Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / My First Sprite (Crits and Hits Please)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2008 06:28 Edited at: 21st Dec 2008 07:55
This is my first sprite I have ever made. Please share any and all hits and crits. Also this was all freehanded in Microsoft Paint and there is no head for a reason.

Original Drawing in Real Life: (Scanner messed it up)

Outlined Version:

Final Version:

Huge Version in an Engine:

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 03:52
wow idk much about sprites but thats pretty cool what did you use?
PwndGames
Years of Service
User Offline
I used Microsoft Paint, a Scanner, My Game Maker Platform Engine, and Internet Explorer.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 16:28 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2008 16:33
It's not really all that "spritey" looking. While it might be a nice first try, it's got a fair few issues that make it pretty unsuitable for a game.

Whoa it's big. Does it really need to be?
It's all one picture. If it's supposed to move/animate, you're going to have a pretty big problem. You'll want to see about splitting it up into seperate images for each moving part (limbs and such), or, in true sprite fashion, shrinking it (and probably the scale of your game) right down and manipulating it pixel by pixel.
Don't get me wrong, for a first try in Paint it's a fair effort. But otherwise it's a bit scrappy: non-symmetrical, a bit fuzzy/wobbly, a bit lop-sided (feet don't line up, like standing on an uneven surface), and overall a bit unwieldy.

I've made you a couple of new images that fix a few aesthetic issues but are otherwise consistent with your design. See what you think:

128x128px version here. Good luck.

Edit: Just noticed the original didn't have a star. oh well.

Space Shooter - DarkEye - last build of discontinued puyo
sometime December or something

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:02:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:02:21