Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Wierd Glitch testing Images/Sprites, blank screen! 3d and text work tho...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 03:23 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 06:22
I was doing the Hello World Tutorial, and the screen is blank no matter what I do. If I do "Hello World" as text and not as a sprite it works just fine, in fact it works when I do both (the sprite doesnt show up of course). I can even do a 3d cube, but no sprites... It doesnt error or warning me, it just doesnt show up. What am I doing wrong!?

I tried a couple things I'm sure I'm doing something really simple wrong... Heres the code:

OK so after that I tried to do the 3d model tutorial, but the models don't show up. I guess only 3d shapes work, like spheres and cubes and what ever. I'd post code but its exactly the same as the tutorials. On that note, I get the occasional error spawning /FD. I don't know what thats all about but it only happens when I try to test the tutorials...
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 16:49
Ive just copied your code and tried it and it worked for me, all I can think of is you havnt got animatedsprite.png in the right folder.
Go to My Documents\visual studio 2008\projects\hello world\hello world and make sure animatedsprite.png is in the same folder as main.cpp
If it cant find your image it wont tell you, it will compile and run but wont show anything.

Might be same problem with 3D model, although sometimes you have to try scaling the model because its too small or too big dbScaleObject(1,500,500,500), I doubt this is the problem in tutorial though.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 04:28
When I installed .... I noticed ALL the media was off a directory level. You might have to mod the code so it loads the media correctly.... it defaults to looking one directory to high or something I forget... but once I mod'd the file sources.. after a search file etc.. and figured out where stuff was... I got it working. this is a very annoying thing.

--Jason

Expert Novice
Years of Service
User Offline
OK so I checked to see if the files were in with main, and they were I used VSc++ to ensure that, then I double checked after reading jason's post and the files were in the program but not the folder... So I tried putting the files in the folder with main via windows explorer and now the screen just stays black and the game is frozen when I debug... Im SO confused.
Expert Novice
Years of Service
User Offline
GREAT NEWS! after intense loading time, the program actually WORKS!!! Im now able to make stuff! Thanks Matty and Jason for all your help. I couldn't've done it without you!

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 07:37
Awesome! Glad to have helped! Nothing like getting that first compile to come together... that's when you rub your hands together... get an evil eye, hint of a smile and go "hmmm... now let's get started!"

--Jason

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 13:23:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 13:23:06