Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Which is better to start on FPS Creator X10 or older?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Today i stumbled upon this amazing software which i knew little of.
i want to start experimenting on it immediately hehe. which is better to start on? the new one (but has less compatibility to the model packs available) or the new one (X10)

What does the new version offer?
what are their pro's and cons of each?

Thanks

Thanks
Marc Steene
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 14:08
If you can run X10, I would personally choose that. It's better than X9 in almost every way (with the exception of headshots and multiple textures). The interface for both programs is pretty much identical, but when the migration comes none of this will matter anyway.

Migration Discussion Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Piracy Discussion Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142774&b=21
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 14:30
Well, This is for sure

x9 = Support
x10 = No(t much) support

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 16:10
Quote: "which is better to start on? the new one (but has less compatibility to the model packs available) or the new one (X10)"

Lol I'm going to rephrase what you just asked in my own words....

What's better, the new one or the new one?

Anyways, I've never used X10 but it looks pretty sweet. They're both really cheap so I honestly recommend getting both.

Purple Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah i Bought the old version for now, to experiment with the packs and stuff

soon enough il upgrade to the new version

suppose the new version has better graphics rendering right?

Thanks
dumpus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 16:32
I'd say X9. Yes, X10 has better graphics, but it can only use a few of the model packs (so far), and does not have near as much support as X9. You can run X9 on XP and Vista too, so a lot more people can play your games - not just people with Vista.

There are advantages to X10, though...like the built in water, bloom, and other effects.

*This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.*
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 17:28
I would say X9. X10 has many great new features, but if you make a game in X10 you restrict the computers that can play your game to only people with vista and graphics cards that support x10, and even if it supports x10 it doesn't run at a decent fps on many of them, at the minute anyway.

FireBASIC - The Heart of Great Programming - http://firebasic.ablazegaming.co.uk
Purple Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
If i Own both Versions, would i be able to load the older version games. in order to provide the same game in both versions. so that people with Vista and higher specs, can have a better experiance.

lol im talking as if im a game developer already... lol i only created one small beginners game but im really happy

Thanks for your response guys

Thanks
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I would go with classic (x9), it's more supported, not to mention they're still multiple bugs with x10, not to mention not as many have x10 supporting graphics card, and many stay away from Vista all together. x9 works (slowly) on integrated 64mb graphics cards (what I used to have before I upgraded), but if you attempted to run an x10 game, it would crash.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 22:31 Edited at: 7th Jan 2009 22:31
I recommend keeping x9 and wait for the X10 Migration, as FPSC X10 will be pretty obsolete by then (what's the point in releasing it?).

Kola
Semi-covert ops in north Russia
TBA 2009
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Good question...but how will x10 be obsolete?
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 23:01
Obsolete is a bit of an exaggeration.

I wholeheartedly reccomend X9. My experience of X10 was a bad one, bugs galore, incompatibility, AI STILL walking into walls etc.

[center]
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 23:57
Before you buy the new version(X10) read the minimum requirements. You dont want to be stuck with a program that you can't use...

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 00:03
...and wondering what could've been.

$50 for x9 + a model pack for $20. That or blow $70 on a product for a PC not many have/use?

Kola
TBA 2009
Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 02:42
Quote: "...and wondering what could've been.

$50 for x9 + a model pack for $20. That or blow $70 on a product for a PC not many have/use?"

Or, if you get the special special discount that not many know about because it's only available by going to a camp, $35 for X9 + $20 for a model pack.

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2009 03:12
Pretty nice deal.

Kola
TBA 2009
Purple Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
You are all right. one should always check the system requirements before buying a software

I can hardly belive that X10 would become obsulete, maybe a little ohased out, due to the fact that x9 have better compatability and is more stable than the new one (for now) Not to mention the vista restriction sucks!

Thanks for your response

Thanks
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 23:27
Ok I think this thread is due for an update.

Quote: "Today i stumbled upon this amazing software which i knew little of."

You stumbled upon the best game engine in the world.

Quote: "It's better than X9 in almost every way (with the exception of headshots and multiple textures)"

X10 now supports multiple textures and will support headshots after migration.

Quote: "x10 = No(t much) support"

Get dowloading the v109 beta. It fixes a lot of bugs, especially for ATI users.

Quote: "X10 has better graphics, but it can only use a few of the model packs (so far), and does not have near as much support as X9"

The finished v109 will support all model packs. Many are now supported.

Quote: "X10 has many great new features, but if you make a game in X10 you restrict the computers that can play your game to only people with vista"

X10 is being updated so built games can be played on XP / DX9 but without all of the effects.

Quote: "If i Own both Versions, would i be able to load the older version games. in order to provide the same game in both versions. so that people with Vista and higher specs, can have a better experiance."

FPSC X9 games work on Vista no problems.

Quote: "I would go with classic (x9), it's more supported, not to mention they're still multiple bugs with x10, not to mention not as many have x10 supporting graphics card, and many stay away from Vista all together"

Then they should try googling 'dual booting' and entry level DX10 cards for around $60.

Quote: "I recommend keeping x9 and wait for the X10 Migration, as FPSC X10 will be pretty obsolete by then (what's the point in releasing it?)"

I had to take a deep breath after reading that one. FPSC X10 obsolete! so where does that leave X9 then?. At what point in time do you see 50 enemies on screen being possible in X9 with no lag?. Did full scene environment shaders get implemented into X9 already? LOL. Etc

I think some of you need to go back and read whats actually been confirmed for X9 in the migration because it aint gona be X10.
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "by going to a camp"

lol, that camp probably costs more than 50 dollars.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Nomad Soul, I love how you claim that ALL these things will be fixed in 1 version, they might be, but why bother posting if it's in the distant future anyway?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 17:16
Here's my thoughts. If you have VISTA then you can get x10. If you have XP, then you will have to get x9. However, there are very few people who have VISTA. That means that whatever you program using x10 will have a limited amount of available users; unless all of your friends do have VISTA as well or, if you plan on just making games for yourself. Main reason: learning and having fun at the same time. However, if you want your friends to play your games and you know they don't have VISTA (or some do and some don't) you might want to start out with x9.

Granted, x10 is awesome, but I am putting off going that route until everyone I know personally has updated to VISTA. From what I have heard VISTA is on its way out and will be replaced sometime in the very near future. The new version of MSOS will also allow for x10 and I certainly hope x9 as well.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I took part in a Beta test for Windows 7 Beta, and I must say I was impressed by it. WAY faster than Vista, nicer looking too. I would just wait for Vista if I were you.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 00:16
Quote: "Nomad Soul, I love how you claim that ALL these things will be fixed in 1 version, they might be, but why bother posting if it's in the distant future anyway?"

Just trust me ok crispex. Trust me.

Thanks for your and Flatlanders information on Windows 7. I'm downloading the beta now to give it a try.

The important thing is we continue to support TGC in anyway we can with FPSC X9 and X10.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
You probably do not want to make Windows 7 Beta your official OS, so I suggest you duel partition or use it on another PC.

Purple Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
windows 7 beta is the best it's much better in gaming than vista.. runs with amazingly less background resources and processes. definitely recommend it

Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 23:21:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 23:21:20