Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK vs DarkGDK.NET

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 23:28
Since both of these are (almost) on the same level as each other, which one do you guys think is better?

Please contribute any and all opinions to why you think one might be better over the other...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 02:14
Not having used the .NET version the only thing I can say is that I'm looking forward to using a version that is object oriented. I've written my own wrappers for 2D functions but I'd rather use and inherit from something supported by the originators.

I'd also like the access to the other .NET functionality, notably the web based ones.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 02:14
It depends on the language you are using. Are you new to C++ but know .NET then its GDK.NET and if you are familiar with C++ then its GDK

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 05:10
With C++ you might even use someone else's Object Oriented wrapper, but which is not supported by TGC.

With .NET, the Class Library is a plus! It's full OO, supported by TGC.

[center][center]
RPDan
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I've been waiting quite a while to use the .NET version now because I prefer C# to C++, but that's just my preference. Also, because it comes with object orientation it will, presumabely, be easier to work with if you want to use OO.
Jimmy 9Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
I just love the ease of use of the C# language.

Yes THEE Jimmy9Toes
CPPP
Years of Service
User Offline
Even though I'm used to program in C++, GDK.NET is tempting since GDK for that is object oriented.
Looking at C# it looks very similar to C++, but most things that have changed seems to be for the better.
And am I getting it right that I can use normal win32 with forms and stuff like that? I'm restricted to the normal main() in C++ for GDK.
So on paper it looks like a real winner, if it is almost as fast as c++...

But since it is not free, I will dabble on with the free GDK in c++ for a while, just to learn some stuff and see if I'll be able to do something fun or useable.

Another C# route that could be taken is yet another free offer from microsoft:XNA. It seems more complicated though, but possibly more stable for stuff like shaders (on vista. That is something that just don't seem to work with my GDK in Vista 64. Not even the supplemented "advanced shaders" demo work.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 01:48 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 01:55
Question for any one with the new release of DGDK.NET.

Is this new version compliant with the DB Pro V7.0 code base, or is it still only at the same level as the current DGDK?

EDIT: Is there now an equivalent command for 'SET OBJECT MASK'.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 15:16
Quote: "Is this new version compliant with the DB Pro V7.0 code base, or is it still only at the same level as the current DGDK?
"

It isn't at this moment in time, but it soon will be. My task was to get the new version out there first, wait for a little feedback on issues that have cropped up, and then kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

I've already begun bringing the toolkit inline with the latest GDK build, but it will be at least a couuple of weeks before I'm going to release an update.

Paul.

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 16:12
@Paul - Now we have a lot to play with... and its wonderful... I just dont know how to tell my wife that I want to cancel christmas

Niels Henriksen
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 17:04
ROFL!!!

...and thanks.

Paul.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 21:16
I have been a fanboy of DBPro for a long, long time. I came to it after trying to do use C++ with DirectX API and getting frustrated with the API and the language. I don't really like C++ as a language (array/string handling and pointers) but I thought basic was "okay". I've been playing around with C# lately and all the dislikes I've had with C++ are pretty much gone in there. So I may be buying this DarkGDK.Net since I'm familiar with almost all the DBPro commands already and it would be nice to do some OOP.

If I have C# specific language questions is there a forum you guys like to go to for help or should I ask my questions here?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 23:50
You can ask them here, but this is likely to change soon due to my request to have this forum re-organised into the two flavours of the toolkit (C++/.NET)

There is the http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=20 forum for general questions on programming of course.

Paul.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 00:01
@APEXnow: YEAH! I also wanted this sooooooo much. C#/VB.NET with DGDK.NET's OOP vs. C++ with DarkGDK's structured are WAAAAAAAY different. We should deserve our own forum.

[center][center]
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 02:15
yeah.... give us our own forum....

Niels Henriksen
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 19:52
It would certainly make things easier to sort out.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 05:46
DEFINATELY need new forum... DarkGDK C++ and DarkGDK.Net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 13:33:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 13:33:34