Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Starting to slowly lose my heart in FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 02:38
Don't get me wrong, i love using FPSC. But the problem is, is that when i make a map i don't just go for the basics, when i make a map I MAKE A MAP! the maps i create are so beautiful, with a lot of entities, segments and prefabs. OMG the maps look beautiful, but my problem is THERE SO FRACKING HUGE! When i launch the game it looks like my guy is running at the pace of a snail. Running at roughly 9 to 10 FPS, and it really disheartens me because i put so much effort in to that only to scrap it for what seems like the 1000th time (Over exaduration) And i don have DBPRo to go in to the FPSC source code and see if i can make it go faster (If did that might as well write the whole thing over, pfft wishful thinking)

but the maps that most people create look so easy, so simple. Then again FPSC is based around that consept and i respect that, i just didn't like scrapping the game that took me a month to make, not to mention the countless hours i lost on sleep. I noticed though that the sprites move at the speed there suppose to, but i can't run at the speed i would if i had say 30 or 40 FPS. I don't know maybe I'm missing something here, can some one help me please?

P.S
Im looking for free model packs that ARE ALLOWED TO BE FREE, like model packs people made and are giving them away free, not the model packs that cose money here even though i bought 5 model packs and loving it. But any free material?

We create games of tomorrow so you can play for the future
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 03:10 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 03:12
Quote: "the maps i create are so beautiful, with a lot of entities, segments and prefabs. "

Go Low poly.
Use billboards for trees instead of traditional models.
You can place a hundred 16 poly billboard trees for less strain than one good character of around 2000 polys.
Your characters could be lower too like 600 to 800 polys if you want to have large numbers.

You have to choose....quantity or quality...because you can only have so many polys before any engine starts slowing down.

Quote: "P.S
Im looking for free model packs that ARE ALLOWED TO BE FREE, like model packs people made and are giving them away free, not the model packs that cose money here even though i bought 5 model packs and loving it. But any free material?"

TrueSpace is FREE, and with it you can model anything for yourself.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
pur more effort into your textures and go low poly on models
flewster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 04:02
Why not make several smaller maps of your great big map and have them as different levels instead of one great big map? That way it would divide things up and not so much would have to be generated on one big map...........then when played it would be able to handle things..........just my two cents.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
have you tried using trigger zones to spawn entities to cause less lag?

]
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 05:06
Have you tried Airmod? It boosts performance.

http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coolsignaturebr2.png
dumpus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 05:57 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 05:58
Yeah, Airmod is great for performance, I'd seriously consider trying it. Other ways to achieve the best performance would be:

-Less dynamic entities
-Spawn enemies/other objects using trigger zones
-Put doors in where rooms are connected (so the engine doesn't have to render extra scenery)
-Smaller texture sizes (256x256 instead of 512x512, etc)

Also, regarding the free media, it's all over the boards. Check out the Models and Media section...if you dig around, there's a ton of cool stuff to find.

Hope I could help!

*This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.*
Haven Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 07:12
Yeah FPS Creator is good, but bad it's like someone who is life lesson smart, but not book smart. It made one of the first DirectX10 engines and a good X9 engine, but lacking basic features of other engines.

Haven Studios

Add me on Xbox Live PPL :3
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 08:03 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 08:11
Quote: "but lacking basic features of other engines"

I disagree, because it goes beyond basic features.
The only thing FPSC is lacking is supply of motivated gamer makers to push it to its limits.

Quote: "Yeah FPS Creator is good, but bad it's like someone who is life lesson smart, but not book smart."

If you don't like it, then don't use it.
Nobody is twisting your arm.

Marc Steene
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 08:52
Quote: "The only thing FPSC is lacking is supply of motivated gamer makers to push it to its limits"

Exactly. Rolfy did this in Eldora, and Butters did it in Umbra, and there may be a few more, but i can't remember them off the top of my head.

