Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Any tutorials?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone,
I am a complete noob when it comes to coding and was wondering if there are any tutorials that were suitable for me? Would the DBPro tutorials help me to get a grasp on DarkGDK? and would a C++ for beginners book also help me to get to grips on DarkGDK?

Looking forward to peoples replies.

BJKDAW
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, you should probably know c++(or get some experience in it) before you do DGDK. Since you are a "noob" to coding you should probably get down the coding basics too.

So I'd google c++ tutorials, and go from there.
bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thank you, i have found a book on amazon which has a lot of positive 5 star reviews so i think i will purchase that, that way i have a complete reference in front of me.

BJKDAW
bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, will i need to purchase the DarkBasic Pro Books to really get me started? I understand that DarkGDK is similar but i notice in some of the code i have seen that it is different in that you have to put "db" in front of commands? Does this mean it is completely different to DBPro?

P.S. yes i think i have contradicted myself there.

Hope someone can help, please.

BJKDAW
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 01:06
DarkGDK is identical to DBP, except you're programming in C++ and all the functions will have the 'db' prefix. It may help to learn some DBP basics but I don't think it'd be worth it to get a book. DBP is pretty simple, ad obviously DGDK is the same way.

bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, i actually had a look at the Documentation with all the "commands" script stuff and it does look fairly simple (to my surprise because script/code usually goes over my head), i think the only thing i need to learn is C++ and then i will be well away. Thanks again.

BJKDAW
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 01:14
You're call - I've heard mixed reviews about the book and I guess the author and tgc had some kind of fall out... I'd take the "learn the basics" of programming and C++ to get some boring (but necessaary to know how to do) starter programs going - try [href]www.cplusplus.com[/href] hit their tutorial start to finish - and DEFINATELY practice with DarkGDK while you're learning because the gfx make it much less boring... but don't try to skimp on the basics or you will be frustrated later...

--Jason

bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thank you, i actually found that website. Now you have suggested it i will definitely look more into the website. Thank you. When people suggest something or write good reviews about something it helps me to decide what to go for.

BJKDAW

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 15:20:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 15:20:12