Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] In my opinion what FPSC is and isn't - I hope I save people some time

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

First off, this isn't a rant at TGC or FPSC (far from it) and I know I don't know all about TGC or business, I just thought, after having FPSC for a year and a half I'd try and save people some time.

A lot of people are into making games, and, like almost anything, the easy route is often very, VERY tempting. Unfortunately, fast and easy, FPSC is not. FPSC is not the ultimate user-friendly guide for game making (even on an amateur scale) unlike TGC claim. I'm not slating them, business-wise it makes a lot of sense to advertise their product as such, and technically, it is 'game making' software. But, it is not a proper tool. Its design renders it full of holes (I don't just mean bugs). Imagine a car, that although slow, drives perfectly fine. Now imagine a car that is slow but you have to jump start it yourself because the ignition doesn't work - that is FPSC.

The fact of the matter is FPSC is just not a real game making tool. If it were it would have a solid base of features, that will allow each person to implement their ideas into games, that work flat out almost EVERY time. I don't mean graphics, I mean things like import of your own resources that can be done within FPSC, not in entity maker (which isn't very user friendly).

And yes the truth is if you want 'a professional engine go to a company that sells one, stop complaining about FPSC' but I'm not, this is just a friendly warning to those who haven't understood yet, that if you want to make games that really work, don't invest in FPSC, at least not yet.

In the end, it does have great potential, but it isn't being nurtured for whatever reason. Until it does FPSC probably never be a 'great' piece of game making software.

Just my opinion.

What do you think?

Thanks
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 23:42
Patrick, I'm locking this, not because you've done anything wrong, it's because we all know this will end up a slanging / flaming match about FPSC and TGC and "how they don't listen.." and "They false advertised because FPSC didn't have <whatever> when they said it would...", blah, blah.

Sorry Patrick, absolutely noting against you you understand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 21:30:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 21:30:11