Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Storing a pointer as an integer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2008 15:51
The purpose of this is for writing a plugin for DarkBASIC Pro so that a function can return a pointer as an integer and users can then pass this pointer to other related functions.

Is the following code valid for all systems?
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2008 22:13
Let me ask if you really mean DarkBasic Pro. This is a DarkGDK forum and the code you're showing is in C++ so I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2008 23:02
Quote: "Let me ask if you really mean DarkBasic Pro. This is a DarkGDK forum and the code you're showing is in C++ so I'm not sure what you're trying to do."

Quote: "writing a plugin for DarkBASIC Pro"

Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 02:33
Do you want to pass on what the pointer is pointing to, or do you want to pass on the memory address?

My C++ is a little shaky, but I don't think you can store a hex address in an integer =P Of course, if you are trying to pass on what the address is storing, then yes, it should be simple.

Quote: "so that a function can return a pointer as an integer and users can then pass this pointer to other related functions"

But then, I'm a little confused; are you trying to pass on the Pointer or the Integer?

Tux is my guildmaster.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 04:29
If it's the pointer then I can imagine that it can be returned as an unsigned int. But I would think that it would be safer and, perhaps, more portable to return it as a DWORD type.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 12:07 Edited at: 29th Nov 2008 12:09
It's better to return it as an INT_PTR, that way it's 64-bit-compatible.

Cipher77
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's better to return it as an INT_PTR, that way it's 64-bit-compatible."

long long or long long int is a 64-bit pointer. Microsoft also supports _Int64
Quote: "
so that a function can return a pointer as an integer
"

All pointers are integers. char* float* MyStructure* are all the same type. They are all pointers. The type before * tells the compiler how to dereference it and the size of the object pointed to.

Since, you are casting it anyway to a char* you could easily declare it a void*. Note: void* pointers can point to any type, but you have to cast them before you try to dereference them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 11:21:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 11:21:46