Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Is classical music royalty free?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 02:32
Is classical music royalty free?

eg. k. 545, Moonlight, fur elis that kinda stuff?

Does anyone know if they can sell a product that uses those kinda tunes without paying royalties?

SMD3DInteractive
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 09:14
I believe that once the composer has been dead for 50 years, like in the case with authors and books, you can use it without the need for a license.

If you consider how often classical music gets used, how often it gets recorded and released, personally I can't see how all that would be possible if they had to pay to use the stuff.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 23:33
thanks....and its not like im trying to sell the music...... i just want to use it in a game or something that has potential to make some profit.

SMD3DInteractive
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 00:39
I think it's public domain after 75(UK)/90(US) years from the creator's death. At least that's the case with Popeye I read. Only think to consider is the person playing the piece you want to use. They may not have written it but they are the one performing the musical piece. Kinda like puff daddy and look how much he made off others' work.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 00:52 Edited at: 24th Jan 2009 20:54
yes but id be the one tracking it myself from a book to my composer app.

SMD3DInteractive
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 01:45
oh well in that case, you're allowed to do that.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Daryn Alsup
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 10:23 Edited at: 8th Feb 2009 10:26
Some background on Copyrights. Primarily USA, but below my info you'll find a link to the Intellectual Laws WIKI which should have a link to your state/country or whatever.

Public domain basically is the case for most songs during the classical-time-period, however... at the revolution in which music was being 'stolen' by other composers (there is a really fun chopsticks piece I am sooOOOooo tempted to post) copyrights {{©}} were then brought into effect. If you compose a piece today and die tomorrow- fifty years from now the copyright expires... however, if you pass all of your musical materials (IE songs and their © or even the copy rights to recordings of your songs () to your siblings or family or anyone! then the copyright may in some countries go on indefinitely or until the bloodline ends!!! I suggest you look for your answer again after reading this to further understand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property

Fur, Moonlight and so fourth are all Public Domain. BUT... a word of warning to anyone reproducing a CD recording that is ... Just because the song itself is public domain, if you reproduce a recording and producers/mixers/recorders hear of it- it is very much the same as breaking a copyright. Copyrights (©) are to musicians as Sound Recording Copyrights () are to producers/mixers/recorders. Just read through it.^^^^^^^^^

Laws may have changed and I may need to recite a few things with more current time frames... but as a full time sound designer I am 95% correct most of the time.

Jack and Jill went up a hill to fetch a pale of water... but Jill got tired of his s#%& so she shot him.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 16:45
Thanks for your help

i will make sure i do a good background check before using any...

SMD3DInteractive

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:28:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:28:09