Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / can a game be too scary?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 06:21
hello, i need peoples opinion, can a game be too scary? im working on a zombie survival/horror game. some of my friends came over to my house at seperate times and i let them play the demo and both of them said they didnt really want to buy the game anymore cause they said it was too scary and they didnt think they would play the game through. plz help me

P.s. one of my friends finished the demo after i forced him too and my other friend wouldnt finish it.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Codstre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 11:15
in my opinion no i dont think a game can be too scary, the scarier the better. If you could upload the demo, i could tell you if its too scary or not, even tho im really new to the forums and stuff =)

-Cody

http://faultgaming.webs.com/
Marc Steene
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 12:03
It's a matter of opinion really. If the game really is as scary as it sounds, it will definatly appeal to all the horror-heads who like the genre, but then again, it might put off someone buying the game if they like adventure games.

Free Segment Packs: V1-http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124552&b=24
V2 - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124709&b=24
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 13:33
Dude, if you can make a game that is 'too' scary using FPSC, I will bake you, and then there will be cake.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 13:36
Quote: "if you can make a game that is 'too' scary using FPSC, I will bake you, and then there will be cake.
"

I will personally dress myself as a woman and walk through my local shopping centre for all to see...
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 13:48
Some bloke in our town did that once.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 13:52
The thing about horror is it comes in only two categories; gore and atmosphere. You can have both, sure, but atmosphere is much more effective than gore (especially in a game). I think that a game can be too gory, but atmosphere is what all games strike to create (even if it's not a tense atmosphere). So no, I don't think a game can be too atmospheric, it helps to pull players in and hook them. However, games can have too much gore, to the point where it isn't even scary anymore.

I'd like to have a look at this demo too!

AE

P.S. Also, remember that your friends might not be the target audience for your game. I mean look at FEAR; it's an 18 for a reason.

Indy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Fpsc isn't a really good horror atmosphere creator. I would have to try demo before saying anything.
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 15:59
Its all based on oppinion.
But if a few of your mates did it, and They all thought it was "too scary" it could be above the average of scary-ness in scary games.

~/BennyBoy\~
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 16:29
...Avenging Eagle is 100% on target, with his breakdown.

Bring on your demo, I'd really like a chance to see your work...

Screaming Head Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 16:36
thanks guys that really helps ill try to post a demo on here soon.

Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 18:02
AE is spot on.

If you have a dead guy with blood and gore everywhere, it's really not too scary. Now if you put that same dead guy in a vent duct after you just saw your best ally die before your eyes, that would be scary.

- You know you're curious
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 18:11
I'd like to play this demo as well

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 19:07
As would I

*slap!*
Quiet yourself, think before posting, and maybe you won't be as ignorant as you seem.
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 19:09
I would also like to play this demo.

music is like candy - you throw away the rappers
Codstre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 19:12
hope to see the demo soon, love to help people and test games, my FPS that im making right now is pretty cool in my opinion, hopefully ill release a demo soon of mine =)

-Cody

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 19:22 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 19:24
Agree with AE. Gore does nothing for me (maybe it's because I've seen enough dead gory people in 'nam) and I don't feel it brings anything to the table to enhance the game or to make it scary.

I think it would be very difficult to make a scary game. It would be even more difficult using FPSC although I believe you can do it. One of my games was not a horror genre, but I had a scary scene. It even made the hair stand on end for me the first and second time I came to it. The player is in a cave. You come up to a very dark tunnel (actually pitch-black) and all of a sudden you see a glimpse of this beast (pit crawler) coming straight toward you. I used a trigger zone to make him spawn when you came at the entrance of the tunnel (he spawned in the dark) and then there was a very weak light in the middle of the tunnel that was enough to reveal him charging you and then you didn't see him until he came out in the area you were in. I was quite proud of how that turned out.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Screaming Head Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 19:41
ok i uploaded it to filefront heres the link: http://files.filefront.com/Death+After+LIfe+Demoexe/;12827003;/fileinfo.html

heres the link for the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQeHZJcuTQ

tell me if the demo works or not cause this is my first upload to filefront

plz give me coments

im srry but the demo has no storyline, but the actual game does

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 20:57
Quote: " hello, i need peoples opinion, can a game be too scary? im working on a zombie survival/horror game. some of my friends came over to my house at seperate times and i let them play the demo and both of them said they didnt really want to buy the game anymore cause they said it was too scary and they didnt think they would play the game through. plz help me

P.s. one of my friends finished the demo after i forced him too and my other friend wouldnt finish it."

