Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A way to stop pirates from accessing your game

Author
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 02:53
Sollution:
the game requires a password to use a certain serial:

Serial: 123F-E456-PA76-GFXD-Y8
Login Name: Name (HacksawGames site)
Login Password: Password (HacksawGames site)
(my server for this is being set up atm)

&ip, sent to verification server: verification@hacksawgames.net (will be)

Match = Access
Unmatch = not allow use and email

Embed the cfg file on the HDD in a hidden location, the .exe to make the password work is required to run the game (only log in first time IP changes) and is all hidden in the .exe file, in a way that cant be decoded.

On the HacksawGames site, you will need to put in your email and TGC usernasme if you have one. If that serial is labelled as pirated, the original owner and the people that downloaded the pirated file will not be able to use the game anymore (since the serial is labelled as pirated)

simple

thanks
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Or couldn't you just use phoenix sentry game protection? http://www.phoenix-sentry.com/

]
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 05:50
Quote: "the .exe to make the password work is required to run the game (only log in first time IP changes) and is all hidden in the .exe file, in a way that cant be decoded."

If it cannot be decoded then what use is it?

At the end of the day there is no way you can stop piracy, especially at a software level, you completely missed addressing the ability to alter the exe to simply bypass your password checks and what not. Large companies spend millions(I assume) into research to make it harder to bypass but it still gets done in days or less, even some incredibly elaborate security systems get completely disassembled and reworked in no time. So I'd not waste time coming up with half-baked ideas as to how to stop the inevitable when you can just focus on making games.

If you really don't want piracy then just make an MMO, that way you'll get no piracy until someone rewrites the server which should take quite a while(assuming you never release the server source/binaries).

GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 06:40
so it cannot be understood or located in the exe file. the game will run normal, but it will ask for a serial and the login for that serial when the IP address is changed.
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 06:51 Edited at: 19th Jan 2009 06:55
Quote: "Embed the cfg file on the HDD in a hidden location"

Couldn't you just watch what files are being changes (perfectly possible with the FCL's FileSystemWatcher), log the location, and then pull the plug to prevent the file from being deleted by the application if there is some kind of security.
You then pull all the information out of the cfg. If there is some kind of protection against this at startup, then you could simply plug the hard drive into another computer and grab the file there.

When it comes to piracy, you can't trust the end user. Nothing on the user's computer is at all safe. It can be always be found. For example, inexperienced programmers write a program in a CIL compiled language like C# or VB.NET and stick a bunch of SQL Server or FTP passwords in it. These kind of languages are notorious for being able to be decompiled to MSIL (a kind of assembly language that the .NET JIT Compiler compiles into machine language at runtime), or even right back to your language of choice with a program like Reflector.

You need to do all the authentication on the web, using a web service or something (easy with .NET), and make sure that when encrypting stuff you use asymmetrical encryption to prevent data from being decrypted with the same password it was encrypted with.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
This won't work, especially with your IP system. Nearly all home computer users have a dynamic IP, meaning it is always changing. Mine changes when my connection is reset, or when the router is turned off then on. Dial-up users IP changes everytime they log on, so yeah.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 15:08
Ok, i will try dual-use of product keys to prevent use of 2 installations. I dont know how else at the moment, i have some ideas which i will trail. My server will be set up by the end of the week.

Includes:
hacksaw games website
*@hacksawgames.net email address
Game server hosting ($5/hr.
99% Up time (powered by 1500VA UPS)

Game server specs:
2 x Xeon 2.4Ghz
2gb ECC DDR memory
300Gb storage
-Hosting will be done at server location.

thanks
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Where is your server? Is it in a residential area or a real hosting facility?

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 19:15
When not even pentagons net is safe from some "teenagers with no life", how should gamecompanies protect their games from "teenagers with no life" wich wants games more than hacking into pentagon?

I think its good that people try, but sadly there is always people who wants something for free...

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 19:38
Protecting the game's media is one thing, and that's completly possible with either Vishnu or Phoenix Game Protection.

Protecting the game from being copied amongst friends/pirates is pretty much impossible. Reducing the copying is possible, some companies have had much less issues than expected when not using any copy protection at all for the game, cannot remember who told me this though...

