Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Can u create a non-shooting rpg or adventure game through scripting?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 01:08 Edited at: 18th Dec 2008 02:06
I see that fps creator is such an easy to use creator for games i have been always trying to find a maker so easy to use. I have been wondering if you can (by scripting), create an rpg game and replace the guns with other projectiles that aren't weapons and do it all by scripting? Please let me know if it is easily feasible or should i just use another creator. Thanks
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 06:58 Edited at: 18th Dec 2008 07:00
I believe you can. Obviously it would be from a first person perspective, which I think is cool to begin with. The scripting language is very limited but a lot of new commands have been added that will help with an RPG/Adventure. These are the type of games I write.

As far as guns (other projectiles), they cannot be scripted. They must created. I am not sure what kind of projectiles you are talking about since they are "not" weapons. Bond1 has two types of wizard-like "staffs" that can be used in a non-threatening way, although I'm not sure how since the "S" in FPS means "shooter." A lot of the player control is hard-coded into the engine. However, through the FPE script of the weapon I assume you can disable the damage part or something. I have not tried it.

Through scripting you can make the enemies behave in non-violent ways. There is a "passive" script that makes the character just stand there and kind of fidget. Also, they can walk way-points or they can be scripted to follow the player.

Have you downloaded the free version yet? That would be a good idea so you can check it out a lot closer.

One last thing, you will need to learn scripting and it is not easy to do unless you have some programming background to begin with. Also, there aren't any really, really good manuals out there although there are some manuals that would give you a good start. Check the stickies in the "Scripting" forum.

A couple of tips. Don't come right out and ask for somebody to write a whole script. Better to try it yourself and then ask for help on any details or problems you run into. Also, do a search first. I realize this board doesn't have the greatest search engine and it only searches the subject line; so if the subject line doesn't have a key word or phrase you are searching with then you won't probably find it.

Good luck with your endeavors, it is very fun for me and I'm almost 70 years old. BTW, we're not supposed to give away our ages on the forums but once you reach a certain age it doesn't seem to matter anymore.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Diablos Bud
Years of Service
User Offline
For an RPG style game, or minigame with FPSC I highly recommend Ply's Mod. It is a scripting mod that bends the limits, making it sort of like have features that would require programming, but without the hundreds of lines of code. Of course it will still require hard work to setup the scripts, but will give a more freeroam feel.

Diablosbud Productions - a name for the game's developed by me.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 04:42
Here's a video of an RPG style game made with Ply's Mod V1.07

It's still a WIP, but proves the concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_VnVwzmVxM

The one and only,

heluvsya
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you so much for all of your help!
Sylvius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 12:54
Well here are a few things to remember too:

Most fps games have melee combat in one way or another, you can edit the range of that melee weapon in order to create different styles of melee weapons.

Though most FPS's have characters running around attempting to kill you, many of them have a single player mode which has dialog and content. That being said there are non aggressive NPC's that can have dialog driven conversations, though to get them to a point that its considered a "quest" it would be alot more difficult.

Last but not least you have to consider inventory and its limitations, though you can add the coding to increase a characters given inventory, many times unless your extremely strong in editing the game your not going to get it large enough to represent that quantity that an rpg requires.

So yeah it can be done, but there are many times a ton more issues. In the end unless you are strong at scripting/coding, I usually suggest finding an engine that is more suited to your needs.

P.S. The biggest problem I have found modding an RPG from an FPS is that your character in an RPG needs to be saved level to level, zone to zone, that means advances in class/experience/inventory, this requires ALOT of scripting that the average person likely cannot do unless they have a ton of experience doing such.

Nerf paladins.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 21:27:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 21:27:26