Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Why does it have to build portals?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm tired of waiting about 30 minutes to test my level, and it's just sitting there saying: Building portals... There are no portals in my level, what is this all about?
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 05:44
I don't believe FPSC is referring to "Portals" as in a transporter, but "Portals" as in what defines whats visible in the game.

portal rendering is an algorithm for visibility determination in 3D applications, and I assume that's what FPSC is talking about, not transporters.

http://www.fpsc.seqoiagames.com
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 06:04
Quote: "what is this all about?"

It's so the boards don't get bogged down with posts about "Why does my game lag???"

"Portals" is a term used to describe a technique in where, based on the player's current position, certain parts of the level will be rendered and other parts won't be rendered. This saves a lot of processing power during render time and prevents a lot of lag.

Just be thankful.

The one and only,

gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 07:05
Quote: "It's so the boards don't get bogged down with posts about "Why does my game lag???""

well we still see a lot of those but...

anyway

obviously FPSC knows what its doing when it builds test levels so don't worry, be happy!

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]
Programador hispano
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 03:09
If you are running windows vista, switch the compatibility to windows xp sp2 and run it as administrator also. I had the same problem the first few times I ran the software, I had to wait like 8 to 10 minutes to build a game, now I only wait like 30 to 45 seconds.

...........(o o)........
--oooO--(_)--Oooo---
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 15:00
If you have a problem like this, and it hasn't crashed (does it finish?), then it could be your level design.

For portals to be built effectively, you need enclosed spaces. Have you got ceilings on your rooms? Have you got rooms even, or just one huge space? How about doors? If you don't want doors, then consider adding obstructions to the line of sight to help the portal mechanism to work effectively.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 23:21:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 23:21:20