Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Time to Shop for Goodies... Any Advice?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Im now really thinking about getting some expensive tools for my hobby, but I don't know what I'll need.

I'll be getting leadwerks eventually, aside from that what should I get? Im totally new to C++ but I really like game design.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 11:57
Get the real 3D Studio modeling software if you can... pricey but its what the pros use... *.3ds files etc are made from it.

I'd do a ton of research man - I've bought more 3d software than I can use because there is something wrong with all of it.. and frankly its the overlap of things that do work that collectively serve as the tools to use.. if that doesn't make sense.. let me rephrase - sometimes three product together do one task I want through a bunch of labor.. sometimes that's good.. sometimes its because none of those hypothetical products 100% did what they said they would and I HAD to resort to multiple "passes" to get a particular job done.

If you like deisnging games.. PERHAPS .. you get that free FPSC and play a bit.. check out the realmcrafter demo... (FREE ..version 2 is supposed to be better but no free demo) ... um.. Scope out more than one game engine.. Irrlicht, Torque, Ogre, OpenGL, OpenGraph, DarkGDK C++ (free), DarkGDK.Net (30$ = no brainer) um... yeah...

I personally like 3DWS sold here - bought the engineering package - basically program plus some decent media textures.. um... Truespace many like, Milkshape is a decent modeler.. TED terrain Editor? Decent for sure.. not perfect .. depends on your target game engine working well with one or more of the file formats TED terrain editor saves to.. same story for all media creation tools if you ask me..

Um.. that's all I have for now sir.. good luck.. and spend slowly and wisely as possible.. after all all those software purchases are typically "ALL SALES FINAL - No REFUNDS" LOL

--Jason

Yoda Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 16:28 Edited at: 12th Dec 2008 16:29
@jason p sage:

Quote: "
...DarkGDK C++ (free), DarkGDK.Net (30$ = no brainer) um... yeah...
"

O_O
What do you mean "no brainer" ? You mean that programming with DarkGDK.NET requires...no brain??? I hope I've misunderstand your words...

@expert novice: What do you like to do? 3D modeling? Code programming?

Fear leads to anger
Anger leads to hate
Hate leads to suffering
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 17:12
Quote: "...DarkGDK C++ (free), DarkGDK.Net (30$ = no brainer) um... yeah..."

I think he meant $30 is cheap for a good product.

expert novice, if its the programming side of things you like I wouldnt spend too much too soon, there is alot of free stuff you can take advantage of. I use the free models, if I ever get round to nearly completing a game I will spend out on some models.
I agree with jason, 3DWS is a really good package and you can try it out for free.
Good luck.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 20:20
LOL - Yeah - I mean for $30, you can't really go wrong!
--Jason

Expert Novice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 03:48 Edited at: 13th Dec 2008 03:52
Ooops double post... My bad. Thanks for the quick reply guys!
Expert Novice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 03:48 Edited at: 14th Dec 2008 07:28
Im gonna get started with dark gdk i understand it enough, and leadwerks 2.1 has a terrain/map editor and physics, so im holding out for that. Im not artistic, i dont want to bother making my own models, so what will leadwerks be all I need?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 13:31:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 13:31:56