Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Curiosity and the Creator

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 00:54 Edited at: 16th Dec 2008 00:54
Hey guys, this is probably my first 2D piece I have put up here. I am used to doing 3D, but decided to get a wacom and see what I couldn't produce.

The story behind the image is fairly evident, but not as malignant as it may first seem.

Took me about 6 hours all up to do it in fits and starts, and I am fairly happy with the outcome, even if it was a little rushed at the end. I will go back to this (once I can be bothered) and add another light source to create some reflected light from behind the characters. Will give it a little more depth.

As it stands, however, I am happy with it. There are two flavours of image, not so large, and really large It looks rather nice on a HDTV...

C&C welcome!!

Regards,
Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 06:03 Edited at: 16th Dec 2008 06:10
nice style and subject matter

reminds me of a gepetto scene i did a couple years ago (where a sinister gepetto was crafting a sinister marionette (of me ) ... wish i still had that...)

the lighting is a little strange to me. from what i see, there should be a floor lamp about boot-high (the red boot) and about a foot "out"/toward the viewer from the work table (according to the shadow of the table's edge falling on the craftsman's smock). if this is the case, everything to the right of the red boot (the purple head/mask and cloth-y bag/box of materials) should be as bright as everything on the left (ie, the greenish critter... do they have names? .

2 other points to make:

the white-ish critter on the left... his right side has a similar texture to the wall behind it as well as a similar brownish tint . at first glance, i thought maybe he was semi-transparent. instead, i think you might angle the strokes more (vs the vertical wall strokes, maybe even a cross-hatch effect) to distinguish/cause contrast.

on the "creator's" smock, where the shadow from the table ends, you have what (at first) appeared to be a hem line. after opening the "really large" version, i see that is definitely not the case. so, work that line out of it to maintain the nice, draping flow of the smock.

it's very nice, greenlig. i could nit-pick some more, but it would be just that. nit-picking an otherwise splendid piece of work! now... where's the game that goes with this masterpiece?

btw, i fear whatever creature get's fixed with the little blue boot! i dunno why but i get the feeling there's an angry "something" waiting to go for a creep.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium
wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
I really like the style. Realism is very overrated.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 02:32
Man, you are simply a great artist.

I set this as my background image!

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 14:45
Thanks for the comments guys Validates the effort in this piece entirely.

@ Virtual Nomad - Thanks for the crits. That's what I need to go forward. I agree entirely that the lighting is fairly botched. The shadows and light sources dont match up very well, and I will address that when I get round to editing it.

@ wildbill - Thankyou I love realism, but this was such an enjoyable departure.

@ Xenocythe - thanks man, I have watched you develop on these forums for a long time, and I respect very much your opinion. Thankyou

Regards,

Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:35:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:35:04