Sorry, but no game in FPSC can be "too scary". Making a game truly terrifying takes incredible game design skills. Excluding my early childhood, the only game that's ever creeped me out is Condemned at that was made by a professional developer, so I wouldn't worry about yours being too scary. If you want, you could get more people from the forums and such to playtest it. If about ten people play it and give reasonable feedback as to whether or not it's scary, that should give you a good idea of where you stand.

This is a signature.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 21:07 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 21:08
Ummmm well, I played it and I'm going to assume that your friends are no older than 11 lol. It was better than I thought it would be because you've only been around for two weeks. But it was FAR from scary.

One thing you should think about is putting in light sources. You have lighting in your level but where is it coming from?

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 23:04 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 23:33
Quote: "can a game be too scary?"

That depends on the user, but the short answer is no.

No, games are not scary to people who separate fantasy from real life.
However, some children may say yes because they are still afraid of the dark.
So, like I said, it depends on the user.

Quote: "One of my games was not a horror genre, but I had a scary scene. It even made the hair stand on end for me the first and second time I came to it. The player is in a cave. You come up to a very dark tunnel (actually pitch-black) and all of a sudden you see a glimpse of this beast (pit crawler) coming straight toward you. I used a trigger zone to make him spawn when you came at the entrance of the tunnel (he spawned in the dark) and then there was a very weak light in the middle of the tunnel that was enough to reveal him charging you and then you didn't see him until he came out in the area you were in."

I think it is scarier when you can't see what is there or where its at.
The unknown is the scariest thing of all to most people. (that's why they are afraid of the dark)
The only game that ever made my neck hairs stand up was a zombie game that had a dark hallway and you could hear the growls of zombies getting closer but you couldn't see which way they were coming from.
It wasn't really as scary for me as it was an adrenaline rush (no fear), but it did have me on the edge of my seat.

Quote: "Sorry, but no game in FPSC can be "too scary"."

I agree.
However, I think you could have it sick enough (psychological thriller) to make most people find it a bit disturbing.
The movie Hostel creeped me out, especially after finding out that it was inspired by real events.
If the users have nightmares, then we have done our job as horror enthusiasts. mwuhahahahaha
No, hostel creeped me out but no nightmares.
I do not have nightmares anymore.

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 00:21
In my opinion, no game can be too scary. I play horror games because either

A) I want to blow a zombies face off, and say "Aw sick! That was sweet!"

or

B) I want to be scared, and have that adrenaline rush.

Doom 3 scared the hell out of me with that creepy dark enviroment, the sound effects and the atmosphere in general. Despite that, I could not stop playing it. But I never beat the game, cuz I sold my xbox and games when I got a 360.

*slap!*
Quiet yourself, think before posting, and maybe you won't be as ignorant as you seem.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 00:29 Edited at: 1st Jan 2009 00:30
The only time I think a game could be too scary is if it were made in virtual reality, to the point where you can't tell the difference between the game and reality. I mean, some of the horror games nowadays aren't too scary, but if I could feel the air moving around my body, smell the rank stench of a nearby rotting corpse, feel the rumble of a distant thundering howl flowing through my gut, and actually BELIEVE at a subconscious level that this has to be real because all 5 senses are telling me so.... I think people could seriously die of heart attacks playing those. I mean..... imagine actually being in Doom3. Walking around with no one to accompany you, left to your thoughts of what's around the next corner, only to find a broken door and the only alternate route is through a bathroom that has pools of blood on the floor, blood splattered on the wall and as you slowly creep around the corner to go in you hear a sudden growl echoing throughout the chamber. Before you have time to think about where it's coming from, a large gruesome figure appears out of the dark staring at you, mouth wide open, fangs glistening in the pale flickering flourescent light, it's claws trailing behind a stream of fresh blood from the previous kill and before a thought could even cross your mind about what to do it LEAPS AT YOU AND -- *sound of heart monitor flatlining*

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 00:31
That would probably be the most fun EVER for me, until the part about instant-death-heart-attack-of-doom-(3)-ness.

*slap!*
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 00:32
Lol, yeah, I think in a situation like that, I'd probably look more like Luigi wandering around the haunted mansion.... except I already know that my partner's dead and I'm really just there to die, too.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 00:41
I say these things only 'till I soil myself... I think that's when it's gone too far

*slap!*
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 00:47
Well, on the subject of Doom 3, I scared the piss outta my friend while he was playing that.