Free Segment Packs: V1-http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124552&b=24
V2 - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124709&b=24
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 10:00
The problem with the internet is that you can't hear intonation, so when you say:
Quote: "i create are so beautiful, with a lot of entities, segments and prefabs. OMG the maps look beautiful"

...you could come across as arrogant. Do you not think that this is a problem we all come across? It's just 'one of those things' that we, as users of FPSC, all have to deal with.

And then there's this:
Quote: "but the maps that most people create look so easy, so simple"

Thanks a lot! I'm sure that many of the users here have created 'simple' and 'easy' maps. However, how do you expect them to learn without getting to grips with the basics? They might have to make several maps, or even several games, before they get good at it; it's just them learning.

Coming back to my point on intonation, you'll probably think I'm just shouting at my screen right now. I'm not, but I'm just trying to prove a point that when you put your own levels on a high pedastal, then insult the community (many of which are inexperienced) and then ask for free content on top of that, it's just not...nice.

Regardless, I'd very much like to see some screenshots of your level(s) both in-game and in the editor. Then we might be able to see some issues and help.

AE

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 11:17
If your making multiple maps with lots of content then testing the game and finding its ground to a halt, you need to go back and figure out how to change that. Making another map and pressing test game with your fingers crossed probably isn't going to help.

FPSC can be made to create games with good performance in a believably large map but you have to be prepared to make optimisations along the way.

You can download S4Mod (includes airmod) which will be your best choice for performance as it caps the framerate higher at 38fps and uses timer systems. FPSC X10 has very good performance compared with X9 even with all the cool new features it has are being used.

FPSC can even be used purely as a level editor now thanks to Dark GDK so you can create nice looking maps then import them into a C++ development environment which you won't have performance issues with but requires some coding.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 12:52
Quote: "FPSC can even be used purely as a level editor now thanks to Dark GDK so you can create nice looking maps then import them into a C++ development environment which you won't have performance issues with but requires some coding. "

and this my friend is very cool!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 01:37
Quote: "and this my friend is very cool!"

That is cool.
I have been looking at that Dark GDK thingy and how it gives you the power of DarkBASICPro and C++ together.
That is awesome, so I may have to learn C++ now while learning DBPro.
I have the 2008 studio with all the languages, but thats on the desktop.
I may install that express on my laptop and give that thing a whirl.
Then again, it was fun making my first clickable buttons in DBPro, so I am not sure if I want a visual editor.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 02:03
Quote: "I have been looking at that Dark GDK thingy and how it gives you the power of DarkBASICPro and C++ together. That is awesome, so I may have to learn C++ now while learning DBPro"

Yeah. The coding differences in Dark GDK really aren't difficult to get your head around. Think of it as DBPro with a C++ wrapper.

As far as I'm concerned if your still learning DBPro you might aswell just go all out on Dark GDK and benefit from better performance.

I'm using VC++ 08 express. It works really well and I'm beginning to see the benefits of making your game with it.

I put the attached together using some tutorials in a couple of evenings and also tested a huge terrain with high quality light maps and it rendered in game with fantastic performance. I'd definately use Dark GDK if you want really large environments in your game.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 02:15 Edited at: 13th Dec 2008 02:20
Quote: "I'd definately use Dark GDK if you want really large environments in your game. "

I want a lot of things, but what I need is more free time before learning yet another language.

I am having a hard time finding the free time to learn DBPro.

I think until then though I will continue to use FPSC and build my zombie game that is so far behind schedule its embarrassing.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 02:26
Nice work Nomad soul, Conjured.. that's understandable... life has a way of messing up schedules and expected release dates Trust me... I know first hand LOL
--Jason

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I've found this annoying too. You place one tile on the map, and you plop your player down, and then you run it, only to find out it looks as if he is standing in the middle of the desert.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 08:01
Quote: "You place one tile on the map"

Throw a pic at us.. maybe we can help.

--Jason

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 10:14
sounds like you've got automatic ground turned on...

AE

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 00:30
or he's talking about the skybox...

I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 18:34
As for the free stuff, there's the 12 Days of Gunn3r Games... Usually you would have to buy these packs...

Gunn3r Games

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 21:34:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 21:34:15