But for example, Good Ol' Games sell, as pretty evident from their name, old games for the PC. Their approach is sort of; "we hate DRM (digital rights management) protection as much as you, and therefore make our games free from any such protection."
I can't speak for everyone, but I think that's a very good approach to things. As honest as most people are on these boards, aren't you honestly tired of always having to dig out your game-disc and put it in the disc drive just because the copy protection requires you to? Perhaps you've had issues with your new comp, and have had to reinstall a game title several times. Some games have protection that prevent you from installing and using your serial more than say five times. Bioshock had this at release, for instance, but it was later removed in an update, I think.

So perhaps we shouldn't seek out the most effective and most expensive way to protect our games, perhaps we should just save that time and money for other things. A lot of advanced protection solutions are very expensive, without it you might save enough money to cut a few bucks off of the retail price for your game? That way the customers will be happy. A lower than usual price is always appreciated, especially among students, whom are a big part of the market. And a low price doesn't mean it's a bad game, look at the Penumbra-series, for example. They're pretty cheap, but really great games.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 20:48
Probably the best way is to hire a really good laywer and sue eveyone wich spreads the game

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
That has to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. Sue everyone which spreads it? What happens when it ends up on P2P network, it would be nearly impossible to track down everyone. People, face it, PIRACY IS NEVER GOING TO STOP. You can't stop it, I can't stop it, and nobody can stop it. People need to open their eyes and look. It's good to see optimistic people, but come on, you can only be optimistic so far before it becomes unrealistic.

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
P2P would be easier to track down people.
You just hook yourself up and you can get the IP of every peer.
Some MMORPG has its server source leaked on a torrent site and that's how they tracked people down and apparently banned their IPs from the game. I think it was EVE Online or something.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2009 23:04
I don't care about ripping other peoples FPSC games. I get more pleasure from making something original anyway.

I do care about protecting FPSC though and report any illegal links I come across.

I've asked Lee not to provide X10 as an electronic download.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 00:07
Quote: "That has to be one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. Sue everyone which spreads it?"

Actually, that may be the better option.

What if you provide no protection whatsoever from pirating. You still have a license that says the users may not redistribute it. You probably just saved a lot of money by NOT worrying about stopping piracy.

Now, after release, go find some people pirating your game. Sue them (You pretty much CAN'T lose the lawsuit) and make money from them. So now instead of losing money from stopping pirates, you're making money from people pirating it.

Yeah, it may be morally wrong to just lay the bait out there and wait, but to heck with them! They know what they're doing is wrong.

And hey, after a while your company will become KNOWN to pick on pirates and to sue everyone you can for pirating your games, and maybe the piracy will slowly diminish (not stop, but be lower than it was)

The one and only,

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 00:16 Edited at: 20th Jan 2009 00:16
These piracy threads are actually annoying me more than piracy itself.

Piracy will never be stopped nor can it be stopped. Face it people. It's just another crime.

If you guys are so desperate on fixing an inevitable crime, fix murder, fix rape, fix child molestation. Fixing those crimes is just as impossible as fixing piracy.

I do agree piracy can be decreased but it can't be completely purged. Nor can any other crime. That's what makes it a crime!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 00:17
Well said Jenkins.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 00:20 Edited at: 20th Jan 2009 00:36
Quote: "Well said Jenkins."

Ditto

Quote: "What if you provide no protection whatsoever from pirating. You still have a license that says the users may not redistribute it. You probably just saved a lot of money by NOT worrying about stopping piracy.

Now, after release, go find some people pirating your game. Sue them (You pretty much CAN'T lose the lawsuit) and make money from them. So now instead of losing money from stopping pirates, you're making money from people pirating it.

Yeah, it may be morally wrong to just lay the bait out there and wait, but to heck with them! They know what they're doing is wrong."

At last!!! You understand the reasoning behind Conjured's stand on piracy!

Just kidding, I couldn't resist.

If they can't afford a video game, then I doubt you will re-coop the cost of your time spent on it, even if you win.

Here is my advice on Piracy...
Focus on developing games for the people who do pay, rather than waste your time chasing the ones that don't.
You'll make a lot more games and have a lot less headaches, and you'll be happier in the end.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
P2P would be extremely hard to track down. Many people use proxies when they do P2P. And an IP can't really do much, getting someones CPU Ident is much more effective (can't be done by web, can be done by software).

GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 00:49
Quote: "Sue them!"

That is what i will do. And i think, i do a forthight check for downloads for my game and i disable the serial for the updates. Cool.

My server is very secure and is hard to track down. I have it in my house. It is a Dell, one of the later models.

I get them for $5 each at a local auction. Even my UPS was $5. I will be hosting servers for games like:
-FEAR
-Red Faction
-Soldiers Of Fortune 3 (very unplayed because of lack of multiplayer servers)
-Ask..

So, i will have a backup of what is on the server, if any idiots try to steal it, i will just go buy another server and go on from there. Also, how will they carry it? it ways about 15Kg, on a rack with the 20kg UPS. That would hurt my back, alot. They wouldnt be able to get it without waking me up (it is in my room) and i coud easilly call the coppers if anyone tries to break in. They could steal the Gateway server because it is small and light.

thanks
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "it is in my room"

Generally hosting stuff on a large scale from normal, residential internet is against an ISP's terms of use... They'll find out and take down your internet, unless you have a special hosting plan.

Xsnip3rX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 03:38
You don't understand, pirates are everywhere, you can never stop them, EVEN if you assign a serial to that person IP Address they will always find a way of getting past that, and some people that buy the products are pirates themselfs, buying it to help out their community or something, Piracy, can't, and won't, ever be stopped, as much as anyone would like it to it's just a simple and real fact.

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 03:54
Quote: "Game server specs:
2 x Xeon 2.4Ghz
2gb ECC DDR memory
300Gb storage
-Hosting will be done at server location."

Is that so, I have a dual cpu Opteron 2.4ghz in my house along with a few other rackmounts too...and i sure would hope that hosting would be done at the server location...

Quote: "My server is very secure and is hard to track down. I have it in my house. It is a Dell, one of the later models."

Mine is also very secure and reliable...In fact mine is on a 10meg bi directional tier 2 dedicated connection with 8 static IPs and has a very large gas generator with an automated cut over and battery backup. I also happen to own an application hosting company and for a game server I charge about 19.99 per month depending on the game that's a far step up from 5$ an hour...

Quote: "So, i will have a backup of what is on the server, if any idiots try to steal it, i will just go buy another server and go on from there. Also, how will they carry it? it ways about 15Kg, on a rack with the 20kg UPS. That would hurt my back, alot. They wouldnt be able to get it without waking me up (it is in my room) and i coud easilly call the coppers if anyone tries to break in. They could steal the Gateway server because it is small and light. "

Interesting my production server is located in Montreal Canada in a secure building with 24/7 security guards...I also happen to use a real host...feel free to ping my server if you want to see ping times...

I cant be further contacted with any inquiry if desired, also I will work with you on actually developing a login system that might be secure...then again you can just face the facts that no software method anti-piracy method is going to be completely secure.

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I run a server off of my regular PC (one I am on now) at http://71.253.77.228:33569/, but I mostly use it for others to test my various scripts, I normally shut it off during my non-business hours (when at school or sleeping), and keep it on when I'm actually on my computer. As of right now, it's time to shut it off.

GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 14:59
ok, i am on 8mbit internet. (380kb/sec upload)

crispex, never, NEVER post your open port (hackers paradise when they find an open port)

thanks
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 18:43
On topic again: To be honest I dont know why FPSC users bother to lay down much work and time at protecting their games, while only every 50th actually get further than just a "My own playground".

I can understand that people wich are 100% of their game is done, and its going to get published, are looking for a way to protect their game...

(dont get me wrong )

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 19:50
I've considered for a long time coding a viru into my programs so that if they are decrypted, and the progrem realises that then the user won't be able to spread it. Mainly because they'll be busy trying to work out why their computer no longer gets past BIOS.

JRH

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 19:56
Like crispex said: 'it's not going to work', my pc ip address changes whenever I turn it on as it's on a DHCP domain controller.

knxrb

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2009 20:00
Quote: "crispex, never, NEVER post your open port (hackers paradise when they find an open port)"

Yes because a hacker can gain access to your computer through just some random port.

GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 02:12
JRH, that would be illegal and people would think that the game is the problem, then it would get badly rated, etc.

