Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Something in the making.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2008 22:14
I've been off this forum for at least a year or so, but I'm kind of back. I just was bored with Xna and Irrlicht, so I decided to come here and make a Havok integration example with Dark GDK. I'll have it posted shortly, as it isn't taking a long time at all.

Although, to make this the most optimal example I can possibly do, what would you all like to see in this? I'm already planning on some character movement in maybe an FPSC level or on terrain if I also decide to show vehicle usage. I want to also show animated ragdoll usage and so on. What type of vehicles and gameplay mechanics would you like to see in this? This will be open source btw, so you'll know how to do this all yourself when it's out. Look forward to hearing from you all.

I believe falling asleep at keyboard is now a religion for me.
The Real Abaddon
Years of Service
User Offline
it would be cool to see a fps character movement made with havoc on a terrain.
I`l check this thread more often.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
sounds like a really interesting piece of work! looking forward
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2008 18:11
Alright, I can do character movement on a terrain easily. I have physics and all that done, gonna get the rotations done ( I have to convert quaternion values to euler for gdk, like I had to in Irrlicht ).

For the most part I want to at least have two vehicles. I want a motorcycle and a truck-ish vehicle ( hummer perhaps? ). Those are definite. I'll post some stuff as I make more progress.

I believe falling asleep at keyboard is now a religion for me.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 10:51
I guess you know about EZRotate, don't you? I recommend it for those rotations... Also I think it would be great to be able to use Havoc with DGDK too.
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 14:42
Quote: "Alright, I can do character movement on a terrain easily. I have physics and all that done, gonna get the rotations done ( I have to convert quaternion values to euler for gdk, like I had to in Irrlicht )."

Doesn't Havok support matrices? Can't you just use
dbSetObjectWorldMatrix
That's how I integrated physX.
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 18:35
Did not actually know the command existed. That is interesting, I'll probably use matrices MUCH more often now.

And I want to try and not use any libraries you need to pay for. Ezrotate costs money, and that's not something I want for a little example.

I'm actually just considering making a library for using Havok in GDK. That would also make it EXTREMELY easy for me to make a dbp plugin as well. I may or may not do the last one though.
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 19:39
That would be great. If you can do it well, you would render DarkPhysics useless. But can Havok do soft bodies or fluids?
Id like to see how you do this, because when i downloaded Havok i could not even get the samples to run, which is why I use physX now.
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 00:23
Depends on how well I program it. It doesn't natively support it, but I can make it. Unfortunately Havok Destruction isn't free, which is what natively supports soft bodies and such, and it is amazing. I've used Havok since it's came out, and have done much experimenting with it. It's harder to use than PhysX, but provides an enormous amount of reliability and pure awesomeness, hah. I was severely disappointed with PhysX when I used Dark Physics. The character controllers were horrid, and didn't move like characters at all. Havok is completely different, I mean, after all, these games use it: Halo 2, Halo 3, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead, Oblivion, Fallout 3, ummmmmmm and some other games, just a few... hundred...

Turns out Havok Behavior TOOL was just released. If you can use this for your own games, then this will prove to be amazing. I'm doubting this release at the moment though, and it seems pointless without the Havok Behavior SDK...
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 05:00
Okie dokie, well, I've decided to go on making a library for DGDK versus just an example. I was going to do a plugin for dbp, but alas, my installation cd has a crack right down the middle of it -_- So I have an installation key and such, but no cd, and don't feel like purchasing a cd. So someone else will have to do a dbp plugin of this.

Anyways, I'll create a WIP about this ASAP. So I'll have everything over there whenever I get some stuff to actually show >.>
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 11:21 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 11:47
OK, well post link to that thread here if you put it somewhere obscure. Just been looking at my physX program where I use dbSetObjectWorldMatrix (virtually straight after doing it i went into DirectX and left DarkGDK alone), and I have noticed that when you move close to and object set with this function, or look at it from an extreme angle, it just disappears. I don't know why this is happening, and changing the project settings hasn't helped. Not really that bothered myself, but it might be an issue for you. It may just be that this functio has never worked, and that's why is undocumented, but that seems strange, as that would mean when making DarkPhysics they had to convert to euler.

EDIT:
I have fixed this problem. it is a very strange fix. basically, I set the position normally before I set the matrix, and it works fine:

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 18:16
Ahh, ok. Well, with that I should be able to do this much easier than I could have before. So thank you. And that thread will be in the WIP board no doubt, but I'll probably only be able to post it in about 3 days ( I'll however probably have physics working today in GDK, but I want something in dbp ( TRIAL FTW!!! -_- ) ).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 11:29:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 11:29:35