Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Using DarkGDK.NET in C# with XNA ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I am planning on becoming one of the first guys buying DarkGDK.NET . And I really want to know if we can use this library with xna.

And how about the other plug-ins like "Physx,EzRotate,Enhanced Animation". Are they going to be supported in the DarkGDK.NET
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 22:56
In answer to your first question, I'm not sure whether this is possible. DarkGDK.NET holds alot of internal data which would be difficult to get at to work with in XNA. You may be able to do stuff such as special effects and such, but it really depends on whether you actually want to use XNA with the toolkit in the first place. DarkGDK.NET is a more than capable platform for writing multimedia applications, and is easier to use as well.

Your second question is, yes! There's a little work to be done, but a majority of the plugins will be available for DarkGDK.NET. I'll be working with people to get this done as soon as humanly possible.

Paul.

Towfieee
Years of Service
User Offline
I use XNA for XBOX ... But I love the simplicity of TGC Products

Anyway I guess I will be giving you guys feedback on this subject after trying it on my xbox.
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 02:04
should DGDK.Net be released at the end of october?

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 15:00 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 15:05
Just a reminder that to the best of my limited knowledge; unless something has changed. I don't think DarkGDK.net or DarkGDK will work on the 360, but it would be nice if it could.

I may have misunderstood what you meant, but just wanted to make that clarification. XNA was designed to work with the 360, and transfers over to the PC, but the 360 has some minor differences form a PC that would keep Dark Basic or the GDK's from working on the 360. At least that is what I have understood people to say on the forums here.

If I am wrong, someone will soon come by and clarify.

I think Dark Basic and the GDK's make programming easier than XNA, but who am I to say for sure.

[Edit - to more accurately express opinion of 360 vs PC, and corrct another spelling error.]
Towfieee
Years of Service
User Offline
I was talking about using darkGDK within xna. for example what I am going to try is to add "using" statements to the ones xna already using. Just like adding physics library to xna. But instead adding the darkGDK "using" statements. After including all the files needed for both libraries. And again I am not the best in C# and maybe all what I said was imposible to do who knows.

Anyway ... I will have a first hand experience on this subject as soon as it comes out.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 03:46
You probably can't.

You can use DarkGDK.NET with Managed DirectX or SlimDXbecause both can accept to work with DGDK's Direct3D Device, by creating a new device with it's pointer.

Unfortunately, XNA's encapsulation of the Device object does not allow a construction from an unmanaged device, so it doesn't share devices.

If you're wishing to extend DarkGDK.NET, I'd recommend SlimDX. I'm using it for my plugins. http://slimdx.mdxinfo.com/

[center][center]
Towfieee
Years of Service
User Offline
I read the following in SlimDX wiki source:

Quote: "SlimDX does not and will never support the Xbox 360 or Zune."

And that was my main concern.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 14:27
@towfieee:

If you're wanting to develop for XBox 360 and Zune, you're really tied to XNA, other game engines built upon DX9 will not work with it.

[center][center]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 23:06 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 23:15
Quote: "If you're wanting to develop for XBox 360 and Zune, you're really tied to XNA, other game engines built upon DX9 will not work with it."

That is fine by me.
The $99 a year to develop for it is cool too.
I am only discovering this XNA stuff just now.

If you want to develop for Xbox 360 then...

1) Get Visual C# 2008 Express Edition and the MSDN Express Library.
2) Get XNA Game Studio 3.0
3) Pay the $99 annual fee for the Premium Membership in the XNA® Creators Club.

So, for less than a hundred bucks you can publish your Xbox 360 games on Xbox LIVE!

Developing for the Xbox 360 is a step up for indies.
It really makes indies look like a AAA company with the big budgets, so I bet it will be quite successful.
If the other platforms don't adopt this same strategy, then I think MicroSoft will soon dominate the console market.
Just imagine the number of titles that will soon be available for the Xbox 360.

DarkGDK.NET is more for PC development isn't it?

Quote: "And I really want to know if we can use this library with xna"

Doesn't DarkGDK use C++ and the XNA use C#?

Swampert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 23:40
lol totally different languages ftw . It would be so cool if making XBOX games with XNA was as ez as G-D-K... but so sowwy. It is not T.T

GDA - Game Developers Anonymous - Get in touch with your creative side.

Yeah I like Pokemon... so what?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 15:18:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 15:18:40