What i am going to do, is generate a serial for every user of my game, if a serial is duplicated without notification from the owner of that serial, the game has been pirated. So all updates (required for multiplayer) have that serial banned.

John Smith Gets serial (IP, location and email address is sent in validation for security purposes)> uses > uploads game with his serial > i get dual-useage on my screen > update bans serial from future use > John smith gets sued

more detailed version of this will be on the HG site. Without REAL location information, he cant be sued. None of this information will be passed on, only to the courthouse if that person uploads game illegally. This makes the game secure and if anyone pirates the game, they will also be sued. It does a update check every time the game starts (updates after every pirated serial). So after every update, a serial needs to be re-enterred (like fpsc X10). If a pirated serial is used, that person will be sued (the serial is picked up > IP, location, email address sent > that information sent to courthouse > that person sued.

so the original owner of the game sued
and the pirates sued

a splash screen before setup says :

All game content protected by Hacksaw Games. Re-distribution of product will take the owner and/or re-downloaders further.

Game Media (c) The Game Creators, Hacksaw Games, TGC Forum members.

so game is protected and warned, if they are warned before game is set-up, they will suffer more if sued.

thanks
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 08:02
Good idea GamerDude!

GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 09:21
Also, information must be validated before serial is provided.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
You can't hack someone through a random port, even if they did I have 2 firewalls running, and I don't store any data on this computer that is intended to be secure, so let them try, I don't care.

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 17:18
another stop the pirates topic? this is soooooo annoying you cant stop it and thats it cant you just finally give up? theyre going to find out a way one way or another.till now everything was fine,nobody gave a damn about the pirates,what has gotten into people? piracy topics should be dissalowed,it has the word "piracy in it"

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-20% (ON HOLD)
Doomsday RPG-5%
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 20:55
This isn't a big issue, tbh.

If your game is actually worth pirating, then just sue some of the pirates and make some more money off of them. The amount of mone you could gain from suing someone for piracy would cover the cost of at least 50 copies.

The one and only,

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 21:20
Quote: "another stop the pirates topic? this is soooooo annoying you cant stop it and thats it cant you just finally give up? theyre going to find out a way one way or another.till now everything was fine,nobody gave a damn about the pirates,what has gotten into people? piracy topics should be dissalowed,it has the word "piracy in it""

I agree.

Advertising your methods to stop them is giving them a blueprint of your security.
So, what good does a thread like this do?
Even if you do have a group discussion that results in excellent methods; you have still informed the hackers of it.

These pirate threads are pointless for that reason and should be discouraged since they waste the forum space.

Security is a private matter, even with a honey pot you wouldn't advertise it.
Unless you have developed some sort of game wrapper (which you still would not want to disclose how it works), then I don't see the reason for these threads.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 23:43
Quote: "Advertising your methods to stop them is giving them a blueprint of your security."

I wouldn't call my method of deling with them any type of "security", more of a "Go ahead, give me money, I don't care" sorta deal.

The one and only,

GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Jan 2009 00:39
look, i am only trying to help. please dont post about piracy threads being annoying. i am trying to discuss how to prevent it.

think about it:
Movie borrowed, copied to PC and uploaded for free download > piracy
Game bought, copied to PC and uploaded for free download > piracy
Using models from another game that was not created by you > piracy

i am trying to put some of this to an end.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 15:34
And we're trying to tell you that it is impossible to put it to an end.

Let's say your genious anti-piracy system detects multiple use of a serial. Let's say the guy/gal who bought it has no clue that someones using the same serial. Then you take it to court and sue this persons butt off. Person loses around a thousand times as much money as he/she would've paid to get the game from the beginning. Person can't pay bills, person loses home, persons life is ruined.

It sounds very unlikely, like the possibility of it happening is lesser than never having Jehova's Witnesses knock on your door during your whole life. The problem is that the possibility of completly eliminating piracy is even less likely to ever happen than the previously mentioned excessive scenario.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 15:55
You'll never fix it, it's human nature....

When a country is oppressed, they resist and rebel, when a guy is accused, he denies it, when someone wants something, they'll get it, a quick Google search for a cracker, and BOOM! They have what they want...

