Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK.Net - Why should I wait ? (a genuine question, not a statement)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am interested in using VB.Net to help me code videogames. It looks like the two most promising products for this are Mogre and DarkGDK. I looked at this 6 months ago and neither were really ready, so I let it go and moved on.

I'm checking back in to find that Mogre is published but though DarkGDK has not yet come out (apparently the devs just pop up and say "it'll be out very soon" every so often - and I totally understanding the nightmarish timesink that debugging can be)it looks like it has more cool add-ons that could come out soon (AI, collision...).

As I am having trouble finding any sources that compare and contrast these two products to tell me which one I should pick and allow me to better decide if DarkGDK.NET is worth waiting for, I ask: Please point me in the direction of such a source or please create a brief summary for beginners who are trying to decide between the products.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 21:19
Hi Dave,

I don't have a direct comparision but the main difference is that OGRE (and MOGRE) is just a Rendering Engine (the graphical part) while DarkGDK.NET is a full game engine, as it has Rendering, Sound, Input, to name a few, and also plugins for Phisics, AI and else.

So...

Ogre - Graphics Only http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering_(computer_graphics)
DarkGDK - Full game engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine

I hope this was helpful.

[center][center]
DaveF
Years of Service
User Offline
That's quite helpful. Thank you. I don't know how long I should wait to see if Dark GDK.NET will be finished, but I definetly would choose it over MOGRE based on your explaination.

Thanks Again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 11:33:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 11:33:45