Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK apps wont run on other machines. please help.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 02:27 Edited at: 15th Dec 2008 02:32
Hi, I'm coding a game with dark gdk, (also includes multisync) but when I compile it, in release or debug, and send it to a friend to test, they recieve "program name".exe is not a valid win32 application.

This happened with the basic 3d wizard program too, in both debug and release. (so not using multisync)

What runtimes do the end user need? I know he has the latest DirectX and that should be it right?

The funny thing is he also has directX SDK installed, and VC++, so he'd have more runtime libraries available than most people. Do end users need to install Dark GDK? Because i thought the idea of a GDK was its a game development kit, not a runtime library.

I also tried just creating a console application (not using dark gdk) for multisync using source from the forums and the application worked on my machine again, but not on his, giving the error "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application log for more details."
Carlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Since DarkGDK for C++ uses the DirectX SDK 9.0c August 2007, the end users should at least with their DirectX runtime updated to 9.0c August 2007.
But it is better to updating to the latest dx 9.0c runtime.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 04:49
Quote: "is not a valid win32 application"
sounds a little more like a .Net Manifest (CLR JIT Micro$Junk Techno Babble) issue than a DirectX Library issue... typically you get some sort of message with dx, directx, dx9, d3d or something in the text for a directx library inconsistancy.

I dunno for sure either - and updating DirectX on their machine can't hurt and is worth a shot.

I'd personally upload a zip file with a simple little "tesT" application for us forumer's to give it a spin to see if the compiler settings are right... and to determine (like a poll sorta) if its an issue with you, your friend's PC or whatever...

--Jason

Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 02:24
Ok, guys, here is the little console application (not using dark gdk)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 02:26 Edited at: 15th Dec 2008 02:32
And here is the little rpg game. (using dark gdk) Thanks in advance for testing.
The machines ive tested on have the latest versions of directX (9 and 10).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 03:04
The DarkGDB based RPG game runs fine on my machine.

The windows firewall would firstly block it from running until I told the firewall to allow it (after all it is using networking).
Maybe it is a firewall setup problem that your friend has.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 03:10
Grrr - you forgot the multisync dll for the console DL... So I copied it to the RPG directory.. and it ran but "failed to connect to server" or whatever...

The RPG "client" looks like a start... it reminds me of some old RPG dungeon crawlers I've looked at in times past.. Keep up the good work.

--Jason

Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 04:30 Edited at: 15th Dec 2008 04:35
yeah if it says failed to connect on the console client that is fine, it means it ran, obv my server isnt up atm.

its not a firewall setup, since that would just stop the network from connecting, not just say invalid win32.

So what we have worked out thus far is both programs run, but i assume you guys also have dark gdk + its dependencies installed.

What we need is someone who does not have these installed and only has directx, which should be all you need to run it. As in the case of my friend.

On another note the rpg engine.exe is basically a rewrite of huge dungeons dbpro tutorial to c++, with 4 player multiplayer. \o/
Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 15:29
Ok, I made a fresh install on a windows xp sp2 machine, with nothing other than directX 9.0c installed, and got my exe to work by including the VC++ redistributibles, msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcm90.dll, and the Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC90.CRT. Then a small hiccup that i have on pretty much every machine that hasnt run db progs before, d3dx9_35.dll doesnt seem to be included in normal dx installs. Ok so copy that across too and viola, it works.

Then I take this solution to my friend's computer, and guess what?
Is not a valid win32 application.

Any thoughts?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 16:24
This isn't much help likely... and I don't think it is germane to .Net but I'll mention it anyways... I ran into a problem with a pre .Net VB app where a change to the code that was minor all of a sudden made the app refuse to compile .. the compiler setting was set to compile to native code. I changed that as a shot in the dark wishful thinkging thing to "compile to PCode" and "whella.. it worked.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of compiler option buried in the property pages that would change the type of .Net EXE that's created... something akin to "cpu target" or perhaps a setting that changes what "library" is linked or referenced in the assembly file. I have this sneaking suspision that either your friends have different .Net versions, or you have a developer version that's "beta" or "not typical" somehow... because it would make sense that a EXE from a "newer" .Net framework would be complete foreign to the OS and be reported generically as "not a valid win32 application"... notice it doesn't have a message like "this exe is for an unsupported .net framework" or anything with the word (is it a word? LOL) ".Net"... which makes me think the OS has no clue what that EXE contains.

Speaking of assembly file... that xml puppy has alot (to much IMHO) about the executable... if you haven't yet inspected it.. it might shed some light... manifest might be helpful also? I dunno.

Sorry I'm not more help .. but I'll keep trying to throw ideas at you .. never know when that spark will fly and the issue gets resolved

--Jason

AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 17:27
Try running the release version, not the debug version

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 22:47
DOH... Of course! That is probably it! do tell if that fixes it!
--Jason

Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 04:19 Edited at: 16th Dec 2008 04:39
Tried release version, same error, not vaild win32.

Also he has latest .NET runtimes. Btw, isnt dark gdk not C++ .NET? And then shouldn't need them anyway. Makes sense to me since my prog works on my xp machine, that is a fresh install, (no .NET runtime), all it needed was DirectX and VC++ runtimes.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 10:42
I think that only Dx9 runtimes are really needed. VC++ libraries or CRT are not needed.

I can say that I keep on getting reports from a very small percentage of users that state that the DGDK program quits to desktop, even having dx9 installed.

However, as Jason pointed, 'not a valid win32 application' sounds more like an issue related to the settings for the target machine, like compiling for 64 bits and being run in a 32 bit cpu.

Quote: "I also tried just creating a console application (not using dark gdk) for multisync using source from the forums and the application worked on my machine again, but not on his..."

