Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / [DGDK.NET] Using Form controls?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 21:13
I'm considering buying DGDK.NET and I was wondering how well it integrates with windows form controls, like in VB?

I want to build a 3d APP with a nice front end.

Thanks in Advance,
Codemaster.

lwatson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 21:26
I personally have had decent results using a .Net picture box object as the canvas on which the DarkGDK.Net rendering engine uses to draw its magic on.

With this standard controls like buttons, grids, slider bars, labels, text boxes and what not live in the form with the 3d canvas.

See attached example

Lonnie Allen Watson
rmag.blogspot.com (blog)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RanQor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 21:29 Edited at: 16th Dec 2008 21:35
I've had success showing form controls, but you must always set the "bringtofront" method for each control you create.

I've also had issues with the controls catching keyboard events. Specifically, I havn't been able to use Tab to tab through control elements (although I'm sure I could programatically do this, would just be nice if the native tabing worked). Also, for some reason, hiting Enter in a TextField or hiting tab makes that anoying "ding" sound, I havn't been able to disable that sound.
chanchan
Years of Service
User Offline
hey, can you do these on dark gdk?
I dont understand C# or .NET

Always learning
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 02:08 Edited at: 26th Jan 2009 02:09
Yeah, just started working with DarkGDK and Windows Forms, I know C# already and have used it a lot with ASP.NET, but for the learning experience I would rather get DarkGDK down... I just need to know how well it integrates with Windows Forms, what to watch out for and such. A tut would be cool, but I don't think it's entirely necessary

Anyways, any input would be cool!

Mountain Dew, happiness in a bottle.
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 06:29 Edited at: 26th Jan 2009 06:34
Thanks Guys.

So I bought DGDK.net, and I like it a lot...

It's existed quite well with forms... With a minimal amount of effort I had a 3d object controllable with buttons and track bars. The one problem I've had though is getting input. Because DGDK uses a control to interface with the form, something gets a little iffy with the way DirectInput gets key presses. There are methods around this, but I havn't really found one that works well with the GUI.

You CAN use the forum key_down and key_up events, but they only register one key at a time.

I've posted about this problem in another thread. There are some good ideas in there.

And Sunflash! Long time no see. How goes it?

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 09:40
haha, great actually, I've been gone from the forums for so long due to school, I've been attacking all the C language derivatives and having a blast! I still lurk these forums every so often around the time a new newsletter comes out

Mountain Dew, happiness in a bottle.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 11:29
I was also playing with Winform controls and my GDK loop had only the Sync() command. Every thing else I was controlling in the form.

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 17:38:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 17:38:42