Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Does DarkGDK work with vs2005 Pro? (Missing LINQ? ugh)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 14:51
I was hoping I could use my Visual Studio 2005 Pro with DarkGDK.Net.. Can I? LINQ is some new .net Extensions.. are these not usuable? Hmm.. any help would be cool

--Jason

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 15:29
Ok... I got some good results so far.. but I also was handed a disturbing window dialog telling me my vs2005 C# 3.0 .net is unsupported or something from Microsoft.. but I managed to get the darkgd.net2 terrain demo running by doing the following:

1: Install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1e902c21-340c-4d13-9f04-70eb5e3dceea&displaylang=en I know it looks old by the year, the beta tag etc.. but I couldn't find a newer one...

2: Make a new "project" (without the "create project directory" check box selected) in the same directory as the sample project you wish to try out that shipped with DarkGDK.Net .. I personally chose a unique name to not touch the existing *.sln for vs2008.

example path:

3: Remove the default files: form1.cs, program.cs, form1.resx from you new solution

4: add "existing item" .. all the file for the sample project/tutorial your looking at... in this terrain demo I added the fmain.cs, dgdkapplication.cs and program.cs files.

5: from vs2005 menu: Project->Add reference to DarkGDK (anything you see darkgdk related there DarkGDKPlugin was one, DarkGDKNet was another I think) ALSO.. seek out the LINQ thing... its in System.Data.LinQ.

6: Now, when I compiled I got three errors due to the missing "assembly" and all I had to do then was for each of the three errors... I had to change

to

And the demo compiled and ran. NOW.. this thread is still open... does anyone have any ideas they can add? Did I do something unnecessary? Is the link I gave for a download the best one? Is something newer available? Will that newthing work in vs2005? Is there a better way? Can I make that Unsupport 3.0 thing go away.. in other words can I make my vs2005 installation "supported" again? (Presumably it was supported until I installed the Linq Beta thingy)

Thanx in advance (and I hope this post helps the next person scratching their head on the same thing

--Jason

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 15:52
The pre-release toolkit (1 month old) was working just fine with VS2005, it didn't require .NET 3.0. I really don't know what changed. Can you give us some light APEX?

[center][center]
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 04:48
kBessa,

This new release only contained templates that should have been installed for Visual Studio 2008. If I need to re-introduce the 2005 templates, I can do this. I went full 2008 support because the compiler is downloadable and free, which basically superceedes the 2005 version anyway.

I don't really want to go backwards tbh, so if possible, can people try to upgrade. Even with the Express versions. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Paul.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 04:56
ugh... I'll try.. I prefer the full version of the IDE because of the Resource editing, the gui stuff, the compiler optimizations.. and springing for vs2008 professional.. well.. not is a big hurry for that one

--Jason (I'll deal with funky templates - its not like it doesn't work or anything... )

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 05:49
I already got VC# 2008 SP1, I'll use it for now.

There might be a big project for me around the corner, if that turns out to be true, I'll just go and buy an Expression Subscription (Vista, Visual Studio 2008, Expression Studio 2, Office 2007). I really need them

[center][center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 13:15:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 13:15:32