Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK Normal Map Shader

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 04:16 Edited at: 15th Dec 2008 04:23
Hi everyone.

I've just started using Dark GDK and enjoying it but seems to be slightly lacking in compatible shaders. I want to make a shader intensive FPS so purchased Dark Shader in the hope that will do the job.

In the meantime I've found a normal map shader that works quite well for character models which is called 'bumpent.fx' and comes included with FPS Creator (Files/Effectbank). You should be able to get hold of it by downloading the free trial version if you don't already own it.

For testing purposes I used the Colonel-X character which comes with Dark GDK (Tutorials/3D Objects/3D Objects) including a pre made normal map texture so you can easily test this for yourself.

Place the files 'Colonel-X.x','Col-X_1_D2.dds','col-x_n.dds' and 'bumpent.fx' in your project folder then use the following code for loading the object with shader applied.

I've attached a picture of how the model looks with diffuse texture only (left) and with normal map and bumpent shader applied (right) for comparison.

Hope this helps some people and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone thats had success with shaders or Dark Shader in Dark GDK.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
could you upload "bumpent.fx" for me, the trial version of fpsc is gone atm
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 18:53

Correct me if im wrong, but this is for bump maps and not normal maps? (difference being bump map uses monochrome to indicate height or each point, normal uses RGB to show angle of pixel)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 13:35:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 13:35:00