Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Wire frame colors /poly leaks

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a link that might explain what the wireframe colors mean?. (white,gray,pink,blue..etc.)
From what i can gather it does has to do with CPU and GPU.

So, What do the colors indacate, and is this the best way to find poly leaks? (to best optimize a game)

Thank you in advance.

Having Fun with what you create should be the only requirement.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2008 02:51
the colors are from the portals system which only renders the parts of the level you see(not sure why its colored).

I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
larrball
Years of Service
User Offline
(not sure why its colored).

Right dar13, and that's why i was asking.

So, What do the colors indacate?
And is this the best way to find poly leaks? (to best optimize a game)

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 00:25 Edited at: 20th Dec 2008 00:26
larrball,

Wireframe colours? Thats a very good question. Well done.

Not sure anyone knows other than Lee though we should all know the answer. It might be of help in our gamebuilding efforts.

Wireframe is certainly the best way perhaps to visually look for what could be described as leaks. Certainly it can help obviously in showing where FPSC is rendering more polygons than you might wish. You can then try to optimise however you can only do so within the flexibility and parameters of what the FPSC engine and level design capabilities and interpretation in compile will allow. Unfortuneately its rendering of world object polygons to scene view is somewhat erratic so it seems and unduely large numbers are sometimes unavoidable, unless that is of course you can work these out either by redesign of your levels or possibly in the instance of entity objects attempt to spwan them relative to player proximity. Either way or both could be helpful but may take some time to achieve and should do little harm though.......

In fact FPSC can handle quite large numbers of world object Polys if it were the case that such objects were all you required in your level, however most users would also like to include a reasonable number of Characters in their games and it is those that kill the fps quickly particularly when level designs and polys are already complex and in high number counts.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 00:58
If anyone gets a definitive answer I'll include it in the guide.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 01:03
I've noticed that objects which have a texture applied to them, but not in the FPE or properties are coloured. Check it out, place an MP3 gantry with railngs, go in wireframe, and look at the reailings, the lines are yellow...

larrball
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 01:04 Edited at: 20th Dec 2008 01:53
Thank's uman you did answer a difrent Q i had.
and nickydude that would be great.. but hold on now there...
I thought you posted somethang about no updateing it anymore.
It is a great guide..
I doin't thank i have seen this tip anywhere, but for a new person to FPSC needing a screenie. use F12 then open up your plain old windows paint. and save as a jpeg for posting in the form.
Now i know this sounds so elementary, but i would have liked to
have known this.[img]null[/img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 21:29:00
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 21:29:00