Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / how to protect our source files from players?!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi
If it's morning there, then Good morning, if it's not, nothing!
When i want to build game i compile the project and then i build it, and when i want run execute file it needs object files and ...
so if i give my game to somebody he/she can use my objects and edit them too. What if we want to hide or protect our objects and game sources? what can we do?
regards
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 03:20
You don't have to run your game from Visual Studio. When you compile a game (release mode, please) you have an executable that doesn't need the source files. However, it will need to have your media and support files (if necessary) available. This could take the form of some zipped or packed files or a roll your own means of encrypting/decrypting.

If you're developing in C#, or virtually any .NET, environment you need to be aware that there are some readily available programs that can decompile your program into a semblance of your original source.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
study
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Lilith
when i build game i have two folders, Debug and Release, both have exe file and both needs x and dds files to run the game complete.
How do you compile and link that your exe file does not need sources? maybe i build game wrong !
I use visual Studio 2008 and C++. I don't know any ecrepting way, i think it's soon for me to completely understand your expains
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 04:39
When you compile in debug mode the compiler creates a .exe file in the debug folder. This executable has a lot of additional information in it that allows for debugging operations. It also relies on some other files in the debug directory. When you compile in release mode it creates the executable in the release folder without the necessary debugging information. In theory, if your executable doesn't rely on any external media, you can run the executable in the release folder without problem.

Bear in mind that your media location as defined in your source code isn't always based on the location of the executable until you're running the executable independently of the compiling environment. When in the IDE the media location is relative to the location of the solution folder, usually where the source code is also located.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
study
Years of Service
User Offline
anyway game has media, doesn't it? and released version needs medias too.
We want to protect medias usually too. so i think the only way is encrypting/decrypting as you said.
chanchan
Years of Service
User Offline
so, we must decrypt the media first before loading? is that what you mean???

But the dbLoadObject() and else take filename as parameter, so if you decrypt the media to some files, the end-user could read the media easily...

so, what do you suggest?

Always learning
study
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "http://www.molebox.com

All you need...
"

Thanks windowskiller, it seems usefull.
chanchan
Years of Service
User Offline