Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / I have to ask for permission from every game if i want to review it?..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
well do i have to ask everyone as i want to launch the site and all the major games ive already recieved 2 replies saying they dont want their games advertised on www.fpscgames.co.uk....

so if all the finished games dont get advertised then wouldnt that be a problem for the site...
X Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 20:27 Edited at: 4th Dec 2008 20:28
It would be a problem yes but It could be that you don't have a site for the url yet so they are more likely to say NO, do you offer to host game .exe? That mite help also give the game there own page with reviwe and rating system!
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 21:26 Edited at: 4th Dec 2008 21:29
I'm not sure I understand. You don't need anyone's permission to review their game. As far as I am concerned you would only need to ask permission if you wanted to host their games on your site. So if someone says no, then don't host their game, but you can still do a review of it, with a link pointing to their site/download or whatever. Now if they are charging $$ for the game, and are refusing to give you a free review copy, that's different. In that case you would have to buy it, and then review it.

And if they don't like the reveiw, well that's just too bad. They put the game out there, and you are free to write what you think about it, good or bad.

~Zenassem
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 21:35 Edited at: 4th Dec 2008 21:35
Agreed.

If developers could control the review written about their games, do you think we would see any bad reviews?

Its up to you, but technically they have no say in the matter, as long as you link to their site and don't post it for download.

http://www.seqoiagames.com
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 22:38
Oh, and I just wanted to say it would be good if you were impartial as possible. Try not to make too many friendly deals with people here on the forum. You would be doing a disservice if you were to give good reviews of games you didn't like just because the game creator was friendly, and helpful to you; or vice-versa.

~Zenassem
4thlez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
ok ill put this is plain english, i dont want a copy of their games, i registered fpscgames.co.uk so i can put like a review on the site and link it to the original site, i dont want to host any games, if they want to download the game they would go on the creators site, my site is to create more better atmosphere here for fpsc games, so im sure it wouldnt be a problem....i do not want copys to put on the site, jus a couple of screenshots which i can get myself and review it, thats it....but add some life to the gaming experience...
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 23:11 Edited at: 4th Dec 2008 23:13
Then review whatever you want. While it's a nice courtesy to ask for permission, it's not a a neccessity. Some people may offer to give you more info on the title, or screenshots, and that could be a plus. But just becuase someone doesn't want their game reviewed doesn't mean you can't. You'll have to decide how important it is to you to have a complete database. It may tick some people off; some people could get offended etc... Are you ok with that? If so, go ahead and do what you want to do.

~Zenassem
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 00:00
As long as you dont include any of there property such as screen shots videos ect... then i think you can review there game without there consent.

Xtinction Coming Soon.
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "screen shots videos ect... then i think you can review there game without there consent"

I think you're allowed to upload screenshots(if you took them)
4thlez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
i have asked for permission from around 13 different creators, so im waitin for their replies, im gonna sort this out before i upload the site, because i dont want to upload something which is just gonna caus trouble, but well c, im sure it will be sorted out...plus i can use screenshots and videos as long as i dont claim they are mine, and i say where they are from....
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 03:24
You can post images provided you bought a copy of the game.
And they are your screenshots.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson
4thlez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
no you dont need to buy a copy of the game because the shots are already available... im not selling the gamesdont u understand, im jus reviewin it on the site with the resources i have available...
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
How can you review a game without playing it? Otherwise you are just reviewing marketing materials (screen shots and maybe a demo)...

Unless of course you only review free games.

In either case you do better service to the potential user by taking your own screenshots/making your own videos of the titles to accompany your reviews. Or are you just wanting to be a soapbox for developers to showcase their products and you add some commentary? I guess I'm confused...
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Your in a kinda grey area here , I am with Errant here when he asks how can you review a game if you dont play it, if the game is free and you do play it, then whats to stop you taking your own screenshots at the time?
The question of whether taking screenshots from web pages and posting them on your site is pretty murky, a lot of material within a game may be custom also whoever took the screenshot has rights just as if they took a photograph, and is therefore the intellectual property of the creator. If you request folks to post images of their game as TGC do (they also have a license that I think states that they can use such materials as they see fit which is fair enough as they created a lot of the content used to make these games) then you post your own, you wouldnt post images someone else made around here.
Just because someone posts an image on a website does not mean it is instantly public domain, its simply courtesy to ask if you can use anyhow, if they say no I would be pretty careful what I do.
I dont know for certain, never actually looked into it, but I dont see how a screenshot image would differ from any other image when it comes to ownership.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "also whoever took the screenshot has rights just as if they took a photograph"

Even that's a bit of a grey area. I remember reading about a court ruling related to that which classified screenshots as digital replication, lacking the same usage rights as a camera-produced image. However, using screenshots you take yourself for purposes of making a review/reporting news is fair-use.

On the other hand. If not actually playing a game to make a review, one should skip straight to the big leagues and review games for EA, Ubisoft, etc (especially the movie licensed titles lol). They'd love you to pieces and probably send all sorts of free stuff too
4thlez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 17:30 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 18:16
MOD Edit (only warning), this is gonna be harder than i thought, ok what i want to do is this, if there is a game available, then i would play the demo, and if its free, even better, take screenshots of the game, review it as to give it exposre onthe site, i will not download a game and let it be on my site to download, its not my game, i want to be like a resource site uswell where people can go and chill

Errant said

Or are you just wanting to be a soapbox for developers to showcase their products and you add some commentary? I guess I'm confused...

yes thats what i want to do as in shocase their products and i just add it for some bigger exposure, i dont want to go review EA or Ubisoft games, thats their job, im doin it here caus i know it will be fun and good and plus i use FPS Creator for my game and i just thought of an idea which i think could be good so someone can go to a website fpscgames.co.uk which is perfect for the software and put good games there and if agame is for sale i would simply look at the screenshot and if a demo is available i can review it from the demo and free games review themuswell plus organise competitions etc... kinda like a fpsc community....
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 20:26 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 20:31
Your whole concept is sound far as I can see, its just that to give fair comment on games means you need to say if a game is absolute rubbish, not just pander to developers afraid you might give offense with a low rating or whatever, this is most likely the reason you have not had much response to your requests you have no history in this area.
Once you have established your site and show that you will give fair opinion and give games a fair chance, I think it will work itself out, but be prepared to ruffle a few feathers and dont just give glowing reviews on everything that comes your way, I think what you may need is a few guys to aid you in reviewing process so you get a more even opinion. Just take a look at how criticism is recieved on these boards to get an idea of how this is all likely to be accepted.
If you just intend to allow devs to advertise their games on your site with a little further comment from you I dont see why anyone would say no to you, got nothing to lose from what I see, but again you probably just need to get a nice site that will be maintained properly and looks like it will last, in other words it still wont be an overnight success your gonna have to work at it.
4thlez Games
Years of Service
User Offline
of course i know that very well... and im sure it will last....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 19:20:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 19:20:10