Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Animated Stairs, possible? If so, a little help please.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 01:05
I made a set of stairs come up from the floor when used and I want to be able to get up them, but I haven't been able to. The stairs are a segment using a stairs entity. Any help is appreciated.

SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 21:04
Bump

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 21:07
No, sorry. Dynamic entities have box collision, so it's just all one big box....

X Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 23:45
show fpe file
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 05:54 Edited at: 24th Nov 2008 15:02
this may be a round about way of doing it but probbably your best bet.
have the stairs made of individual models for each step and all activated by the same trigger. this will alleviate any collision problems since each step has its own bounding box. Hope that helped.

Don't just say No it can't be done. Think outside the box.
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 06:46
Quote: "No, sorry. Dynamic entities have box collision, so it's just all one big box...."

End of Story.

~/BennyBoy\~
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 08:16 Edited at: 24th Nov 2008 15:02
maybe I wasn't clear...(actually after re-reading it was clear)
Each, individual, step seperate models.
And the story continues.

Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 10:30
But still, that isnt an animated stair case, is it?
ITs bultiple entities you can walk up on, that are activated by a trigger zone.

~/BennyBoy\~
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 14:01
solution-lee,ply,airslide or s4real make a dynamic collision

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-10%
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 14:32 Edited at: 24th Nov 2008 15:01
Quote: "But still, that isnt an animated stair case, is it?
ITs bultiple entities you can walk up on, that are activated by a trigger zone."

Quote: "I made a set of stairs come up from the floor when used and I want to be able to get up them"

That is what was asked for. That is what I delivered. Not an animated staircase. The animation that is being described is the rising of the staircase from what I gathered. If an animated escalator is being asked for it's not clearly stated, but that's not what I understood from his question. Seriously, if you're not helping the situation with a suggestion, then your just here trolling. See this post-
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132053&b=21

Jesper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 17:38
There is dynamic collison avaible in fpsc.

Just put COLLISON = 1 to entitys .FPE file. If you put COLLISON = 0 it will be box collison.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Jesper- That's only for static entities.
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Make and animate the stairs as dynamic with no collision, then use a static, but transparent entity that appears in the same place?

I assume you can turn the collision off totally for a dynamic entity right? Might require a mod however.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 20:46 Edited at: 24th Nov 2008 20:51
D13's method is the best bet, you can turn off collision for a dynamic entity with a simple line of script but problem is that the transparent entity may be found by the player anyhow, you could get around that one by creating transparent walls around the entity and destroying these when you trigger your dynamic 'stairs' to appear.

If you use d13's way you only have to animate one stairstep and repeat and position these in map
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 21:20
Thanks guys, Rolfy, I had just thought of your method and was going to try it last night but I was pleasantly surprised at the face that I didn't even need to make the invisible walls as the stairs wouldn't let me near them till I activated them. D13, thanks for that, I will keep that in mind the next time.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 21:33 Edited at: 24th Nov 2008 21:40
Ahhh whats happening here is that the collision bounding box is appearing where you place the dynamic entity in the map, this was something I had to find a workaround for when doing the maze for Eldora I had to reverse the animation and placement of the walls to avoid the collision boxes being above the floor before they were raised.
Glad to hear you got it working
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 22:27
Quote: "Quote: "But still, that isnt an animated stair case, is it?
ITs bultiple entities you can walk up on, that are activated by a trigger zone."

Quote: "I made a set of stairs come up from the floor when used and I want to be able to get up them"

That is what was asked for. That is what I delivered. Not an animated staircase. The animation that is being described is the rising of the staircase from what I gathered. If an animated escalator is being asked for it's not clearly stated, but that's not what I understood from his question. Seriously, if you're not helping the situation with a suggestion, then your just here trolling. See this post-
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132053&b=21"

Did i do something not nice?
I was trying to help using my knowledge?

~/BennyBoy\~
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 01:32 Edited at: 25th Nov 2008 01:35
@rolfy- I was hoping you would see this and offer some insight since you made that absolutely incredible timed maze.

@SamHH- Let me know how it turns out. I have a lot more free time now so we can chat and get this working for you. plus I have some great ideas on how to get some good effects out of what you're doing.

@Benny Boy 2321- I'm not meaning to be offensive and I certainly don't have any harsh feelings toward you at all, but what you were doing was fighting my suggestions without offering anything yourself. Simply quoteing someone above you and putting
Quote: "End of Story."
is not useing your knowlage to help; it's just simply chiming in with a rude remark after restateing what was more tactfully already said. Coffeegrunt may have said it can't be done as well, but he gave a constructive reason why it wasn't working wich clued me in on exactly how to get it to work. I know you're new to these forums, and maybe forums alltogether, but this forum has suffered with a negative image for a loooong time, and it's because of nonconstructive post and tag on statements that by some can be taken as flaming. Were ultamately here to help each other, not discourage each other from trying to achieve what we want out of FPSC. Sorry to get all preachy on ya, but this kind of stuff really puts me off when I or anybody for that matter is trying to offer a solution to a problem that can be solved in one fashion or another.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 19:22:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 19:22:09