You pointed it out then, it is not DGDK related.
Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 10:51 Edited at: 16th Dec 2008 12:43
The side by side configuration issue was caused by not having the VC++ runtimes, which it would seem are required by Multisync.

However the 'not a vaild win32' issue is being given on that pc for any kind of dark gdk exe, release, debug, with multisync or without.

The machine it's not working on is a 32 bit machine, running vista ultimate.

I have tested it now on another 32 bit vista home premium pc, and a 32 bit xp machine, and it works on each of them.

It wouldn't run on the 2nd vista machine at first because windows defender thinks dark gdk exe's may be a virus, and blocks them. Only after windows defender was disabled would it run.

Now what im going to test next is get my friend to disable his anti-virus (avast) and see if dark gdk exe's run.
[EDIT] tested on his with disabling avast, no difference, and putting avast on mine, didnt replicate the problem.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 13:04
Bro ... I wonder now if other people ARE having this problem or ARE NOT having this problem... because (Forgive me ApexNow) this sounds like a major show stopper.

--Jason

Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 13:16 Edited at: 16th Dec 2008 13:22
Yeah pretty much. Even if its only say 5% of your users cannot ever run your game, it means massive hassle in trying to manage orders/refunds/support, it means 5% less sales at face value on a commerical product, but when you get enough bad reviews of: "game wouldn't even start" it could hurt a lot more too. Thats not even to say its going to be 5%, could be more.

I have narrowed it down to not a dependency on VC++, .NET or Direct X runtimes, not a bad download, and not anti virus, so im stumped.

Here is the latest package if that is relevant:
http://rapidshare.com/files/173872301/RPG_Engine.zip

source files:

main.cpp:

player.h

player.cpp

cell.h

cell.cpp

RPG Engine.vcproj
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 13:20
Well.. perhaps I didn't read closely some other posts... this does seem to imply that DarkGDK is not the issue which is a relief. I was starting to get suspiscous... (spelling LOL) ... but it sounds like the "make" or something else... Meaning if it works on one non development machine - and not another... you're down to finding out what's different to get the solution.. no easy task.. nothing is

--Jason

Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 13:25
Nah, the basic dark gdk wizard projects don't run, but straight vc++ projects do, so that would seem to point at a dark gdk incompatability with this other pc wouldn't it?

Idk, now im getting a new message, something like the publisher could not be identified, do you still want to run this? Click run and then it says 'not a valid win32 application'.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 13:31
I'm pressed for time... Let me grab this thing and at least give you another "PC" result....

Yeah it still runs here.. but then I have all sorts of DarkGDK and DarkGDK.Net stuff installed... DirectX aug 2007 SDK plus the vrious .Net frameworks etc.

You are positive already these people have .Net runtimes right? Typically you need to know whaich... but I recommend just because it doesn't hurt.. installing all the .Net FRameworks... for compatibility sake... I mean generally... if someone is having a .Net program issue.. and the documentation doesn't specify... I'd just recommend grabimg .Net 1,2,3.5 and call it a day.

--Jason

Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 13:39
lol, yeah that might be a way to go, but since it works on a pc without any .net runtimes, id say its not it. Im about ready to give up and go code in xna. thanks to all who tried, the help was muchos appreciated.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 14:25
I've messed with XNA enough to know that unless you're targeting the XBOx specifically... you might have more fun using the LeadWerks Engine that I recently started looking at... frankly - I'm stupid happy about it... I didn't think I would like it... Blitz? Newton? OpenGL? But... I got to tell you... I've been pretty darn pleased I got it... its FUN for starters... I mean...

Let me fanboy a minute:

PixelPerfect said he tried and hasn't looked back... that made an impact on me because I like PixelPerfect for one and respect his skills for another... so I looked at it more seriously.

I grabbed the downloadable demo... and was impressed.. looked at the web site and it improved ALOT since my last inspection... I watched a tutorial or two.. played the "island" FPS demo... and it had some jitters.. I updated my NVidia card and they went away... smooth as silk.

I finally purchased it and had to wait for the license. So I watched tutorial after tutorial for a few hours while I waited...figured it would be a day or two.. the license came in pretty fast considering it was manually processed by Josh (author).

I wanted to see this thing run from a dev environment.. I fired up vs2008 express to match the tutorial configuration... and within an hour (most of that time resolving a linker issue that was my fault) I had "brick" textured blocks with bumpmapping... real time shadows... dropping onto a "ground surface" with speed and smoothness I didn't think newton was capable of!

Even my lovely wife who hates FPS games was enjoying the "Crysis" like appearance of the island demo and was playing in the water, shooting the metal barrels.. pushing barrels around etc.

Note - because I have the licensed version.. the island demo is even better than the demo - as there are ocean "waves" (not just shader--vertex manipulation) AND the barrels when pushed into the water float!

The thing is... I have to admit I haven't done any REAL development yet... but I've actually found it to be a joy so far and just fun to use... I haven't tried alot... but everything I tried to do or look up... I found in the docs with a search.. and was able to get it to work first try... I know that won't always be the case.. but... give it a serious look over if you are looking to change engines.

--Jason

chanchan
Years of Service
User Offline
it runs for me but only shows "0 PlayerId" text, nothing else
what's with my system?

Always learning
Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 05:21
Im not sure, It only uses basic 3d, no shaders or anything. What you are seeing is just the text overlay, normally you should also see a 3d dungeon with brick textures and lighting, and some cones to represent players. Id say you need to check your graphics card for compatability, and possibly update your drivers.
chanchan
Years of Service
User Offline
that's not the problems...

I copied resources files (dll, model, etc) to the root folder, then it works....

cool, feels like old doom game

Always learning

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 13:32:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 13:32:27