Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / bit miffed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
so I've been playing around with Dark gdk.Net and I can honestly say I'm not impressed with the documentation. For those who have never used dark basic before it ships with a tutorial to view a cube! WOW!!!!!!! watch out EA games I can show a cube on the screen lol

Very poor. I would never dream of shipping a product with help files in this state. Even the forums have very little in the way of DGDK.Net stuff.

the worst of it all is I bought it when it first came out (version v1.0.9.0) so getting my money back is not possible now!

If anybody is here trying to scope out whether or not to buy it.... I'd say go get XNA, at least you know with MS you'll get decent documentation and code samples and a forum that actually has info on the product you have bought!!!!!!!!!!
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2009 06:00
Yeah the DarkGDK.Net stuff is pretty light on the tutorials. There are 6 of them (including a few legacy ones), but they don't cover a ton of stuff, I think. The CHM help file is pretty good, though what is wrong with that?

DBPro didn't come with many tutorials, either. In fact when I bought it, it came with ONE in the manual.

I think DarkGDK.Net was written by one person. If you're expecting the level of community support of XNA who has thousands of users and countless developers... well, you're just going to get disappointed.

Forums don't have much because I don't think a ton of people have gotten DarkGDK.Net yet, it just came out. There are a few power users who are saavy with it already but they don't always answer every question in a timely manner. They're not paid for support, they're users just like you and me.

Sorry your 2 previous questions went unanswered so far but sometimes it's good to learn by just writing lots of code and trying out new things. Another approach to your dilemma is to just plod forward with your project and learn as much as you can about the framework. Pretty soon you'll be a power user, who can help other users when they complain about the lack of tutorials.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 15:17:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 15:17:40