Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Any way to compress a .x model??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 19:58
Is there any way I can compress a .x model? I have a level I created with 3d world studio. I exported it to .x format. It's about 3mb and takes a while to load and there is lag while the program is running. Is compression the answer?
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 03:55
If you were to compress the file, you would have to decompress before loading, which would take extra time.

My site, for various stuff that I make.
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 00:22
Most large commercial games that have huge amount of media do compress the files, then unpack them for use. The downside is, like SunDawg said, you will have more loading time as time is needed to decompress your media.

Also, compression has no bearing on performance. The reason you are getting techlag is that your video card/processor is not good enough! You're trying to render too many polygons.

You could load the world mesh into a program like, say, milkshape and reduce the poly count, though you would have to retexture it afterwards as the UV coordinates would be all screwed up.

Cheers!

Tux is my guildmaster.
FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 16:12 Edited at: 4th Dec 2008 16:12
.X files have various formats:
Text
Binary
Binary Zip(Which is the binary format compressed using zip)

Check if your exporter can export to .X Zip Binary.
(You are gonna find something like 'xof 0303bzip0032' on the file header)
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 17:14 Edited at: 4th Dec 2008 17:16
As Bishop pointed out, compression is not a factor at runtime, just at loading time.
Data is always decompressed to memory for the program to be able to use it at runtime.

If you want the fastest loading time, avoid using the text format, since this needs to be parsed first (as text) by the loading program, and converted to binary prior to use. The binary variation practically needs to be loaded and used.
The zipped binary version needs some extra time while decompression takes place.

The export format on disk that you can get actually depends on the creating program. Not sure if 3DWS support those variations as do 3DSMax, Truespace, Fragmotion and others.

May the 3d force B with U

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 11:22:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 11:22:28