He was over at my house and I had my new computer set up in the living room of our basement. And that room is BIG... and he, like you, enjoys scaring the crap outta himself, so he had the lights turned off. Meanwhile, I'm in my room and found something I wanted to show him, so I go out there to see him sitting in a little aura of light coming from the monitor..... ohhhhhh the evil thoughts that ran through my mind. So, I stepped ever so quickly up behind him, and, to be somewhat nice, I simply lowed my head down next to his and watched as he played seeing if he'd notice, then a part came where it was completely obvious something was going to jump out at him.... the moment was perfect... as the thing jumped out of the darkness at him, I screamed and grabbed his shoulders! OMG, he flew out of the chair with awesome hangtime.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 00:50
Bully lol, I tried playing FEAR in the dark, not that scary

*slap!*
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 00:56
I play all the horror games in the dark. It only makes sense.

IMHO, getting startled by something happening suddenly is what makes people jump... but they jump higher if the suspense is built up properly for it.

You know a horror game has good atmosphere when players are jumping at a rock falling over behind them or their own shadow on the wall.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 00:59
In rainbow six vegas I shot at my shadow thinking it was an enemy. I love sneaking up on people. It's fun doing it to snipers on live. This one guy on bad company was trying to laser designate a tank, and I walk right up in fronta him and stabbed him.

Oops, hijacked the thread

*slap!*
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 01:19 Edited at: 1st Jan 2009 01:28
Quote: "You know a horror game has good atmosphere when players are jumping at a rock falling over behind them or their own shadow on the wall. "

If anyone has played Requiem: Avenging Angel, when the game first starts and you're in hell, now that is atmosphere. Not even the graphics, because they're not that good, but the music and whispers are awesome. Really nice to play in the dark.

Even the old DOS game Heretic, or it may have been Hexen, had a great scary atmosphere. Things that appeared out of nowhere, scary sounds and creepy music.... I love it when they build up the tempo and then don't do anything. Just when you think it's ok again, they get you with that scream or ghost in your face!

Your game had some good moments, but it was not really scary. Most everything was expected with the exception of a well placed scream and some good models and animations by bond1. Not a bad play though. I enjoyed it.

Best.

Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 13:53
personally I love playing horror games specially alone at night with the headphones on..
but is really scary sth like The Suffering or Resident Evil scary?

why don't u post ur demo so we can try it out?
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 16:30
he posted the link to it in the earlier posts.

I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 16:46 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2009 16:53
see I usally would've read to check but I guess lazyness is my new year's resolution

TY btw

[url=http://Bibo4PC.dragonadopters.com/dragon_10578]
~Level my Dragon!~[/url]
Best Wishes..
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 21:02
What is scary and what is shocking are two very different things, Scary is where you dread going any further or can't play anymore, Shocking is when you jump out of your seat when you hear a loud noise and a scary image. I think a game can be too scary, but only if as the player you have very little control over whats going on. Like in RE4 you could buy a Rocket Launcher anytime and kill an enemy, but in Condemned you were stuck with whatever was around and Firearms you couldn't reload.

Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 21:32 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2009 16:47
well I just played the demo and to be honest it wasn't scary even with fps u can make a terrifying game with good directing, here are a couple of basic ideas (I thought i'd find a lot in ur game but I didn't)

- EDITED - IDEAS Removed :s

Best Wishes..
Codstre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2009 23:13 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2009 02:50
downloading the demo now, ill edit this post after im done playing the demo

EDIT: the demo was really cool, i didnt like how it was so dark that you couldnt see the enimies, if you have it set up like that, only put a few enemies or one enemy at a time, i died like 2 times cause i couldnt see the 2 big enemies that dropped my health in like 10 sec. Overall it was nice, it wasnt scary (in my opinion nothing is really that scary), but it would make a really good horror game.

-Cody

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 00:14
A great one that a FEAR game did is to make the player walk down a corridor, and the lights turn off, then they come back on, and you're in a completely different corrridor, surrounding by monsters...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think games can be scary. Notice, if you play GTA IV or any GTA game, you can shoot people in the head and watch blood and gore shoot out, and not thing twice, but yet if you see that in a movie, or on a street corner, you are more deeply affected.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 02:56
That's because the shot is often composed in such a way as to make you feel emotive. If they did that with every guy you killed on GTA, it'd get annoying after a while...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Screaming Head Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 03:17
thank you guys, your critism, suggetions, and comments are greatly appreciated.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 21:24:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 21:24:51