Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK.net will there be a free version?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just got the December newsletter that stated that Dark GDK.net will be released in early December. It stated that you could pre-order it for $30 for a royalty free, unrestricted license. Does this mean there will be a restricted license available for free? This would be my guess since you can get a bundled license with DarkGDK and DarkGDK.net.
Overlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 18:11
Great news as far as nearing release.

Of course the other question goes:

What about the users who licensed darkgdk.net when it was available in the past? (I for example did license back then the "freeware" version)

Cheers
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 21:06
The same question as Overlord is running in my mind this instant.

Can Some one from the TGC team clarify this.

thanks.

UberMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 15:12 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 16:26
[quote] It stated that you could pre-order it for $30 for a royalty free, unrestricted license.

Hello im new in the forums and in overall gamedev, I just joined mainly because im very interested on the DGK.Net framework(and the future of DBP) and will possibly make my purchase later today but one thing that got me curious is that comment above.

This means that I can make anything I want and sell it or give it for free and do what-ever I want with the software I create, right?

Thanks for the help.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 16:31
Quote: "This means that I can make anything I want and sell it or give it for free and do what-ever I want with the software I create, right?"

Pretty much anything. You obviously can't wrap up the commands and sell a game-creating application.

UberMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 19:18
Thinks BatVink for your answer.

Could one do a type of Game Maker with it tho? even tho I have no skill to do that yet. But is it possible?

And I just purchased it!!! Now waiting for it...
RPDan
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought DarkGDK.NET was taken off the store because the free one was about to be released; a year later and it's about to be sold again. Why was it taken off in the first place? This is practically just an update, isn't it?
enablerbr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 19:42 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 01:37
i bought the orignal license. so like the others have said. do we have to buy again or get the new version as an update?
Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 23:28
Richard Davey said way back in November 2007:

Quote: "Yes we've removed Dark GDK .NET from sale - it will return in 2008 for free."

link: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=118206&b=22

I can see a lot of changes went into this new version. It's practically a version 2.0. So I can understand if you want to charge for the work done. But I dont have plans to buy it again.

So, my main question would be : what happens to our 1091 versions? Will we see updates for it in the future?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 23:01 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 23:09
Hi guys,

I can understand that some people are reluctant about the issue of buying the toolkit, but considering the low price, you will not be disappointed. There has been alot of changes, and would be considered a completely new version. For one clear difference, it utilises an extensive class library for handling all of the various functions of the engine:

DarkGDK Main initialisation classes and Core functions.
|________Animation Classes for handling Animation and Video playback.
|________Audio Classes for handling Audio playback and 3D Audio effects.
|________Basic2D Classes for handling Colour, 2D shape drawing, Image and Sprite handling.
|________Basic3D Classes for handling 3D object creation, Texturing and Collision.
|________Camera Classes for handling Camera and Viewport manipulation.
|________IO Classes for handling File I/O and Joystick/Keyboard handling.
|________Lighting Classes for handling Lights and Shading.
|________Math Classes for handling Math functions and Matrix calculations.
|________Net Classes for handling Network and Multiplayer communications.
|________Particle Classes for handling Particle creation and manipulation.
|________World Classes for handling BSP (Binary Space Partition) map files.

The toolkit comes with a very extensive help file containing information on all of the classes and their methods / properties. You will also get a set of detailed tutorials in both Visual Basic and CSharp.

I can only stipulate, that alot of work has gone into this new version of the toolkit, and you will not be disappointed.

The toolkit comes with a plethora of media from the DarkMATTER media packs, it also comes fully equipped with The Game Creators - Store. Lots of new features and examples to get you started on a journey of creation!

One final note. Ease of use!! The Visual Studio Suite will be setup with a ready to use Template for both Visual Basic and CSharp. You can create project, build it, and run it without any modifications.

Enjoy!!!

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Paul.

enablerbr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 00:20
well as we have to buy again. i'll pass on this. you may have done a lot of work on this new version and it may be a lot improved over the 1st version. however i feel a little ripped off. still nice to see it has evolved.
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 01:12
$30 is a extremely good price for new users, take it and don't complain, If you know C# or VB you are not going to regret it. When you think its not worth it, stop and think on this: For me an owner of the old version its going to cost about $90.00 USD, $60 USD for the First Version and now $30 USD (Half the original price) for the new one. And I'm going to buy it because I really want it. I always going to support this great guys.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 05:25
Ok, this was not 100% clarified. Will old users have to buy it again?

