Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / What next?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 07:56
Ok, I have been developing my 2D top down MMORPG for 2 days now. So far I have a basic GUI handler class (only buttons so far), and a hard coded 3D array map creation method with multiple layers.

Its all working good and I even testing a mini main menu that loads into a map. Its all working pretty fast and efficient. But the problem is, aside from a player class, what else. I know there is tons to do, but what do you guys usually add from the get go? What do you suggest? Any cool features or methods of efficiency you could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 14:27
I always add the most difficult things first, that way I won't run into them and give up once I've already done everything else. For instance I have a hard time AI, so I might add NPCs next. And then of course you say this is going to be online, so I'd say add the online capabilities asap, as those could give you some trouble.

Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 20:33
I'm working on my console-based server application before I start on the client, since the server is probably my best field. I save the most frustration for last, because I have more motivation from completing earlier, easier tasks.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 22:16
That's funny - you guys just demonstrated that each person has their own methods that work best for them.

I think tehg00n just needs to find his/hers. Well.. if so far adding small bits at a time are working for ya, tehg00n, than keep at it... though MMORPG might be a bit much for any new coder... give it your best shot!

--Jason

SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 00:03
Lmao, guys, this is me. Tehg00n = SushiBox, I just forgot my old login for so long. Thats why I'm back all the sudden :/ So no, not a new coder.

www.Helios-Online.net
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 02:00
Why didnt you just use the forgot password function?

SushiBox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 04:39
Well I have like 4 different emails and 4 different passwords. I host all my emails myself on my own email server.

But anyway, I guess I'm going to code up a nice player class and do some NPC AI then start messing around with the server and MySQL. I was just wondering how other people went about coding a project. I'm the first one to admit, there is always room for improvement!

www.Helios-Online.net
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 05:30
Well I never made a MMORPG, Or an RPG for that matter... so I don't know.

I personally try to just break things down into manageable pieces, make frame works that can grow... I can edit, and move on...

trying to get a symphony of gears and cogs that churn ambiable - hopefully equating to an eventual "engine" to bring my ideas to life...

... but I'm on the same journey as many of you and I don't have all the answers but I can say it gets better... and worse... and better.... etc so hang in and watch the creme rise to the top!

--Jason

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 15:35:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 15:35:06