Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Running Dark GDK games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,
I'm having trouble with running games that I have made - on my computer (with Dark GDK on it) games will take AGES to load whereas on similar computers (which do not have Dark GDK installed) the start-up time is fine. I am running vista 2.6GHz duel presser, 2GB ram (good graphics card too). With my computer why do games start-up slow? Am I doing something wrong/could do different?
Shadow Fan 0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 06:52
Heaven forbid, but perhaps your GDK computer may have some spyware and/or viruses slowing it. You could also try cleaning the Windows registry with your antivirus program. I found that speeds things up a little. Those are the only things that come to mind. DarkGDK itself is pretty good at managing resources, and doesn't seem to slow things in my experiences using it.

"...The Protoss do not run from their enemies. Aiur is our homeworld, it is here that we shall make our stand!" -Aldaris
Marmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure how to clean the windows registry (don't think my virus checker has that ability). Is it possible that the games start slowly because directX SDK/Dark GDK are installed, one wouldn't think so but it is the only logical reason that I can think of.

As for the difference in the start-up time, I timed one game at about 90 seconds to start while on another computer it was less than 1.5 seconds (my computer should have been faster by far!!)
Shadow Fan 0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 21:07
The DirectX SDK is a collection of libraries, documentation, media, and some example/tutorial projects. There's nothing really that uses a whole lot of CPU resources unless you happen to be running the example projects at the same time as your game (which I doubt).

These programs clean the registry, you might try one of them:
McAfee Antivirus
Norton Antivirus
Windows Live Onecare
Registry Cleaner

All of those have free trials, if not are free (in the case of the last one). Good luck!

"...The Protoss do not run from their enemies. Aiur is our homeworld, it is here that we shall make our stand!" -Aldaris
Marmot
Years of Service
User Offline
could the slowness be related to a warning that I always get:

not really sure how to fix this warning, any suggestions?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 11:40:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 11:40:41