I know a lot of effort was made to bring this to life (I helped APEXnow as much as I could) but it really does not seem fair because people paid for it and will not have updates available, different from people who bought DBPro and get every single update.

I really like DarkGDK.NET, I still have 3 plugins ready to launch as soon as it is released, I would not be reluctant to pay the $30, but I really don't like having to do it any soon, the exchange rate for me is heavier now, it was R$ 1.59, but now is fluctuating to about R$ 2.43, depending on the day.

I think we'll have to wait for an official answer, but for now I think that asking for old users to buy it again is not the best decision to be made, I don't the numbers, but what it the person bought the old $200 commercial license?

@APEXnow: sorry for not being online for a long time and helping you more, I just had a lot of problems.

[center][center]
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 09:38
I also want to know if older buyers needs to buy it again?

For me its not the price ($30 is nothing) but more the idea about it...

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
Cipher77
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can understand that some people are reluctant about the issue of buying the toolkit, but considering the low price, you will not be disappointed. "

No one has answered my question about whether there will be a free one. I have no problem paying $30 for it, if I must. However, I don't plan on selling anything I make, so I don't want to pay for a privilege or feature that I will not use.
Cipher77
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Order Online

You can pre order Dark GDK .NET on-line. The process is safe and secure.

Dark GDK .NET
Dark GDK .NET

This version of Dark GDK .NET comes with an un-restricted royalty-free license.
$ Dollar € Euros £ Sterling Click to Buy
Price: $30 €25 £20 Click here to buy

Dark GDK .NET is an electronic product and is delivered by download only.

Please note that Dark GDK .NET has not yet been released - it will be available for download in early December."

Quote: "This version of Dark GDK .NET comes with an un-restricted royalty-free license."

This leads me to believe that there will be a free version.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 18:12
The problem is not the price, because I think $30 is a really low price for the benefits it gives (most important as it is a commercial license).

But I am agreeing with Niels, is not about paying for it, is more the idea that it will cost more to us, "early adopters": $30x$90 (or $230, for those with a commercial license).

[center][center]
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 19:48
@Cipher

You forgot at NOT. Its says that it comes with an un-restricted royalty-free license. That means that TGC dont need more money when you buy it. You can then sell your game/program as you want.

It does'nt say anything about a free version. If there will not be a free version I will maybe stay in DGDK and only use the version of DGDK.NET I have (bought) for my tools for the game...

Niels Henriksen
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 20:49
If there is not a free upgrade to existing customers, it would be just fair to have some upgrade special price.
Doesn't have to be a big discount, but for all of us that purchased this product before, would be a sentimental advantage, just to feel how TGC cares about it's faithful customers.

May the 3d force B with U
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 22:10
I Agreed whit JDforce. After all its Christmas time, And that would be a good present to us as early adopters and faithful customers. Lets see what happed.

Jimmy 9Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
WHEENNN!?!?!?!

I paid my $30. I want to start using it NOW....

Pleeeese!!!

Yes THEE Jimmy9Toes
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 17:49
We have discussed this issue today. Anyone who has purchased .NET or the commercial license in the past will get the new version as a free download. You will find it in your order history.

Expecting the release to happen tomorrow. I'll post when we are live.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 18:41
Thanks for the info Mike! That's really great news!

I'll be packing my plugins right now to have them released "with" DGDK.NET.

For those who haven't heard of them, I'll be releasing:
-LightText: A kind of "better text" plugin
-LightInput: Support for XInput (Xbox 360 controllers on PC)
-LightPackage: A kind of "PAK File" plugin, everything you need to pack your media.

[center][center]
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 19:33
You see guys, Its Christmas! , Thanks Mike for the update. Now I'm more than Happy!

Jimmy 9Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps it's already posted elsewhere in these forums but I'm too lazy to go looking for it.

Will we be able to use Dark Physics and Dark AI with Dark GDK.Net?

Yes THEE Jimmy9Toes
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 20:10
@Jimmy: Not for now, but I once heard they will be working on it as soon as dgdk.net is released.

[center][center]
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 20:12
Jimmy, not with this new release, but they will be supported ASAP.

Paul.

Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 20:39
I've preordered this. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd like to make my d3dfunc.dll available you everyone in .net

enablerbr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 20:52
thanks Mike. that makes me happy.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 21:31 Edited at: 4th Dec 2008 21:39
Cloggy, there is a very basic example of how to create a plugin in the toolkit. You will need to compile your DLL with the /CLR option, and use the provided DGDKPlugins.dll reference so that you can interface with the toolkit.

