Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Error 6 from terrain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This might seem pretty random, but I'll make it brief as possible.

My program works fine usually, but recently I have been making a client program in c# and I launch the .exe file from that program.

I get an Error 6 and it crashes.

On further investigation I found that turning off the terrain fixes the problem. I know that people have had Error 6 from terrain loading problems but does anyone know specifically what might be causing this? Or how I could fix it?

I find it mind boggling that there would be any difference in launching the app normally to launching from another program :S
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 23:49
I *think* that is caused by the command not being able to find/load your image.

Quote: "I find it mind boggling that there would be any difference in launching the app normally to launching from another program"

You do?
How about if the program is no longer running in the correct directory to allow it to find your heightmap? You can't just execute the program - you need to cd into the directory and run the program.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 01:13
or heightmaps not 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048... (higher can work but I found to doggy)

I think the textures need to be even numbered also... maybe 2's compliment like heightmaps - I forget...

I always refer to code I have the does the terrain ok - (like my over plugged DarkGDK OOP lib which has a demo with advanced terrain as I call it still... basically its REALLY "Native" GDK terrain at this point... )

I hate that error - just STOPS - ERROR 6 - I wish it said ALOT MORE

--Jason

Alfie
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again Jason. I always appreciate your response Actually all my textures are power of 2 (I work as an artist in a game company actually, It's the programming I'm not professional at)

You were right IanM! Thanks.
I tried to check what you were talking about by putting the program in the same directory, but didn't realise that c# doesn't work like C++ and doesn't set the default folder to the base folder when debugging. Actually I also didn't even think that the default directory wouldn't be reset when it was being launched from another app *-_-*
On another note I am stoked to have fixed the problem xD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 15:15:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 15:15:31