Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The Making of... "he is coming" - Chapter 1: Town

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 23:07 Edited at: 13th Nov 2008 23:12
I've noticed that some people are concerned about TGC bringing out a 2-disk DVD with basic tutorial videos as they seem to be ones freely available already on the TGC site. People are requesting a more indepth tutorial that goes beyond the basics so the reason for writing is would anyone be interested in an intermediate tutorial video?

Would anyone be interested in how I put together "he is coming..." Chapter 1? The tutorial would be putting together a complete game, including:

☼ Plot Development
☼ Planning
☼ Lighting
☼ Entity Placement
☼ Atmosphere
☼ Sound Effects
☼ Tips & Tricks
☼ Menu Creation
☼ Easter Eggs
and other stuff I've yet to think of

For those not familiar with "he is coming...", here's the thread in the Showcase forum: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=136232&b=25.

also here's a link to the official site for "he is coming..." http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/HeIsComing/

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I would be interested...
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 23:27
Hi Nickydude

This is a great idea although a chapter on advanced scripting would be nice.

Also can you make the menu creation section include animated menus as some forum members claim to have done this.

Finally I'd like you to personally do a tutorial on sound as what I've heard of your stuff is excellent. I'm using reason 4 but have only made 80's style synth stuff and need to make some dark techno for my game. What are you using to create music and could you do a game track tutorial?

To finish, an appropriate quote from a man that has dedicated his life to ensuring first person shooters kick ass

Quote: ""Programming is not a zero-sum game. Teaching something to a fellow programmer doesn't take it away from you. I'm happy to share what I can, because I'm in it for the love of programming. ""

John Carmack.
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds good!
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 23:39
I am interested aswell!
Sounds like a good idea.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2008 23:43
I think this is a wonderful idea. Can you possibly include some stuff with segment and entity editor?
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Good idea!
johne5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 05:31
I would like some info about menu setup, and some character importing into FPSC. I have a character and would love to get him in the game correctly

I've been doing pretty good with creating segments!!

my forum (just started it)
http://www.johne5.com
petsall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 15:26 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 15:30
Me wants it is it gonna be video or guide(like offical community guide

Kids kids stop playing with these molotov´s coctails an buy a real flametrhower
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 15:40
...outstanding notion, and incredibly generous of you!

This would invaluable to many, no doubt.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 16:07
I'm all for it.

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 17:13
i am always interested in all kinds of this stuff or shortly known as "Making Of",this would be very interesting

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-10%
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 18:17 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 18:18
Quote: "This is a great idea although a chapter on advanced scripting would be nice."

Sorry, I only know basic scripting, but may be somebody could do a scripting tutorial to add *coughPlycough*

Quote: "Also can you make the menu creation section include animated menus as some forum members claim to have done this."

Unfortunately I haven't, and wouldn't know the first thing about how to start an animated menu!

Quote: "Finally I'd like you to personally do a tutorial on sound as what I've heard of your stuff is excellent. I'm using reason 4 but have only made 80's style synth stuff and need to make some dark techno for my game. What are you using to create music and could you do a game track tutorial?"

Not sure if I could create a tutorial on making a music track, I just play around until something comes to me, then it may take many, many, many changes to get something I like. I do all my music on Octamed SoundStudio and FL Studio.

Quote: "Can you possibly include some stuff with segment and entity editor?"

I don't make my own stuff (may be a few retextures of segments) so I can't really do those. I can show you how I used Signs to retexture rooms and to make pictures for the walls.

Quote: "...character importing into FPSC. I have a character and would love to get him in the game correctly."

Sorry, again I use already FPSC ready stuff (model packs and from the store).

Quote: "Me wants it is it gonna be video or guide(like offical community guide)."

Will be a video tutorial, split into many sections I would imagine.

Quote: "...outstanding notion, and incredibly generous of you!"

Thank you.

Unfortunately, my main machine is in for repair so as soon as I get that back I'll start preparing for the tutorials.

Monoxide_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 07:07 Edited at: 15th Nov 2008 07:08
Nickydude, I think it would be AWESOME for you to make a tut with everything you listed in your first post. I actually posted in the FPSC 2 disc thread that I would like tuts for the same stuff you listed. I think it would be greatly appreciated.
Also I feel that it would be better for it to be a pdf (or both pdf and a video version) becuase I dont like video tuts. I perfer reading with images so i can go to exactly what i need help with. And also i cold then print it out and read it on the go.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 08:01 Edited at: 15th Nov 2008 08:02
You could put the videos on your iPod and watch them on the go.

Just tryin' to be constructive!

Quote: "Sorry, I only know basic scripting, but may be somebody could do a scripting tutorial to add *coughPlycough*"

*sigh*

Well, I'd need some topics to talk about, but I'd certainly be willing to contribute.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 08:19
I'll firstly create a pdf version. This way it will act as a 'script' (not the FPSC kind) that I can work from for the video tutorial. Hopefully my machine comes back today so I can get cracking. Note: the pdf tutorial will be extremely graphics heavy just so you can see everything that's going on.

Monoxide_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 22:10
Sweet looking forward to this.
Thanks cuz the community guide helped me majorly, and now this will be pretty interesting.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2008 23:36
I've made a start, here's the first 3 pages (as a pdf) attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a good idea, especially in pdf form, we need as many tut's around here as we can get.

@Nomad soul, I am one of those who claim to have a game which has an animated menu, in fact Eldora is the only released game which uses one.
However it was an exe launcher created by s4real which incorporated Vishnu so if you want to know how it was done he would have to be the one to jump in and say. I did see a mention of scripting used to create an animated meu, which incidentally I believe used the script method I came up with for the weather pack which I reckon would work.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 02:35
Nickydude, you may already have this planned but here goes.

In the interest of educating the masses, and hopefully quelling some common questions in the process, could you go into setting up the level and editor a bit.

- how do you make it dark?
- When I build the game, it's not the level I made.
- How do I get fog?
- How do I change the skybox?
- How do I get music in the game.
- Etc, etc...

I don't mean a question and answer section, but explaining how you setup your level would be in keeping with the theme. Explaining what settings you used to get the effects you have, and where to do it, will guide others how to setup theirs.

Best.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 03:07
Good reading Nicky, knowing about your terrible childhood I feel like I can get in your head.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 07:50
Don't worry Xplosys, all that will be in there.

petsall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 08:09 Edited at: 18th Nov 2008 08:10
Quote: "how do you make it dark?"
=Lower your ambience
Quote: "How do I get fog?"
=by script like that

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds interesting, the game was nice but short but i would like to se how you created it.

IV
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 08:34
I want to see a tutorial on scriting, in fact a better DVD to sell would of been one all on scripting. Perhaps it would include a selection of usefull scripts as well.

petsall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 10:04
Quote: "I want to see a tutorial on scriting, in fact a better DVD to sell would of been one all on scripting. Perhaps it would include a selection of usefull scripts as well."

theres lots of scripts in offical community guide

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 16:15
Quote: "Don't worry Xplosys, all that will be in there."

Good to hear!

@petsall,

Thanks for answering my rhetorical questions.

I would also like to see a comprehensive scripting tutorial. I don't think it's possible however, due to the facts that...

- FPI changes month to month.
- No one seems certain what some of the code is or does.
- FPI has the three laws, but it can choose not to obey them.

Best.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 16:45
Quote: "- FPI has the three laws, but it can choose not to obey them."

All laws were made to be broken.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2008 21:25
As I'm writing it it's turning out to be more of a blog type tutorial that the traditional "now go here and do this, then set this to that..."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 17:24:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 17:24:53