Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Fpsc and Sketchup

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 04:57
I had a crazy thought. After I looked at Umans load and unload objects on the fly, found here, http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=73014&b=23, I began to think of a way to use this efficiently. My levels are made up of very large rooms connected by long hallways.

What if you could reload the room into sketchup and export all as one big .X. Then when walking down the halls, the entire room behind the player unloads seriously improving the framerate. I began doing this, but it take way to long to position all the pieces in sketchup. Anyone tried this before? Is there an easier way?

And btw, doing this can let you modify the whole room to a great extent adding new pieces. Making games less "stock Models" and square....

I'm a Twisted Fire Starter...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 05:02
Its been done before...like...alot. And more ...

"Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..." - Game Maker
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 05:19
ok.... Where? Can you point me to a topic that has been posted about this already?

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 14:14 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 14:15
In your idea you'd have to have it either dynamic(can have multiple UV maps) or static(one UV map). Dynamic would have collision problems and static is affected by light sources like segments are. So there are multiple things you can do to make this work but the one UV map just can't be big enough to do the entire room and if you choose to use multiple UV maps then the collision and lighting will stink.
-EDIT- It would have to be dynamic because it uses scripts to "load" and "unload".

I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
this could work, nice method thanks, i am gonna experiment a little with this

Red Eye - The Game: Work In Progress - W.I.P.
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 20:39
Yes. It would have to be dynamic, and as for collision issues, in the rooms I have RE-created, there hasn't been any issues collision wise between me or the enemies.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2009 00:08
hmm...whenever i made something like this the collision went screwy.

I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2009 03:01 Edited at: 13th Jan 2009 03:01
Irrespective of the use of Sketchup or not, any method you can find to remove unwanted entities can potentially save unecessary polygons being drawn.

One important way it can help is by removing polygons from areas FPSC draws them when the player is nowhere near them or when they are not part of the scene to view often in a part of the level the opposite side of a level to the player or already in an area the player has already gone past in a linear gameplay fashion and so there can be many instances where polys could be removed.

Dont forget that FPSC can unecessarily draw polys of segments as well as entities in this way as part of its compile process somewhat erronously or perhaps not but in any case they are often of no value being nowhere in camera view.

Thus one can even convert some world object segments to entities and Load and Unload them. Looking in wireframe in editor 3D view will show you if FPSC is creating segments far away from player out of sight eating away at fps. If you can convert any to decoration as entities instead you can force their removal when FPSC may otherwise draw them.

Dont forget there is a Law of diminishing returns here to consider. You can save fps up to a point until the strain on the engine of having to track what it has to do in loading and unloading and actually doing it on the fly will balance out any benefit.

Finally you can optimise and save fps, however unless you can successfully do it with Characters and other Dynamic AI entities you wont save maximum fps - their AI burden quickly kills fps much more quickly than large numbers of polys do.

FPSC is considerably less efficient in handling AI entities now as far as I can tell than it was when I created the Load and Unload Entities on the Fly scripts and removing them wherever possible when not needed is now more vital than ever.

Examples of things you can successfully remove apart from Characters are, Barrels, Boxes, Crates, Grills, Caves, steel roof girders and almost any kind of decoration and even parts of buildings or whole chunks of a level if you do so carefully.

Optimising. Its time consuming to do. Is it worth it?

Thats for others to decide.

Maybe one day when FPSC is more stable in areas of concern where fps is unduely influenced by its own circumstances, then such a feature as Loading and Unloading of Game objects of many kinds could be successfuly used to fully give back maximum fps to users during gameplay even when large numbers of AI entities are present to view. Then it would be worth developing the potential further.

This time next year perhaps.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2009 04:47
Uman you are correct. There is a point where you cant get better. We can only hope for the migration to fix this...

Just a thought here. When I can, I'll test this. I noticed that floor segments are made up of triangles, not squares when in wireframe. This could also seriously improve the framerate in fpsc if these extra polys are removed.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2009 22:20
That's because the .x files are triangulated Apple Slicer. You can modify the .x file and see if FPSC can handle quads but I doubt it.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2009 03:40
Im sure they do because I have imported models with quad-polygins. hmm...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 23:23:08
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 23:23:08