect?
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 21:02
Is it me or was that pic you posted Cell shaded Nomad?

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 00:44
Hello? If nobody is going to answer my questions, then please lock this topic.
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 02:17 Edited at: 15th Nov 2008 02:19
Quote: "Is it me or was that pic you posted Cell shaded Nomad?"

It's just a black line caused by FPSC's not-so-good transparency system for static geometry.

@Leon
It's the texture that's causing the problem. The transparency value just tells FPSC how transparent (0 = not, 1 = transparent) to make texture on the model. This texture has to have an alpha map for this to work. The wall texture you are using doesnt have an alpha map, so it stays opaque.

-Place the "fullview" window.
-Right click it, and copy the text in the "texture" box.
-Go to your wall entity, replace it's texture path with the window's texture path.
-Set transparency to 1.
-Test it.

The lighting issue cannot be resolved until FPSC is updated with more lighting capabilities. Radial light is all we have to work with currently.

Best,
Paul

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 11:13
You can make an invisble cone or cylinder, and put the light in it, then it'll direct the light, but the whole mirrors thing won't work.....

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 13:55
Quote: "You can make an invisble cone or cylinder, and put the light in it, then it'll direct the light, but the whole mirrors thing won't work....."

Doesn't work in full lightmapping mode, only in quick lightmapping, because FPSC isn't calculating shadows based on static transparencies then.

Paul

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 17:30:00
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 17:30:00