Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Bits of my level disappear randomly

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 17:44
Ok, so I've suddenly discovered this problem where bits of my level randomly disappear at a certain point. What bits disappear depends on where the player is standing and what way he is looking. It's strange because it only happens in one particular room (a large one to be precise, though not the only large one).

Here's some pics of what I'm seeing:

The room is a 5x5x6 segment room with 5 dynamic lights set to go out when the player reaches a certain point. I'm thinking the problem is to do with the lights, though I am using other similar dynamic lights during the level.

My specs:
Pentium D 2.8Ghz
1Gb RAM
Ati Radeon X1600pro
Windows XP Home SP2

Any thoughts on how to solve this?

AE

noobgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe rebuild it and see if it happens again?

the world is not fair, but people can be.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 19:00
AE, I have that problem even with version 1.14 beta 5 when I have full shaders turned on. I chalk it up to my video card not able to handle full shaders because when I turn it off it is fine. Even though I would love to have full shaders as there is a lot about it that is cool, I've decided not to program with it as a lot of people don't have the graphics card that will even run the basics of full shaders.

Rebuilding might also solve the problem as noobgamer has mentioned because if the map was built with an older version of FPSC, that might cause problems. However, I noticed that using v1.14, I am not able to load some older maps that had -- not disappearing segments -- but textures that were all messed up. So, you could try v1.14 beta 5. I believe that this beta is going to be the official upgrade very soon, so I wouldn't worry about using it. If not it is going to be beta 6 for sure but we won't know that until after January 26th because Lee will be gone until then.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 19:35
Well, at the moment, I'm running V1.13, and the map in question is built with the same version. Shaders are not turned on, though dynamic lights are. I've rebuilt it and the problem still persists.

I've also changed all the lights in the room to static to see if that makes a difference...it does not.

AE

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 19:57 Edited at: 17th Jan 2009 19:58
Ouch, I don't know what's going on, sorry.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 20:55
Update your fpsc, it looks like you're using the version of fpsc with bad culling. The later versions fix this.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 21:39
you've found a visual representation of the single biggest problem in FPSC.

This happens in all versions in different places with everybody, its the reason for the frame rate issues.

FPSC, a lot of the time, doesn't know when to show and hide chunks of the level...a lot of the times it shows whats unnecessary, but you cant see it (unless your in wire frame view).

Rarely though, FPSC does the opposite, and makes a part of the visible level dissipate... this has happened many times to me, in just about every version of FPSC including the current beta.

My suggestion to you, would be to upgrade, if the problem persists, email lee with a reproducible FPM...and we have a chance of it getting toned down a bit, otherwise, ive always rebuilt the parts of the level that do that a bit differently.

http://www.fpsc.seqoiagames.com
gorba flamingo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 00:10
this happened to me too with a segment i made that has an elevated floor, its a pain, isn't it?
im on 1.13 too and have no solution to this problem. im surprised however that it is happening with stock media.

good luck

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/gorbafletch]
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 06:35
This also stopped production of one of my games as well due to any custom walls disappearing when I turn in a certain direction. this happened to me back in 1.08 when i updated. Haven't had the problem since. I hope this gets solved soon for you. It looks like it will help alot of people when it does get solved

Don't just say No it can't be done. Think outside the box.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 23:27:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 23:27:15