-- kBessa --
So kBessa, you'll be able to release your plugins soon then

Paul.

Jimmy 9Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't wait for the release.

I've been working on a pretty cool game using Blitz3D SDK and C#. I'm thinking of a rewrite using DarkGDK.Net just so that it'll be using the latest DirectX technology. Besides the rewrite will give me a chance to clean up some dirty code.

Yes THEE Jimmy9Toes
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 22:13
I'm stunned..... I will actually have it FRIDAY??? And then weekend and my wife has no plans? I can sit and play with it...

yaahhoooo....com......

Niels Henriksen
UberMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 02:47
Expected release tomorrow!!? Great news! Today's my Bday so ill be taking this as a slightly late gift! =P

Great F'ing news!
Cipher77
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I am sold. I didn't need an unrestricted commercial license, but for $30 who cares. It is probably the cheapest commercial license you will ever buy. Just don't release a free version in the next two months.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 14:40
Just so you know we are live. Orders will be ticked off shortly.

For previous owners of Dark GDK .NET - I have replaced the downloads in your Order History. Download the product again, the file is called Dark_GDK_NET_051208.zip.

Hope you enjoy it
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 15:42
@Mike - Very nice... downloaded and installed....

But.... How to make in running in console? The wizard is only for WindowsApp... not for console??

Niels Henriksen
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 15:48
My connection is slow, I'm still 5h far from it (downloading now).

I will first test my plugins with the released version (don't know if it will have compatibility problems, as I last compiled with a pre-release version), then I will release them. Or maybe anybody is wiling to test them for me?

[center][center]
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 15:48
Thanks Mike. Downloading in process...
Just a question, I have to uninstall my prior version first, right?

Any pre-cleaning suggestion?

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 15:55
Yes best to uninstall any previous version and remove any remaining files that may linger in C:\Program Files\The Game Creators, then install the new version.
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 16:30
Mike, It is better to ask-before, so here it goes,

A question regarding licensing: My previous version was the DarkGDK.net freeware license. In order to have the current unrestricted license do I have to pay the current $30 price or is it automatically unrestricted now?

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 16:43
JDforce, yes you get the commercial version. That is the only version we offer now for Dark GDK .NET.
Overlord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 17:50
Great news for existing dgkd.net customers like myself.

Downloaded it already

The way TGC handled this leaves me with a good feeling. I must say that even if the price was ok i feel better this way (hey free beer), must be a psychology thing.

And because I feel good I am considering buying the Darkgame Studio (I do have most of the items in there but that would give me access to the Tree Magik / Plant Life stuff).

Thanks again
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 20:20 Edited at: 5th Dec 2008 20:21
Niels,

Can you elaborate on your issue, I'm not quite understanding what your question is, sorry.

[EDIT] Glad to see positive feedback so far.

Paul.

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 21:10
@Paul

Sure.... Can we in some way avoid to have a form like in the old GDK.NET where it was a console startet up.

And.... how to interact with controls on the form from the GDK loop?

Niels Henriksen
Jumpster
Years of Service
User Offline
One more question: there's support for VS2008 VB and C#; what about C++? Any templates for that as well?

Regards,
Jumpster
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 23:05
@Niels: I now you can do it, because all my samples were done using the old way. Unfortunately I'm a lot busy right now and have get out of home for some hours, so I may not help you right away!

At least download will be finished when I get back, expect the plugins to be released in the next 10 hours.

[center][center]
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 23:21
@kB: I found out that the best is to maximize the control in the form and then use that... but it could be nice to use controls in the form... it would be good for tool-development.

I will not sleep the next 48 hours... I need to play with GDK.NET

Niels Henriksen
TenaC
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, that's GDK.Net purchased!... just gotta find the patience to wait for the order to be processed.

Ohh time goes so slowly when you stare at the clock.
TenaC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 20:10 Edited at: 12th Dec 2008 15:32
Approaching the 72 hour mark, still no download... and ordered on a weekday.. wondering what might have happened.
(Methinks I should get myself something to do instead of clock watching.. heh)

UPDATE: It has now arrived after a technical glitch which TGC have sorted.. about 60 megs of the dowload to go, then coding bliss.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 13:30:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 13:30:14