Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Does anyone know of a manual or in depth instuction book?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know that in the actual directory there is a great Dark GDK Information file that lists all the commands and their input parameters.

Is there some thing more in depth out there, for instance if I wanted to know the difference between iBitmap, iSprite, and iImage and how to convert between the three, where would I go to find out?

And if I wanted to understand how the screen works with the bitmaps, image files, and sprites where would I go to learn?

Many thanks,
Gravity

Thank you
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2008 00:55
start -> Program files -> DarkGDK -> Documentation -> Information

lists every command

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2008 01:36
Quote: "And if I wanted to understand how the screen works with the bitmaps, image files, and sprites where would I go to learn?"

You'd need to find a forum or tutorial on Direct X. Dark GDK is a wrapper for Direct X functions.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Gravity 404
Years of Service
User Offline
Alex. Thanks that is great file, but it does not explain what iBitmap, iImage, and iSprite are and how they are related.

Lilith. Thank you I did not know they were a wrapper class. I thought dark GDK was a library. How would I go about changing the Dark GDK Base code to suite my needs?

Thank you
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2008 17:01
Quote: "Thank you I did not know they were a wrapper class. I thought dark GDK was a library."

I didn't say they were a wrapper class, just a wrapper. They're just functions that wrap the Direct X functions. How and where Dark GDK stores the information for each sprite, I don't know. But if you dig into the header file for images you'll find some functions that can lead you, by using Direct X structures and function calls to where the image data is stored. You'd still need to use some Direct X calls to manipulate the images. I wrote an Image class that encapsulates the Dark GDK functions and added most of the bitmap functions using Direct X functions.

I suspect that the sprites that Dark GDK uses involve keeping track of the UV co-ordinates and whatever transforms and positioning is necessary. However, I couldn't begin to guess at how or where that information is stored.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
CPPP
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I also really miss a manual for Dark GDK. The help file is just a listing of function with a short and often unhelpful comment.
What I want is a real manual with a short example of use for each function.
There seems to be an uncomplete dark gdk programming wiki at
http://darkgdk.wikia.com/wiki/DarkGDK_Programming_Wiki.
But you guys already know that, right?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 13:24:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 13:24:21