Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Advice on City Level?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 03:04
Hi all, you guys know that I'm in production of Automatic, right? I'm in a bit of a niggle right now; I am having trouble creating a city block. I need advice on what to do, what the size should be, et cetera.

Here's some questions:

1) What should the size be? Would half of the 40x40x20 grid be too much?

2) What type of objects should I put in the city?

3) What landmarks should go into the city? (IE parks, important buildings)

4) Is it difficult to do?

Hope that these'll be answered soon.

Happy Holidays,
~Mike

CSS in-game: Curveball
Add me to Steam: Rec. Holliday [3rd RB]
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 06:25
DUDE ive been working on urbn levels for a bit now and have made some excellent onez, check out "Urban hell by Z Fletch Studios" in the showcase, there are images of the urban area in editor mode that should gine you an idea on how to make one.
btw i saw your game thread and i think its pretty good, dont worry about the whiny posts made by others and stay positive!
good luck

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 10:55
Gatin the player will be tough, especially since they have to be able to see that there's a city 'out there' and not just this one block.

I would also suggest you base your city on a real one. Most people here do American and British style cities, with lots of brick. However, if you're up for creating some custom media, you could go for something more original, like Eastern European (a la Half Life 2). It also depends on your story; if it's set in America, it's unlikely to have European-style cities.

Once you've decided on your style, make some buildings as static entities, this will save your poly-count a bit. Basically, decide which buildings the player cannot go in to and make an entity for it. A textured cube would do, especially for buildings that the player sees at a distance.

Assuming your level is set in America (and I have never been), I don't know what sort of landmarks an American city has. Generally though, the older buildings are in the middle of the city, there's usually a financial distinct with some skyscrapers and there's more and more green space, the further out you get.

Yes, it is difficult to do what you want to do!
The hardest thing is going to by making sure the framerate doesn't drop too much.

Hope that helped,
AE

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 13:41
I have played HL2 (I might get it for Christmas) before, and City 17's a great reference since Croatia (the setting of Automatic) is in Eastern Europe. I'd think it'd be more modernized due to the game being set in 2008.

Thanks, AE & gorba.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 14:38
Assuming you'll be in the centre of the city, this is where you'll have the CBD (Central business district) which will have lots of very tall buildings and very little open space. This is because land value is so high here that companies build upwards instead of outwards. Also because of the land value you'll get hardly any homes, mainly office blocks, shops etc etc.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 14:41
That's what I was thinking; the player has to reach an office while being shot by terrorists.

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 14:43
maybe try to see my doomsday rpg,i have a city

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-20% (ON HOLD)
Doomsday RPG-5%
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 14:45
I recommend not using very many segments, there are some great building s out there, there's a pack by Km Km that was pretty good...

You'll want to add large buildings outside of the area the player can access, to give the appearance that there's more than just that bit the player is in...

You'll find that all other games use these effects. oh, and chagne your skybox to the city one from...WWII I think...

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 15:15
Quote: "maybe try to see my doomsday rpg,i have a city"

No offense, but it's barely a city. Bland + nothing = mediocre, which is what your city is. Take advice from some of these guys, they know how to make a city.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 21:24
When making a city, make sure you cover all the areas the player can look. It spoils it if the player can look around a corner / over a fence and just see skybox with no floor. Cover all possible angles.

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 23:07
I agree with Nickydude, Fpsc can't make a whole city come to life like mirrors edge or gta4, but its good to make the Illusion of a full, living city. The wooden fences that come wit mp3 are great for poorer tenets and alleys, to make a more urban scenario its a little more difficult as I've come to find....

The Cake is a Lie!!!!
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 23:31
and also make a skymap with buildings in the background makes it look like a big city

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2008 05:58
you can create cities very easily in my opinion.
start from the middle or where the player starts.
make that about one buildings length from the edge.
you can start on top of buildings or on the ground.
i am doing a mirrors edge style game so i made it so you start on top of buildings.
i will use this as my demonstration.
make every building that someone will come in contact with very detailed.
dont skimp on entities just cause its slow on your computer! it will be much better when you release it.
after you make all the important buildings and interiors, start on the buildings you won't use.
you can download buildings or just make a _x_ wall that goes way up like a sky scraper.
put tons of windows.
now make the buildings that are beyond those that you can't even get to.
you can make these just walls with windows.
they look like buildings from far away.
now finally do the streets.
first the curb and streetlights(dont worry about detail if your always on top of the buildings)
after the curb, do the cars. if you have modelpack 1 than you have a humvee. if you go to the gc store you can have a free bus (its an awesome bus)
now put the bad guys
if you have a mirrors edge game, do the last two steps, but this time, instead of putting tons of stuff on the streets, fill the roofs with... ya know... roofie stuff.
i hope it helps

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 21:34:58
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 21:34:58