Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK CodeBase

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 10:24
Hello all,

I see that there is an extensive tutorial and Developer Network for DBC and DBPro. However, I have yet to stumble across a GDK codebase. Are we C++ guys the middle child between DBPro and GDK.NET?

I swear to God, I will personally convert the whole of the current codebase in to C++, don't make me do it TGC!

If I submit C++ code, will it go in the current codebase? On the drop down menu to filter languages, it doesn't mention C++.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 11:38
Quote: "If I submit C++ code, will it go in the current codebase? On the drop down menu to filter languages, it doesn't mention C++. "

It doesn't mention DarkGDK.net either.
I suspect things will get sorted out in time.
It would be nice to give the crew a chance to do the important work (I think it is important anyway) of updating DarkGDK and synchronizing it with DBPro as a first step.

When this is done, then DarkGDK.net should also drop in line, as I believe it is based on DarkGDK.

Quote: "I swear to God, I will personally convert the whole of the current codebase in to C++,......"

Thanks for the offer ..... when will you have it finished so the rest of us can benefit from it.
Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 12:00
Quote: "Thanks for the offer ..... when will you have it finished so the rest of us can benefit from it. "

In all seriousness, I don't mind doing as much as this as possible. I don't have time to do a full project, so this will help me develop my GDK knowledge in a timeframe that would benefit me. There are currently ~1500 code samples, so if we say that 200 are similar I only have to do 1300. Just completed the first one (random number guessing game, showing screen I/O), so only 1299 to go!

Now, if only I had somewhere to upload them to...
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 17:12
Code snippets board?

My site, for various stuff that I make.
Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 17:33
Sounds like a plan, I'll finish a few more and do it in one block.

Anyone else fancy helping translating the entire DBC/DBP CodeBase into DGDK with me?

If we get a few of us, it will take a much shorter time. I've started from Page 1 and will be working my way towards page 64. If someone could start from 64, we could meet in the middle

Obviously, we would leave out certain stuff, repeated code (I have already looked at three different number guessing games, all much the same) and the one line snippets such as:

It will improve your C++, improve your knowledge of the GDK, improve your problem solving and reasoning abilities and will help you develop as a programmer. Also, I'm sure the community would be thankful.

Your skillset will become much more varied too. I have already completed the aforementioned number guessing game, a 2.5D console game, a small client/server app and a console menu system. Don't forget, they aren't full games, they are tech demos aiming at showing how you do something, so as long as they demonstrate the concept, are commented well and build/run without errors, they should be fine.

As most of the DBPro functions are like for like, it isn't that difficult, though its time consuming. Anyone else up for it?
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 18:26
I might do one or two, but I'm not going to translate the whole library :S. Also, even though the GDK had been updated to the same version as Pro, are all the functions exactly the same?
Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 18:33
Afraid of a bit of hard work are we?
Don't worry, I'm not exactly planning to finish this next week or anything.

Maybe it's not EXACTLY the same, but for all intensive purposes, it is. I'm sure we can find workarounds if need be.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2008 23:13 Edited at: 15th Nov 2008 23:22
Anybody should be able to translate a DBPro code fragment into DarkGDK.
If you are serious about doing these sort of things, then why not do something productive that has not been done by others.

Should you be interested then why not make a useful library of functions that deal with Meshes.

Things like :
void new_CreateMeshMemblock ( int iMeshMemblockID, float fWidth, float fDepth, int iXSegments, int iZSegments, float fHightLevel)
void new_ContourMeshMemblock ( int iMeshMemblockID, int iImageMemblockID, float fOffsetHeight)
void new_TextureMeshMemblock ( int iMeshMemblockID, int iImageMemblockID, int iTile, int iXSegments, int iZSegments)
etc.
Things that would let a person get away from those cursed Matrix functions when they are creating worlds. This would enable great flexibility in creating and culling terrain objects.

Or something useful like a dynamically repositioning water mesh.
You know, a mesh that is only the size required to cover a cameras field of view and distance view. As a camera rotates, then the water mesh repositions itself to cover that view area, and when a camera is looking down, the mesh positions itself so that its middle is directly under the camera.....etc. It would save a lot of collision processing time and render processing time.

Hell, there are so many great little and not so little program fragments that could be created, that would be very useful to people.
Swordsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2008 00:57
I'm still learning exactly what is and isn't in the GDK at the moment, so it's a bit of an ongoing process as far the code fragments are concerned. It's an easy and just as importantly, paced way of doing it so I can still work on my studenty stuff

That said, I love the mesh idea. I'll have a look in to it next weekend.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 11:42:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 11:42:35