Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Even we aren't safe from pirates...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 19:45 Edited at: 6th Jan 2009 19:53
@Quantum Fusion: I agree completely.

The reason most people don't have Linux is the same reason why people don't mess with the wiring in our houses or install their own central heating.

People see the risks as being too great. Think about it. I'm Mr. John Normalberry and I've just brought a shiny new computer with Windows Vista installed on it. I like Vista because it's functional and it never crashes (hypothetically).

When my friend, Mr Ned Neighboursmith suggests that I download Linux, I calmly agree with him and then when he's gone I dismiss the idea because a) it's too difficult b)If I install it and it goes wrong, my warranty won't cover a repair and c)I just spent money buying a computer with Windows Vista on it. If I uninstall Vista, that's turned out to be a great waste of money (we're assuming that Mr Normalberry doesn't want to dual boot)

So at the end of the day, our friend Johnny is going to stick with his Vista PC because he knows that he has Microsoft's dedicated and hardworking support team on standby, a nice warranty from Normalton PC Planet, and if it does break down and causes damage to his computer, he can sue the b'jesus out of Microsoft. That's why Microsoft is a captain of it's industries (apart from one of them) and Linux is still operating out of a garage. (I'm sure Linux doesn't really operate out of a garage but you get my point)

Of course nowadays Linux is as safe to install and as stable as the ground we stand on - unless you live on a faultline. But some people still see it as a risk and if people were to understand that, open source would take a great leap into being the future.

It's like two storey houses. I bet the first people to build houses with more than one storey thought it was a huge risk because the floor and ceiling could fall down and every possession they had would be ruined. And more often than not it did. But with Linux, the ceiling isn't going to fall down.

[center]
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 19:49
Quote: "It was great, everyone I knew instantly had the internet access in their homes. Then 2 years went by, they changed their minds, you now have to pay $25 per year .... with time it became $4 a month, and then $29 a month. The access was the same, nothing changed except the price."

Now I've had the opposite, when I first got the internet I was paying £25 per month for 650k speed, this has gone up in steps and is now 4mb but the price has stayed the same, shortly it is supposed to go up to 10mb, hope the price stays!

Marc Steene
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 20:48
Intresting discussion, I didn't really think the thread would be this popular. Both sides have good arguments, but it will always be an open-ended matter, like a lot of things.

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Piracy Discussion Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142774&b=21
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Piracy is always interesting to talk about.

I am a personal Linux fan, but either way, open source is something that isn't as well known as many would like it to be. Why not? Because the paid software we have (you're so called "spyware"), works fine, and most of us are happy with it. That is why when people try to push open source on me, I don't like it. Nearly all of use got used to using things such as Microsoft Office when in school, and it works, so we are accustomed to using it. Then you have someone who likes a program like OpenOffice coming in, trying to convert people to use it. Just like religion, nobody wants to be preached to. Open source is never going to lift off like many want it to. People are used to Windows, but if PC's came pre-installed with Linux, people would be more interested in that, in fact, many companies such as Dell (crappy PC's) are starting to offer computers with Linux. I use Ubuntu, and if it was not for FPS Creator and other programs I like that will not run under WINE, I would be more than happy to ditch Windows, but unfortunately Windows is still the leading standard for gaming.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 21:52
Quote: "Just like religion, nobody wants to be preached to. Open source is never going to lift off like many want it to. People are used to Windows, but if PC's came pre-installed with Linux,"

Exactly. Linux is a sort of acquired taste at the moment which the layperson is happy to live without. It'd be a bit like serving every pizza from Dominoes (or whatever the US equivalent is) with caviar, quails eggs and sea erchin on them.

[center]
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:39
@TGPEG,
Quote: "What we could really do with is something like Steam for FPSC users to release their games on. If only."

Well, there is GameXS. It's essentially exactly what that is. And it's just about ready for release. Just need some more funding and then we'll move to the new webhost which will be able to host the bandwidth and space that GameXS requires. It will have the game store, just like Steam, but it'll also have models and media to buy/download. And achievements and other stuff which can be found on Gunn3r Games which doesn't really apply to this topic. Point is, it is being made, and it's almost ready. There is something like Steam for FPSC users to release their games on.

Gunn3r Games
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:45
I'll definetly being using that. Who's making it?

Kola
Semi-covert ops in north Russia
TBA 2009
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:46
Me and Xyzz1233.

Gunn3r Games
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds great! It will put a big nice dent into piracy, but unfortunately, it will simply just slow down piracy. People will simply make emulators to emulate a connection to the TGC website, then you also have to worry about offline users. I'm not sure how they will handle it, but ok. Maybe, embed a code in updates that will check on serials for a black list, and if your serial is on the black list they will not allow you to run/compile games. Of course, somebody could choose not to install updates, but then their games will be buggy.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:54
Well, Gunn3r and Xyzz1233, that's absolutely wonderful. If you need any help testing or whatever, I'll be glad to oblige.

Best. (sorry xplosys)

[center]
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 01:49
Quote: "Best. (sorry xplosys)"

LOL. It took me a minute to get that. And I hope people know that it means "Best wishes" or "All the best" and not "I'm the best".

Best.

Marc Steene
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 12:37
bump

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 14:52
What exactly are you bumping for?

Marc Steene
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 14:59
No idea (Bump lol)

muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "On a side note:
I prefer the term Buccaneer, but it is harder to remember how to spell. "

I prefer Freebooter!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 23:21:17
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 23:21:17