Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / KaosScript v1.0 Release

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2008 05:16 Edited at: 28th Dec 2008 03:56
I put this off for quite a bit, but I got it working now. This is the third re-write. Enjoy!

KaosScript.h

KaosScript.cpp

Value names must be unique, but everything else can share names. Since that example explains the syntax, I don't need to say much more, but that it is solely line-based, so you can't have multiple statements per line, sorry.

I've thought of several uses, especially as a world saving type format. You make a block for each object in your world, and then load it.

Lines cannot be longer than 512 characters, but you can change that in KaosScript.h, the #define for MAX_LINE_LENGTH.

KaosScript is also loosely typed. Everything is a string until you cast the value. I don't know what happens if you cast a value with letters to an int or float, though. Probably turns to the ASCII values or something.

My next project is a world editor, saving to .kaos files.

Example - in my FPS's format (called Kaos, which KaosScript was made for), loads the player, a plane to stand on, and a box to push around.

This probably won't work with "vanilla" KaosScript. I mean, it will, but it won't do anything, since KaosScript is just a data formatting language. It's very flexible, though, and it's more like XML than anything (not syntatically.)
--------------------------------------------
New: C++ Usage Example
This is an excerpt from my game engine, it's not DarkGDK, but that doesn't apply to this.

"settings" is a struct containing three values indicating whether it's fullscreen or not, and the screen resolution.

Here's the relevant part of the .kaos file, "cfg/XarxesSettings.kaos".

As you can see, the block type isn't necessary. Neither is the block name, but then, how else would you find it?
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2008 10:54
Maybe its just me because Im full of x-mas food but cant you give an example on Kaos script?

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.
CPPP
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, Now it only causes chaos in my head!
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2008 09:06
Whoa, I thought I did. Ok, it'll be there now.
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 05:41

I can't get it to work in a 64-bit MSVC.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 06:31
Looks cool!

I've been thinking about doing something like this for my next game, as it really helps when you start getting into bigger projects. Nice job.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 13:32:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 13:32:42