It's inevitable, every idea has a flaw, so it's pointless having this argument...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep. Anti-piracy = big joke. They have tried serials, online activation, dongles, cds, ect. and they all failed, so people REALLY need to stop talking about piracy and move on with their lives.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 19:50
It is true that you'll never stop pirates from stealing, hacking and distributing software. It's just as true that you'll never stop people from stealing cars. Does that mean that locking your car doors is a joke? If someone really wants your car, they're going to get it, but does that mean that you should leave your keys in it? And when they do steal it, should you bother to report it stolen?

Just because we will never stop every pirate, doesn't mean that Anti-Piracy is a joke, or that we shouldn't report an incidence to the proper authority. Obviously, telling us all about it does little good, and tends to bring out all the forum lawyers and law enforcement officers to have a field day, but reporting it to someone who can either stop it, slow it down, or take steps to prevent it is always a good option.

Or we can ignore it.

Best.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Anti-Piracy is a joke. Common sense tells you to not leave your keys in your car, ect. But some people would not have common sense with computer things and protection.

Also, in America, (my instructor's husband works for the FBI) said that the only time they really get involved in anti-piracy cases is if the damage is well over $10k. I will admit that most products that are pirated do cost over $10k in damage, but piracy is the scene that is too big to stop. You can shut down the servers, but they will make more. You can destroy the disks with the copies, but someone can produce more.

People blur the line between common sense an anti-piracy.

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
The best thing really is to simply stop people being able to easily copy or steal the assets. The more technically skilled will be able to make a copy no matter what you do. Best to just target the 95% that might be inclined to steal game assets if it's a copy and paste job. The occasional joker that swings by here displaying stolen assets are an example. They would be foiled by a simple encryption system.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 21:13
Quote: "1. BSA expands its “no-fine” self-audit program

I will remember 2007 as the year that the BSA increased its reward program for “anti-piracy” leads to up to $1,000,000. With approximately fifty-five million dollars in global revenue showing on its most recent tax return, BSA will continue to be the most important software police organization in the world. Recently, BSA has created a new audit flavor, it’s a self-audit with a twist. Targets are asked to conduct an audit, provide invoices for software purchased as a result of the audit and the BSA agrees to close its file. I call this the “no-fine” self-audit because once the audit is conducted and materials produced to BSA, the file is in fact closed without protracted settlement negotiations over fines and other terms. I predict that the “no-fine” audit will be used with greater frequency 2008.

http://blawg.bsadefense.com/
"

If Anti-Piracy is a joke, I'd like to get in on some of it.

Best.

daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 23:04
Quote: "If your game is actually worth pirating,"

...LOL.. then you most probably have created an indie hype title and the least you must worry is gameprop piracy...
In fact most of the FPSC stuff around here is or should be done for the clean fun in it- Do not overstretch the "serious-development.inc CEO BLABLA" to much. Make a cool game and enjoy people enjoying it.

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
The BSA has been accused of using brute force and underhand tactics, as basically, anyone who isn't explicitly following their guidelines and a member is considered to be colluding with the pirates.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
GamerDude
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 04:01
do u want some renders? my game has:
-bloom
-lighting occlusion
-motion blur
-bump mapping
-more
(not using EFX)

and why are you trying to prevent me from trying anti-piracy stuff anyway? i am trying to stop it from hapenning to my games. if you dont want t post halp or assistance, just dont post. most people i know that try to stop people from helping with piracy are pirates themselves. please support me as i am trying hard to fix this.

next idea:
updates required to play online (server blocks old updates) updates released when pirated serial or a crack is released.

look people, i am only trying to help, and im asking for ideas and for support.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
It's not like we want peoples games to get pirated, it's just that this topic has been talked about over and over and over and over again. It always leads to nowhere, and no ideas really "help" because they would take a crap load of external programs to do this, and the system is clearly flawed, as with every other system. This is the world we live in, move on with life, and if your game does by chance get pirated, do what you can to catch those who did it, though the chance is highly unlikely.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2009 05:02
Don't worry about those who say nothing can be done. Let them think that way. Take all the precautions and steps you can to keep your media from being stolen, and when it does get stolen, report it to those who can do something about it. That's what we can do.

Best.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 01:18:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 01:18:45