Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Help in Signs IV. Creating Text Displays and Room Segments

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 02:38
Alright, I was told to post questions regarding Signs in this forum. I recently purchased the software, and don't know where to start. I was hoping to find some 'beginner' tutorials, but there doesn't seem to be any.

So, the question I had at the moment was how to add a simple text display in my level; such as when the player walks down a hallway, a text will pop up in the bottom center at a point that reads, "where is everybody?", or any other phrase. I got a response via email, but I don't fully understand what it's telling me to do...I am NEW to the scripting thing...so I was hoping for a more dumbed-down, step-by-step answer

Quote: "
you create or use an object that your text is attached to. For instance, you create a picture to place on a wall. Signs asks if you want to create text for it. If you do, create the text you want to show and the trigger to show it, like when the player is within 100 units. Signs will create the picture and the script to show the text. Just place the picture in your level, and the proper script will be assigned by default."

I hope someone can help me with this problem. Thanks!

-Kravenwolf
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 02:57 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 03:00
Open signs, click the button at the top (signs), when that opens don't click load, put a name in the entity box and click transparency on, make sure wall is ticked since you want it to pop up at you, then click save, when you see the box about creating a script click yes, another box will pop up. This is where you put your text. Type what you want in the blank box. make sure text script is ticked, on the right you can choose top center or bottom, choose whatever you wish. Above that you can choose for continuous play play once or play then destroy, choose whatever you want there. now click (ok) Thats it. after you play around with it for a while you'll find you can change the font, color and size of the text. Hope this helped.

Best

[href][/href]
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 03:40 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 03:47
I've attached the instruction manual available from fpsconline.com. It is included in the download of Signs IV and has a section on text. I hope Terry sees this and chimes in.

Best.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 05:16
James,

You can find the direct link to the manual here.

http://www.fpsconline.com/signsiv/signsiv.pdf

In addition it should have been installed in your Signs menu.

Please take a look at page 7 and 8 which talks about the prefab scripts. If you have additional questions after reading that section please post them here and I will do my best to answer them. Please do not hesitate to ask here or email me your questions directly.

Though, I tried to make Signs as easy as possible sometimes things are just over looked.

In a few days I'll be able to be more active and to add a few things that I have promised people I would add to Signs.

Regards,

terry
James Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 09:48
Thank you MK83 for the quick response. I tried what you explained, and it worked great. xplosys and tschwarz , thank you. I'll take a thorough look at the manual tommorow. I guess I just got ahead of myself with the new product, heh. Thanks again everyone!

-Kravenwolf
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 19:16 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 19:16
@James Kravenwolf, your very welcome.

[href][/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 21:34:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 21:34:39