Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / And You Thought FPSC had long build times....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 07:26 Edited at: 20th Dec 2008 07:27
I just read a post from an EA artist talking about the recently rleased game Mirror's Edge. He was discussing how long the build times were when he was working on this game.

To do a test build on the game, it took 50 computers working simulatneously 25 hours to build the game! Kind of makes you appreciate FPSC a little bit more...as well as the scope and amount of money that goes into a AAA game.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 07:58
Yeah, FPSC just seems that long... lol!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 09:10 Edited at: 20th Dec 2008 09:13
I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to 'building' the game, as it wasn't created in a game maker, and the many parts of the game would have been 'built' separately. For the actual engine I seriously doubt it would take that long, even when doing a full recompile (which wouldn't happen often I'm guessing). It's more likely for any FMV in the game, if it has any. As an artist said this, I'd say it's more likely that. But even then you wouldn't re-render all the videos to do a test build, so I'm stumped.

[edit] Then again, if they had their own editor that used lightmapping and stuff, it's more likely. But still.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 09:37
Man, I remember ME, before I destroyed it, I think getting pro runner and test of faith gives me some bragging rights

*slap!*
Quiet yourself, think before posting, and maybe you won't be as ignorant as you seem.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to 'building' the game, as it wasn't created in a game maker, and the many parts of the game would have been 'built' separately"

He specifically says "build" time as in compiling it into a playable game. And yes he mentions that lightmapping is part of the process, and that they actually used 150 computers so they could do three bakes simultaneously!

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 11:14
My god...

For a big map, Source takes only a few minutes to compile it into something playable - that's with lightmapping and everything else.. One of the reasons why I notice FPSC's slowness everytime I use it (now and then).

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce the combined size to 600x120 maximum size
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 11:15
Mirrors Edge is massive though. But that long? Woah...

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 15:11
But that game is huge, and has very pretty graphics. If i could make a great game, i would wait that long no problem. I would wait a week. No problem.

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 21:53
Mirrors edge only takes a few hours to beat. I wonder how long it took to process Mass Effect lol

The Cake is a Lie!!!!
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty quickly, since the UT3 engine generates light mapping on the fly AFAIK, which is to do with the fact that it doesn't use BSP for level optimisation.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 23:20
difference is FPSC is rubbish, mirrors edge is cutting edge technology, FPSC for what it is and how crap the engine is should load faster than the high tech engines.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2008 06:37 Edited at: 21st Dec 2008 06:47
Wow, only on these forums would people take the comparison so literally, lol.

My point was that most of us here don't have a 50 computer render farm, or could ever afford an engine on the level of Mirror's Edge. And the fact we can get the results we do with FPSC, with minimal wait time by comparison, is AWESOMELY cool for an essentially free piece of software.

For many of us, FPSC represents the difference between making our very own FPS games, or not being able to at all.

Demon Air 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2008 12:40
woah that is attualy really really long and bond check your email please

FPS GAMES ARE THE BEST!!!
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh, if you're any good at coding I would personally try messing around with the Q3A source. You will however need a C++ compiler, but it is far more powerful than FPI scripting. You will also need modelling tools, of which GMAX and ms3d work excellently.

Lastly, you also need a mapping tool. This works slightly differently from FPSC as you carve your level out of blocks, but it saves the ridiculous process of having to create a whole new segment for a flat wall.

GTKradiant:

http://www.qeradiant.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi

IOquake, an improved and repackaged Q3A source:

http://ioquake3.org/

Interestingly, you may be able to use GTK to make FPSC maps, as I know you could do this with darkbasic.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 01:31
Quote: "FPI scripting"

Everything is more powerful than FPI Scripting...

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
kloperman
Years of Service
User Offline
wow i thought it took long to load a test game on my comp....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 21:30:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 21:30:16